1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Isaiah 53:3

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rolfe, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question that I have wondered about today.

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. -Isaiah 53:3.

I am curious about the description of Christ as a "Man of Sorrows, and acquainted with grief". I cannot understand if this indicates simply that he was to know many sorrowful events in His Life on earth (essentially describing the same thought two ways), or if it suggests that He would have a tendency toward what we would call depression while also mentioning that he would experience grief. Or if I am missing it all together...

I know that my question may be poorly asked. Could not think of a better way to write it.

Thanks.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was just as any and all men born of the flesh, experienced in all temptation impulses, desires, yet without sin.

He expressed the full range of emotions from anger to joy while in the flesh.

He was truly a "man of sorrows and acquainted with grief" and humankind had not a care to give aid and comfort, but would mock and jeer, stand afar, and wonder.

We, "hid, as it were, our faces from Him" and even the Father would spend for a time that intimate fellowship, yet not abandon Him - Never, just as He will not abandon the believer - though our relationship may loose the intimacy because of our own sin and iniquities.

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agedman, thanks.

You mention joy. I cannot seem to find in Scripture any mention of Christ laughing.

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Add for clarity: My question in the OP was primarily about Christ's temperament.

5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think Joy has anything to do with laughing (while it COULD accompany it).

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that this verse (verse 3) is speaking of the same "sorrows" (or pains) and griefs (or sickness) of verse 4, where it is said that He bore our griefs and carried our sorrows and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.

I do not believe that this passage is speaking to Jesus experiencing sorrows or hardships throughout His lifetime. Neither does it seem that it is speaking of a tendency towards what we would call depression. That word for grief is also a word meaning sickness. I believe that the prophet is pointing to Jesus taking on not only humanity but bearing our sins and dying on the cross. This parallels with other passages (such as Psalm 22) when God's Righteous One is viewed as suffering at the hands of men but through the will of God for the purpose of redemption.

7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks JonC. I had not considered that view.

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus took the cup of suffering , the wrath of God , and that was terrible suffering!