1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Isaiah 38:8

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by jbh28, Feb 12, 2014.

1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

The old thread was closed. This was a sub topic on that thread.

"So the sun turned back on the dial the ten steps by which it had declined."

"So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down."

Is there any error on the passage?

So there's no error in the passage itself.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think God did 'something" to make it appear that the Sun was affected, but that it did happen just as described!

3. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

There are two things to note here. It doesn't actually say the sun moved more that the suns shadow moved.

Behold, I will make the shadow cast by the declining sun on the dial of Ahaz turn back ten steps." So the sun turned back on the dial the ten steps by which it had declined.

Behold, I will bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the sun dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down.

So unless you read the last sentence by itself, it's more of the shadow. Now, one could interpret it that the sun moved and thus the sun revolves around the earth, but that's just a misinterpretation. It's not an error in the Bible.

And even if you go with the sun moved, as I've stated a few times, it's from the writers perspective. The sun set, the sun rose. We say that and understand that the sun isn't actually moving.

And yes, this is all the working of God. God could move the sun if he wanted to.