1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is your church THIS yet?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gina B, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

One of the benefits of being old is I will not have to see the Church for which Jesus Christ shed His blood descend to this degradation. Of course it is not a true Church but some believers will participate!

Many congregations have already moved well past my beliefs of what constitutes worship.

3. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been to that "church" and I left it for something more real. I've always said that when the church competes with the world, the church will always lose. If I want to go to a concert I'm go to a concert that will be way better then anything a 'church' could put on. All those types of 'churches' can do is a cheap imitation of what the world is doing.

4. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's Show Time. My wife and I attended an open house at a church a few years ago and the first thing we noticed were speakers the size of Volkswagen's. We left.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do go to a contemporary church. I love it. Oh well.:(

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Makes me want to load my shot gun. :smilewinkgrin:

8. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No offense, but this shows how behind you are.

1) This video has been around a while.

2) This kind of Christianity is out of vogue, or quickly becoming so. I can say that b/c the demographics are showing that millennials are leaving these churches and going...

to Catholic, Orthodox, and heavily liturgical churches!!!

Why? They are looking for substance. (though you may or may not think liturgy can be substantive, that's not the point)

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I go to a church that has both contemporary and traditional music in their services. The contemporary service does not rise to the pretentiousness shown in the video (but I can see how certain performances of songs might) and the sermon is always straightforward and solid without dramatic histrionics. The video screens are used to show Bible verses and the sermon outline. There is almost never a video introduction, video, or photos during the sermon.

As far as having "cheap imitations" of the world is doing, I dare say my church has musicians, facilities, and performances that are top notch. They regularly host CCM concerts like Toby Mac, Mercy Me, Casting Crowns, Matthew West etc. So yeah, if I want to go to a good concert, I could go to my church.

#9 InTheLight, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  10. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So contemporary churches don't have substance?

11. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that is what the OP was getting at. But the demographics would argue that millennials are leaving the entertainment focused, seeker-sensitive churches for the litrugical ones. So do with that what you will.

12. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christians probably need to stop the self defeating trend of denigrating their brethren over something as simple as a permutation of musical instruments and the use of technology. As long as the church is based on strong biblical doctrine then I fail to see the productivity of slamming it. People have preferences of course but people seem to feel the need to justify their concept of preference by attempting to put down that which they don't relate to. If it's the music then just say I prefer a more traditional style of worship and fellowship and leave it at that. I didn't choose to join my church for the music but it's there and I enjoy it.

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nicely stated. I'd also add Christians probably need to stop the self defeating trend of denigrating their brethren over something like <fill in the blank>

Also, I prefer the traditional service with hymns but my two teenagers prefer contemporary.

14. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I think as believers we can get in our own way sometimes which is inevitable I guess considering the magnitude and scope of the source material in which we believe.

Our worship generally has traditional and contemporary songs but they are all played by the same musicians which will trend towards a more modern style. Either way it's only three songs and then we go into the message so I can deal with it for the ten minutes or so if I don't like it. At no point has it ever been something I would consider leaving the church over or declaring it "worldly."

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I don't think the age of the video is a big deal, as many churches take a decade or three to catch up with trends.

Contemporary styles definitely does not mean an automatic lack of substance, but the specific, very predictable actions being parodied in that video are, in some churches, what defines the services rather than true substance and sustenance. A Band-aid for mortally wounded souls, with a great emphasis on gathering funds to pay for the nice show.
    I've only visited one that was exactly like this parody, but some have come close or are getting there.
    The point of posting it is a warning - how spiritually effective are our churches? Is it being measured by numbers and cash flow, or by lives forever changed and marked by ongoing discipleship?

Btw, I personally enjoy a bit of liturgical style in services. It gets in your head and brings you words at times when you're alone, that may otherwise have no words. Some people I talk to dislike it very much and say it reminds them of growing up Catholic or such.

16. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Contemporary churches do not require a warning. It's just different. The whole band-aid for mortally wounded souls and accusing churches of going by "cash flow" is just a guessing game based on preconceptions and assumptions which serves no purpose other than to be divisive. The whole contemporary vs. traditional battleground is a bigger issue than a musician that has the audacity to plug into an amplifier or the simple use of a bumper video. If you like a traditional church, then go to one. You'll find that if you're heart is focused in the right place things will work out just fine. If you dig enough every church is going to have problems. Spiritual warfare is real and I believe that satan finds topics like these extremely beneficial. We're all on the same side aren't we?

#16 Use of Time, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

All churches need warnings. It is very easy to do wrong. If I did not care, my mouth would stay shut.
    Some churches not using funds wisely is definitely real and not based on mistaken perceptions. It is wrong.
    I do hope we're on the same side! Most definitely. We need to stick together and fix problems we see and take joy together in good things.

18. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but my observations about churches misappropriating funds or some other fundamental issue are usually confined to factual evidence of the aforementioned issues. These concerns are usually focused on ones home church since it is the one we have the most information on. I'm not going to make generalizations based off of denominations or preferences of worship. The opening post was assuming misdeed based on the type of music being played. Contemporary churches don't have exclusive rights to the misuse of funds. Warning churches of these issues is fine but trying to generalize an entire type of church makes it seem like we are looking for problems because these churches don't cater to our preferred style of worship.

19. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It is interesting that music is being pointed out as the sole concept (hey, change that to soul concept for a cool new idea!) of what this video says.
    The pricey looking stage show and lights, singing the song in hopes of selling it instead of for worship, the purposeful manner of dressing/showing tats, the idea of saying giving money is between you and G-d but that they're watching you, the practiced voice emphasis and expressions, pulling at heartstrings with the same imagery commercials use to raise money for dogs and chhildren, the coffee cups - it all was included. While each of those on their own might not say a ton, when you see them together, it highlights an issue that is problematic.
    That issue is the disconnect from - dare I use the new term - having a soul concept of worship. Too much emphasis on superficial things, which can make sincerity more difficult.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahh Gina...a kindred soul you are....longing for the depth of worship. Hard to find. Those places are businesses, entertainment centers.

Find a place that's small and intimate where God is sincerely preached and studied....even if that place is your kitchen table. There will always be 3 others with you if you feel lonely. Perhaps its time for your soul to breathe the fresh air of the spirit instead of all the clamer. Now I'm not advocating a stay at home church just some detox time and a time to find a genuine place to worship.

No