1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Isaiah 45:7

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Blood Bought 7, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Blood Bought 7

Blood Bought 7 New Member

I'm not exactly sure where this post belongs, but I want to hear a few takes on this. Many people have tried teaching me that God didn't create evil... but then I got a hold of this verse:
    Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
    I'm just looking for comments and am curious to see what people have to say to this scripture. As a baptist I hold to the bible as my soul athority for faith and practice, I suppose I just want to see how other christians feel about this verse.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This has come up before on other threads...the word translated there as "evil" is translated in some versions as "calamity." In context this shows that God is sovereign over all that happens, not that he is the author of evil.

Below is the NET bible commentary on this verse:
    Check out similar passages in Is. 31.2, 47.11, and Amos 3.6

If you look at some commentaries, you will find them pretty much saying what is said above.

I see from your profile that you belong to a Baptist church, so you could have posted this in the Baptist Theology and Bible Discussion Forum. This issue is not really an "other christian denominations" topic.

3. Blood Bought 7

Blood Bought 7 New Member

I understand that, but I wanted to hear from people other then just baptists

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, what is evil but sin? I don't know why anyone is going to take the position that God created sin.

I only suggested the other thread because you said you were not sure where to post this.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Spend some time on the calvinism/arminianism thread. I am in discussions with a calvinist who claims God is the author of sin (and unfortunately there are others).

6. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

I'll go along with Marcia.

Will have to add this to my list of KJB mistakes.

7. bmerr

bmerr New Member

BB7,

bmerr here. I'm a member of the chruch of Christ. I'd look at this in light of where "evil" is used elsewhere, especially when it is God Who is bringing it.

One such example might be Ex 32:12, where God was ready to wipe out the Israelites, and start over with Moses. Moses asked God to "...Turn form thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people".

The Hebrew word (thank you Strong's) means, adversity, calamity, affliction, distress, harm, hurt, sorrow, trouble, etc. This word (Strong's #7451) is by far the most widely used in the OT.

Understanding "evil" to mean this, I think we can understand what the prophet was saying. God brings peace to those nations who obey Him, and calamity to those who don't.

It would certainly be dangerous to conclude that God is the author of sin. Ooh! I don't even want to think about the quandary that would put one in!

Hope this helps.

In Christ,

bmerr