1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is your church THIS yet?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gina B, Feb 17, 2015.

1. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In reference to the video in the first post, nothing like that exists around here and hope it never does. Each local church can set their own order of worship, but the one common thing should be to praise and honor the Lord. That video was nothing but noise. I have nothing against contemporary music itself, except that it seems to repeat a chorus 100 times. Lots of the traditional hymns have meaningful theology in their stanzas if one will just listen to them.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard the whole repeating choruses thing a lot but I honestly rarely hear that. The contemporary songs usually have the same song structure as your usual easy listening pop/rock song. Three verses, a chorus and maybe a breakdown between the second and third verse.

3. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

My biggest issue with contemporary music, which I don't mind listening to on a long car ride, or at work, is that it often lacks the theological depth of the older, more traditional songs. Much of the "Praise and Worship" music very similar. There are whole threads dedicated to that in the Music Ministry forum.

4. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe. The catalogues are so vast that we'd just be comparing sample sizes anyway. It's just the heart of worship. If you spend the 10 minutes or so that is usually set aside for worship music with your heart where its supposed to be then things will probably work out.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the years I've been attending contemporary services I've only heard one or two songs that do this. And, yes, it is annoying!

Absolutely. That is a good thing.

When I used to attend a KJVO church they were against using video screens for projecting hymn lyrics, preferring the actual hymn book instead. I thought that a bit short-sighted. Visitors and others that don't sing along aren't going to pick up the hymnal, so they aren't going to see the words to the songs. If the words were projected on a screen they would have to see them!

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Generally speaking, this is true. However, I have found that while the older traditional hymns will have more theology, they don't speak to my heart as much as contemporary songs. Trad song appeal to my intellect, whereas contemporary songs appeal to my spirit.

Yes, it can be. I've seen the flip side too. Churches get stuck in a rut of 20 trad hymns that they repeat over and over. Also, Calvinistic churches will have generic "God is Great" or similar hymns over and over again.

7. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's also worth mentioning that most contemporary churches still play trad songs albeit with modern instrumentation.

8. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I have only been to contemporary services when traveling, so I do not have a lot of experience. I do not mind the style of music, I would just like to see more variety of words. As you said, that is more the case than not. Actually I like your idea about the screen very much. Lots of people visitor and member will not pick up a hymnal.

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and I love that! A new twist on old favorites.

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I have you to thank for that... Took me nearly one week to get it out of my head.

Now if I could just forget about that trip through the desert on a horse with no name. La, la, la-la, la-la-la...

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Use of Time, if the video does not represent your church, why are you upset? The video shows a number of things that are not bad or wrong, but are being used in a bad or wrong way to manipulate people into feelings, out of money, or to have a false sense of trust.
    You seem to be defending something that needs no defense, or something IS wrong and needs fixed rather than defending. What are you really upset about?

12. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't recall being upset with you Gina B. The church in the video probably isn't representative of many churches at all considering it is a parody video where everything is exaggerated for comedic effect. Every comment I have made in this thread has been a direct response to someone attempting to generalize or denigrate based off assumptions and personal preference. Nothing to do with the video at all really.

Yeah, I was getting pretty irritated with EWF's antics when she decided to tell me to walk off a pier along with my pastor and then demand that I qualify my churches's existence to her. Probably justifiable things to get irritated by wouldn't you say?

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Sometimes it takes that much repetition for something to start getting through to me. I remember one time very specifically when I didn't expect a chorus to be repeated. It was a bit annoying at first, then it made me think of what it was saying, then what it meant, until I ended up in that place where you're just speechless and grateful over the holiness of who we serve.

Now if you're looking for a small break in the service to run and use the bathroom and one of those songs is happening - totally different story!

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Gotta try looking at things different, UoT. Maybe being told to walk off a Pierre means the person thinks you can walk on water. Perhaps there is something dangerous on the Pierre, and walking off it would keep you safe.
    Or even better, it is the only way to escape auto-correct. You certainly don't want to be all over some French guy.

15. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure it was meant with the best of intentions.

16. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps the early ccm repeated the chorus 100 times but that's just not the case anymore. Furthermore you can certainly find many traditional hymns that are completely man-centered. I guarantee you that for each traditional hymn that you can produce that is doctrinally sound I can produce a contemporary song that is equally doctrinally sound.

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Called 7/11 music by my Elder brother. That is only 77 times but about 70 times too many!

18. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

The church I attend was doing all contemporary and has decided it just wasn't accomplishing what they wanted to be accomplishing.

It was the music leaders that fessed up just how they were manipulating and just what they were up to. Make of that one instance what you will.

Surely whoever said the contemporary crowd never puts down the traditional crowd was jesting! :BangHead:

Nothing will get you trashed faster in denominational, convention, associational, and some church circles than simply saying you prefer traditional music.

With friends very active in another denomination who really dominated the CCM publishing for many years, and has recently been caught in a money scandal, and being a group Lifeway has pushed music for for years, yeah, I'm one who believes an instinctual disliking of CCM in corporate worship is being vindicated.

I see nothing wrong with listening to it just as I would carefully pick country, or pop, or rock, or whatever. But in corporate worship?

Nah, I'm there with the young folks. Give us worship less focused on being just another media production to watch.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My son & his friends....20 somethings just laugh at it. Don't see any real depth to it. To him, the real depth is being out in the "Real World" helping widows & orphans. And I'm really proud of that if truth be known.:thumbs:

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes but my church sings hymns & does so in a Capella. Have you ever heard 4 part sacred hymn music?