1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Your Baby Gay? What If You Could Know? What If You Could Do Something About It?

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Martin, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I think by "unnatural" there Paul is saying that homosexuality is against what God intended for people. It is an abuse and perversion of His creation (Rom 1:26,28).

Sadly I believe some Christians have painted themselves into a corner with the idea that "scientists will never find a biological link with homosexuality". As Mohler points out the research is going against that idea. I don't like that, Mohler does not like that, but it is reality. I am fairly certain that they will find some sort of biological underpinning to homosexual temptations (not behavior since behavior is a choice). When they do what are those Christians going to do? Deny it even in the face of solid evidence? Change their mind? Deny they ever made such claims? I don't know what they will do. What I am going to say is that it changes nothing. Homosexuality is still a sin and those who practice it will still not inherit the Kingdom of God (1Cor 6:9-10). Why? Because, thanks to the fall and sin, biology does not determine morality. Simply because some temptation has a biological root does not mean that it is ok to give in to that temptation (no matter what the temptation maybe).

==The sin principle remains active in the physical human body even after a person's spirit has been born again (Rom 7:8). That principle will only be removed from the physical body at the resurrection when the physical body is finally redeemed. This is all continued results from the fall.

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I disagree. I do not believe in predestination and this is part of it.

Homosexuality is a choice. To say otherwise is to give the gay community 10 steps forward in legalizing gay marriage.

I can hardly believe that a Baptist wrote this article. The practicing homosexuals have been trying to prove they were 'born' this way forever. If they can prove this, then they don't have to change and they can be saved, and enjoy the same marital rights, spirtual joys, etc. that heterosexuals do.

We certainly don't need Christians lending any credence to this. It simply is not true.

Amen to J of J!

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly what I said. It is a perversion of His creation, it is unnnatural. So it cannot be found in nature. It is against what God intended for people, therefore the source of it will not be found in nature but in the sin nature.

To carry it further, scientists have not found a cause in DNA for any sin: stealing, adultery, murder, idolatry, etc. Any of us are likely to commit any sin. Why? Because we have a sin nature in our non-material soul, not because our body somehow predisposes us to it.

Consider fallen angels. They do not have bodies, but they sin. Right?

Sorry, Romans 7:8 does not say anything about the body. It only proves that saved people have a sin nature, not where that sin nature resides. To reiterate, the almost universal interpretation of the "flesh" in Rom. 7-8 in church history has been the fallen nature of the soul, not the physical body. I just checked 5-6 commentaries, and all agreed on this.

I'm a trichotomist. I believe that the sin nature is in the soul (the non-material essense of a person) not in the spirit (that non-material part of a person which can communicate with God), which is dead until regeneration takes place, or the body (the physical part of a person which communicates with the world around him or her).

Another point. In Hell, people will still have their sin nature, right? Homosexuals will still have that unnnatural lust, righ? Yet at this point in history, they will not have their bodies. The lust is bound in their souls.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I was wondering why you believe those in hell will still have their sinful nature when you need the limbs of the flesh to commit such acts and the body won't be in hell, just the souls of the wicked. Also,you say they will still have their unnatural lust and I was wondering how someone in such pain could be lusting?

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing in the Bible to teach that a person changes their sin nature when they die. Also, remember that there are many sins you don't need your limbs to commit. You know well, I'm sure, that Jesus taught just lusting was committing adultery--you didn't have to commit the physical act to be guilty.

You do have a point, though, when you wonder how someone in such pain could be lusting. However, I think that part of the torment of Hell is the lusting without the power to obtain. A drug addict on earth can be in great pain going through withdrawal, but still crave the drug with every cell of his body.

God bless.

6. amity

amity New Member

I don't recall where the Bible says homosexuality is a 'choice.' That is a modern concept derived from psychology, not the Bible.

I was 'born heterosexual' and yet the sinning is the act of fornication, not being born that way. If I do not fornicate, I have committed no sin. Same with homosexuality. If one is 'born homosexual' (and I really think we are going to lose the battle on this one) then they have not sinned unless they commit homosexual fornication. Right?

The point is, being 'born homosexual' is no worse than being 'born heterosexual' is it? Provided one is committed to following God's word and not acting on one's sinful nature. If one is committed to following every sinful lust, then heterosexuality is about as bad as homosexuality.

#26 amity, Mar 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2007
  7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There could be a very interesting reversal involved in the issues raised. The Puritans of times past, and the "fundies" of today have contended that 'nature' shouldn't be messed with; and that has, at different times, taken the form of no dissecting a human body for study, making it illegal to give pain-killing drugs to a woman in childbirth, and condemning all abortions. Now it may be the liberals who want to stifle research and condemn 'messing with nature', and might try to make abortion illegal for the cause of the child having tested positive for a homosexual propensity, or to try and make changing a fetus' 'sexual nature' illegal. To avoid this contradiction in their previous goals, they are trying to head of research that makes these objectives possible.

But if we are dealing with scientific breakthroughs, they seldom change very much about the vast majority of people and how they live. Proving we could land a man on the moon led to so much speculation and space travel becoming common and colonizing Mars-- we're hardly any closer to such things after 3 1/2 decades. I don't think there's a lot of stock in this... and I'm not sure I'd invest if there is.

Nevertheless, if 2 'standard' [if not 'fundamental'] doctrines are true-- the eternal security of the believer, and that a person must have an understanding of sin to be guilty thereof ('age of accountability')-- then it would be entirely logical to abort a baby determined in the womb to be homosexual. The mother would not lose her salvation for doing so, and the baby would not be guilty of sin, but probably will be guilty of being unrepentantly in sin if allowed to be born and grow up.

For that matter, since the Word says that multitudes choose the way to damnation, and a only a few will be saved, there is a very high risk of producing an eternally damned person by having children. So in the eternal scheme of things, that is not a good thing to do...unless you like to gamble at infinitely high stakes with another person's soul.

8. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is, I think, another angle to consider. If we believe God "forms us in the womb", then why do we think God needs help with the forming? Might it be part of His plan?

2 Corinthians 1:4 "(God)...who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."

Although I know Paul is speaking primarily of persecution here, I think a larger priniciple emerges. Those who have suffered the same kinds of sins and have been brought into a saving relationship with Christ, have a platform that those who have not experienced those sins do not.

There are great ministries of Christian men and women who have come to Christ and have been brought out of homosexuality. They, in turn, have gone back into the homosexual community to preach the same gospel that saves homosexuals from their lusts as saves the "straight" from theirs.

Although I don't think homosexuals must hear the gospel from former homosexuals in order to be saved, there should be no denying that former homosexuals have a better understanding of the pressures and desires that are present.

Just a thought.

peace to you:praying:

9. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

I am sadden to see that this man would even suggest that there is some biological condition connected with this sin.
    The best thing that he did write is this;
    "There is, as of now, no incontrovertible or widely accepted proof that any biological basis for sexual orientation exists."

The problem today is that so many are being led astray and deceived by what causes sin. We seem to forget the words of the master and for some reason want too believe the words of satan instead.
    Jesus said;
    Jhn 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil

Homosexuality is simply like any other sin. it is a choice. There is no predisposed condition that makes one a homosexual except that they are fallen and make sinful choices.

Simply put Dr. Mohler has been deceived if not in the whole certainly in part. Pray for him. :praying:

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever asked a homosexual if he/she chose that predisposition?

Did you choose your heterosexual predisposition?

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==The behavior is a choice the temptation may not be. Keep in mind that we are talking about the temptation and not the behavior.

Also acknowledging a biological link for the temptation is only giving into the gay marriage crowd if you accept the faulty argument that biology equals morality. Since I don't accept that faulty idea I am giving nothing to those who wish to pervert marriage and to justify the perverse.

==Since Mohler is not arguing that people are born gay I have to wonder if you read the article carefully or not. People are not born gay. However people may very well be born with some chemical issues that may cause them to "lean" in the wrong direction and thus have to deal with that temptation. How they respond to that temptation is the choice they must make.

==Of course that only works if you first accept their faulty logic (biology equals morality). I reject such logic as faulty, shallow, and unBiblical.

12. amity

amity New Member

Exactly and amen. If we don't re-think this issue then we will just marginalize Christianity relative to homosexuality. The time is coming when we will have no credibility left on the issue if we keep arguing that homosexual orientation is a "choice." We need to focus on what the Bible focuses on, which is the behavior.

13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==All humans have sin in their natures and in their bodies (Rom 7:18). The fall affected everything. I think part of the problem here is that many Christians don't take the fall seriously enough. Maybe that is the result of our controlled society?

==Again I think your argument here does not give enough credit to the effects of the fall. The physical body does harbor sinful leanings (Jms 1:14-16, Rom 7:18, etc). Another point is that there are proven biological links to certain temptations. I think of alcoholism. Biological children of alcholoics are more likely to be alcholoics if they start drinking. Why? Biology and the effects of the fall. Are those people born drunks? No. However they are born with biological factors that, under the right conditions, may cause them to become drunks if they don't resist the temptation to start drinking. Biology does not determine morality so they are accountable for their behaviors. God will not condemn them for being tempted but He will condemn them for acting out on their temptations. The same with this issue.

==We have bodies and sin is in our bodies (Rom 7:18).

==I meant Romans 7:18, sorry. My Bible is marked up and sometimes it is hard for me to read verse numbers.

==I, like many theologians, do not believe that born again Christians still have a sinful nature (2Cor 5:17). The issue in Romans 7 is not our nature but our physical bodies which have not yet been renewed. It is about the war between our born again natures and our yet to be redeemned bodies which are still infected with sin (Rom 7:18, Gal 5:17).

==Well, I think they are wrong and I can find plenty of good scholars who disagree with your commentaries. So what? We have to look at the text for ourselves. What does Paul say? "For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not" (also Rom 7:21-25).

==Their body, soul, and spirit remain dead in sin (ie..unredeemed).

==Actually they will get their bodies (Rev 20:5,11-15). Also since they are dead in sin, and not redeemed, then yes they will be drowning in all sorts of sin (Rev 21:27).

14. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I do not accept the faulty argument that biology equals morality, but the gay right movement does and will use anything they can to prove it, no matter how silly.

I don't need to re-think something God has made quite clear in his Word.

15. amity

amity New Member

Where? All I see in the Bible is condemnation of the behavior.

If we keep harping on how sexual orientation is a 'lifestyle choice' and denying any biological basis, while it is becoming more evident all the time that there is one, then we will simply be adding credibility to the gay rights activists' claims by diminishing our own. If they can prove there is a biological basis, that they are right and we are wrong on the base assumption, then it will appear that the biological basis of homosexuality DOES constitute a justification for gay marriage, etc., and all their social aims become more plausible.

Let me further my analogy to astronomy: If I continue to say that the earth is the center of the universe, or that it is flat, am I likely to be taken seriously enough to ever have input into policy decisions affecting space exploration? I might have some fine ideas about space exploration, but they will never have a chance to get on the agenda because my base assumptions have been labelled crackpot. We are now in danger of putting ourselves into that position on homosexuality.

If I thought there was some scriptural basis for this position I would support it to the end, believe me, but in fact I have never seen a scriptural foundation for it.

BTW, I expect most of us now accept that alcoholism has a biological basis. And yet no one argues that the biological predisposition toward alcoholism makes alcoholism desirable, justifiable, unavoidable, etc. Why is admitting a biological basis to homosexuality going to necessarily be so radically different? We still have just as strong a moral argument as ever.

#35 amity, Mar 4, 2007
  16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Sin is caused by our fallen natures. If a person is unsaved that sinful nature is in their body, soul, and spirit. They are totally dead in their sins. However if that person is saved their soul and spirit have been born again. However their bodies have yet to be renewed and they continue to live in a sinful society. Therefore believers still sin. Because of the fall it is not hard to believe that people maybe born with biological "goofs" that can lead them into sin if they don't come to Christ and learn to follow Him instead of their instincts (so to speak). Mohler is only being Biblically consistant and dealing with the apparent evidence.

==The behavior is a choice. I agree and I am sure Mohler would agree as well. However, and this should be clear to anyone who carefully examined his arguments, this is not about the behavior. This is about things that may cause the temptation in the first place. Those causes maybe external, internal, or maybe in some cases biological.

==So you deny that the fall has caused biological errors?

==No, Mohler is not decieved. I think the problem here is that you don't understand what he is trying to say. Too many Christians have knee-jerk reactions to things. I am not pointing fingers for many times I have been guilty of jumping before thinking myself. I think if Christians would stop, take a deep breath, and really carefully consider what Mohler is (and is not) saying there would be very little disagreement.

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==So? Are you suggesting we ignore facts (if any come to light) simply to avoid giving them an argument (no matter how faulty)? If so I disagree. The Bible has the answers. The Bible is not afraid of biology nor is it afraid of the gay rights perverts. The Bible teaches that the fall of man was complete and total. Sin infects every aspect of this fallen creation. That includes biology.

Keep in mind we are talking about the causes of temptation and not people's actions (how they respond to temptation). Temptation is not a sin.

18. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Mohler is pre positioning himself

Mohler is pre positiioning himself for the obvious...and if you would actually sit down and listen to other people and actually ask them and respect that instead of trying to explain it away for them.

They will say: I was born this way

Common sense provided by the Holy Spirit: Discernment says that these Gods children are

BORN THAT WAY

mohler is just trying to be ahead of the science that is building and building that says the same thing.

I have said it ever since I have been on the BB these people deserve mercy and it is a test of love and that they are born gay because they
    say so. They are born between a man and a woman and most feel confusion and trapped they are like hybrids...it is so obvious if you just step back and discern...see...listen...hear. Perhaps they will have a choice in the future with genetics and a genetic serum...but it will be their choice
    then...but we should promote hope...mercy and love.

That simple.

Mohler is trying to please both sides...but guess what he just opened the flood gates.

I appreciate the BB mods for letting this go on...I see it as some validation of what I have been saying all along.

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr Mohler did a show on this Friday.

Listen to his program here.

His comments on this really start at 12:20 mark.

Btw...please listen to the whole program. Don't just "assume" you know what he is saying. I say that because it is clear, from replies here, that many are not carefully reading what he "is" saying. At 35:00 he answers some objections.

#39 Martin, Mar 4, 2007
  20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, amity, but don't expect many here to agree with you. After all, making good sense is not considered a virtue my many here.

We already know that gene q28x is the basis of a predisposition to male homosexuality. That is simply a fact, but, unfortunately, a fact that is either ignored or denied by so many Christians.

Are homosexuals "born that way?" Yes. We are all "born that way." It is called "the sin nature." "The natural man." One besetting sin is the sin of homosexuality. Another is the sin of denial that so many Christians seem to be reveling in.

But, as you so correctly said, just because a person is "born that way" is no excuse for giving in to the sin nature. I was born male and heterosexual. But it was a sin for me to seek to gratify those heterosexual desires prior to marriage, and after marriage to seek to gratify those heterosexual desires with any woman except my wife.

And remember the words of Jesus in Matthew 19:

4 And He answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female,'
    5 "and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'?
    6 "So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate."
    7 They said to Him, "Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?"
    8 He said to them, "Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.
    9 "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery."
    10 His disciples said to Him, "If such is the case of the man with his wife, it is better not to marry."
    11 But He said to them, "All cannot accept this saying, but only those to whom it has been given:
    12 "For there are eunuchs who were born thus from their mother's womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it."

A unuch is any person with an abnormal sexual desire, including the lack thereof, often due to physical emasculation, but lacking a desire for women can also be the result of a genetic predisposition to homosexuality. Unfortunately there are some who cannot "accept it." :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.