1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Isaiah on the "Free Will" of the Unregenerate Man

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is possible that what you suggest is the case. What is more likely, in my opinion, is that Spurgeon uses the term "regeneration" in the Winman quote like all of us do sometimes- as a synonym for salvation since it is most certainly a vital part of salvation and since it leads to salvation inevitably.

I will sometimes say, "You must be SAVED, dear friend!"
    Other times I will preach, "You must be JUSTIFIED, good neighbor!"
    Other times I will say, "You must be BORN AGAIN (regenerated), dear sir!"

Since they are appropriate to use interchangeably then to do so is just fine.

But when speaking specifically about each one we must be more pointed and clear.

In the Winman quote, Spurgeon was, imo, simply using "regeneration" as a synonym for salvation as I do above.

In my quote, Spurgeon is speaking theologically and specifically and being more precise.

It is most likely that Spurgeon always believed, since the earliest days of his ministry that regeneration precedes faith- which is most assuredly what the Bible clearly teaches.

God bless!

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Oh, Willis, my brother! Why can't I open your eyes to see this!?!:praying:

That is the case with EVERY SINGLE SINNER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD.

NO SINNER would ever come if God did not overcome "their love of self, pride, haughtiness, etc..."

There are not good sinners who will come and bad sinners who will not come.

There are just bad sinners who will not come unless God humbles them and gives them a heart to come.

This drips from every page, every paragraph, between every set of punctuations of holy writ! Why can you not see it my beloved brother in Christ!?!?

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Nope, CHS didn't use the word "regeneration" as you think he did, but stated it like this:

Two different times he said that the regenerated is saved already. Now, he could have wrote this in an earlier sermon, and then changed his mind later through much study, or vice versa, but he does have quotes used by both sides that state something entirely different.

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I have never stated that there is such a thing as "good" and "bad" sinners. All sinners are bad in God's eyes, and are under His wrath, under the curse of death, in the state of reprobation, etc. Until we are placed in Christ, and given life, we are under condemnation. No one has life w/o faith, no one has life outside of Christ, no one has life, and then later on believes. Belief in the One who died for us is what causes us to be alive in Him.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

He is saying exactly what I said he was saying- that regeneration, in that sense, is a synonym for salvation.

This quote furthers what I purported.

#85 Luke2427, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012
  6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You have indicated that you believe there are these two classes of sinners.

One is a proud class of sinners that do not get saved.

The other is a humble class of sinners that do get saved.

All sinners are proud and none of them come to the light unless they are drawn by the Father and given a new heart that can receive the Gospel and Christ.

This bunch of humble sinners that you speak of is foreign to the Bible and reality.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I feel so warm and affirmed now knowing that I am pointless and irrelevant. :)

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

It took you THAT long to figure this out? J/K :laugh: :D :wavey: :flower:

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

John Dagg in his Manual of Theology, page 279 states:
    The term regeneration is sometimes used in a comprehensive sense, as including the whole formation of Christian character. At other times it is used for the first production of divine love in the heart. In the latter sense, the work is instantaneous. There is a moment known only to God, when the first holy affection exists in the soul.

/snip/

Faith is necessary to the Christian character; and must therefore precede regeneration, when this is understood in its widest sense.

Dagg is saying that in its comprehensive sense regeneration is used as the inclusive term, salvation. At other times it is used to indicate the New Birth.

I suspect that, in some sermons, Spurgeon is using regeneration to mean all of salvation, in which case faith is included in salvation. At other times, as I showed in an earlier post, he uses regeneration to mean the New Birth.

I have posted on numerous occasions my understanding of regeneration, the work of God the Holy Spirit, and conversion the inevitable response of the regenerate man in faith.

REGENERATION
    The initial event in salvation of the elect is regeneration, the theological term synonymous with ‘rebirth’ or ‘being born again’. Regeneration is solely the work of God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, whereby those who are spiritually dead in trespass and sin are made spiritual alive and are brought into union with Jesus Christ. Whereas the unregenerate person has no disposition, interest, or desire for the things of God the regenerate person is a new creation and is now receptive to the ‘effectual call’ of the Holy Spirit.

CONVERSION
    Conversion is the result of conscious act of a regenerate person in which he responds to the Gospel, and turns to God in faith and repentance. [The Gospel call becomes the effectual call!] In conversion the regenerate man exercizes the gift of faith bestowed upon regeneration. Regeneration must precede conversion since Scripture tells us: But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. [1 Corinthians 2:14] It is important to realize that conversion is a personal experience of a regenerate person with Holy God. Therefore, since no two people are alike we should not expect that they will have the same conversion experience. God saves people one at a time!

10. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Regeneration before faith is as ridiculous, just like regeneration before the working of the Holy Spirit in your life through His word is ridiculous.

1 Peter 1:12
    It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

What Spurgeon is saying to me simple is someone on the street who never heard the Gospel of their salvation can never have any life in them.

It takes the working of the Holy Spirit which Jesus word is Spirit and life to be regenerated.

#90 psalms109:31, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012
  11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Help me out.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: the gift of God:

Does not this verse say that the gift of God, salvation, is given because of the grace of God that is the result of, through faith (in GNT Morph) ( through the faith in TR)?

Therefore does this not mean that first there was, faith or the faith, then God gave grace and because of the two of these there is salvation?

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Here again we have salvation, he saved us. That is salvation was wrought for us. Where is the faith and or the grace here, in this salvation? It has to be here somewhere. We do see something new here. Mercy. I do not think mercy and grace are the same thing. Let us look for the grace through the faith.

Titus 3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,

That is speaking of Jesus and he appeared and died. Romans 5:9 says we are now justified (made righteous) by his blood (death). Romans 3:22 says the righteousness of God is by the faith of Jesus. Gal 2:16 says man is not justified (made righteous) not by works of the law but by the faith of Jesus. Romans 3:25 says God (the Father) set forth Jesus the Son, a propitiation (a place of mercy) through the faith (GNT and TR) in his blood

I believe we can see here God's mercy was according to the faith of Jesus Christ. Through the faith of Jesus the Father set forth him a place of mercy bringing the grace of God. How? What is the grace of God toward the dead Jesus Christ. John 17:1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

1 Peter 1:21 Who by him (Jesus the Son) do believe in God,(the Father) that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. What is the glory of the Living God? by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit;

Whose faith, whose mercy, whose grace, whose salvation.

We will receive the gift of God through Jesus Christ. Because he received therefore in due time we also shall receive. Joint heirs with Christ.

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Another "spot-on" post, Brother. :applause::godisgood::jesus::applause:

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you agree with this?

They preached the gospel, because they had been given the promise of the Holy Spirit from heaven.

Paul asked this question. Gal. 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Of course the hearing of faith is the correct answer. What did Jesus the Christ himself say concerning the Holy Spirit being given to one?
    John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

The Comforter is the Holy Spirit to be sent from heaven is it/He not? The promise of the Holy Spirit would not and I say could not be given sent to the sheep unless Jesus did go away, whatever that means.

Is this the truth or not?

Galatians 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise (of the Holy Spirit) by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. (That believe, the sheep.)

Why can none that read these forums not understand that, the faith, they were hearing of by which they received the Holy Spirit was Jesus the Christ going away, dying on the cross see Gal. 2:20,21 and 3:1.

The faith of Jesus Christ was him dying on the cross. Poured out his soul (life blood) unto death. The soul is the blood.

BTW that preceded mercy, and grace. And in one of those we find regeneration.

#93 percho, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
  14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Titus 3:6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior;

Which, is the Holy Spirit. How was the Holy Spirit, the Comforter shed on us?

Because He Jesus the Christ had gone away. He died, for the sin of the world had been lain on him by God his Father. He lay dead in Hades covered with all the filthy sin of the world.

John 16:19-22 Now Jesus knew that they were desirous to ask him, and said unto them, Do ye enquire among yourselves of that I said, A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me? Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy. A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world.And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you.

Col. 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all he might have the preeminence.

What happened to all that filthy sin?

by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit;

It was washed from the dead Jesus, his soul was not left in Hades, the firstborn from the dead, the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit;

Is this not what the word of God says?

15. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Acts 10 :
    39 “We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a cross, 40 but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen. 41 He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42 He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead. 43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

Acts 1:4
    On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.

Acts 2
    The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost

2 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[Or languages; also in verse 11] as the Spirit enabled them.

1 Peter 1:12
    It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things.

Ephesians 1:13
    And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

Romans 11 :
    20 Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

2 Peter 1 :
    3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters,[The Greek word for brothers and sisters (adelphoi) refers here to believers, both men and women, as part of God’s family.] make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Psalm 22:5
    To You they cried out and were delivered; In You they trusted and were not disappointed.

John 20 :
    29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Hebrews 11 :
    3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

2 Corinthians 4:18
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

I was included with the elect when I heard the Gospel of my salvation having believed. If God did not pick the elect there will be no one spreading the message. They are nothing Jesus is everything. The one who sends the messenger is greater than the messenger. God could pick a donkey, a burning bush, a worm to be His messengers, but it does not mean they are saved by the Holy Spirit that sent them, only those who trust in the one who sends will be saved. The Jews is an example how much election can save a man without trusting in the one who elects.

Jude 1:
    5 Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord[Some early manuscripts Jesus] at one time delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe.

#95 psalms109:31, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
  16. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There seems to have been a bit of ambiguity with Spurgeon. Perhaps it's because he was a Fullerite? Lots of ambiguity to be found there.

http://evangelica.de/articles/doctrine/an-unworthy-gospel-fullerism/

http://www.littlezionpbc.org/Materials/What_is_the_Problem_with_Fullerism_10 Points_021607.htm

http://evangelica.de/articles/doctrine/why-i-am-not-a-follower-of-andrew-fuller/

17. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the links above doesn't work, this one does:

http://marchtozion.com/history/514-what-is-the-problem-with-fullerism

#97 kyredneck, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  18. OldRegular

Convicted1: Your posts do not comport with what the Tozer quote you advertise states.

“Salvation is from our side a choice, from the divine side it is a seizing upon, an apprehending, a conquest by the Most High God. Our ''accepting'' and ''willing'' are reactions rather than actions. The right of determination must always remain with God.” A.W. Tozer

19. OldRegular

20. OldRegular

In the Op I quoted a passage of Scripture from Isaiah about a man whittling his god out of a piece of firewood. That passage has always demonstrated to me the foolishness of the idea of unregenerate man and freewill. The Apostle Paul's remarks concerning the freewill of unregenerate mankind is perhaps more descriptive of what we see today, particularly the acceptance of rampant abortion and homosexuality [Verses 26, 27, 32].

Romans 1:20-32
    19. Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
    20. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
    21. Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
    22. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
    23. And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
    24. Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
    25. Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
    26. For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
    27. And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
    28. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
    29. Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
    30. Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
    31. Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
    32. Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.