1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Isn't It Amazing the Way We Think

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by saturneptune, Apr 20, 2013.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have been amazed all of my life by the comings and goings of news stories. Before the Boston bombings, North Korea was poised to launch WW3 according to the news media. Why has everyone forgot that? Does anyone think North Korea or the crisis on the Korean pennisula has changed one bit because of the Boston incident? Why do we let the news media control our thinking? Is there one thing different in North Korea or Iran than before the attack on the marathon?

The people in the Northeast are still suffering because of the hurricane last fall. The houses are not reparied or power restored because the news media stopped covering the situtation. Before the Korean crisis, the subject was the deficit, a sequestor, Social Security and Medicare. Did the Korean Crisis solve those problems?

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some friends and I were discussing this very thing this morning.

I bet North Korea and Kim Il Spanky never crossed the minds of most Americans this week, as shallow-minded as they are.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

It's gotten to the point that when something "major" happens, that once I get the gist of it, turn off the TV.

I don't know about anyone else. Personally I'm sick of reporters standing in the wind and rain to give hurricane updates. I'm sick of reporters shoving microphones in the faces of grieving family members. I'm sick of "talking heads" filling the airwaves with empty speculations and opinions while waiting for the event to unfold.

Happened to be watching one of the AM national news programs when the first plane hit the World Trade Center, just as the show was about to end. Host of that show was doing a good job of covering what was happening, as the second plane hit and following. Evening news anchor rushed in, to get his face in front of the camera, shoving the morning show host aside.

That single action, by Dan Rather, summed up so much of what "news" is about today.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Breaking News" from the ABC TV Network was written all over the screen at 429 AM.
    At 430 WSYR breaks in and the newscaster says, "we are breaking in only because you expect us to be here (local news begins at 430), but we are going to take you back to the network?

For the next 15-20 "Breaking News" is still on the screen. WHAT BREAKING NEWS!!! Nothing new at all. At that point I turned over to WSYR.-2 to watch ME TV. I figured if some REAL breaking news was to take place - they would scroll over the bottom of the TV screen - then I would go back to .-1 and get the info.

This is what happen back on Wed 16 Jan 1991 - I was watching Superstition WTBS - all of a sudden, a scroll came over and stated "US troops invading Iraq - tune into CNN for details" - so I did!

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

My wife and I just took a trip to my hometown, Gulfport, MS. As one drives along US Highway 90, one can see mile after mile of vacant lots from Katrina, almost eight years ago. A news organization, when they stopped covering Katrina, does not mean the problem is solved.

Our minds are so wrapped around "the news" we forget about the reality of the event. The news media does not ordain the beginning and ending of human events. It is all driven by publicity and money. When that stops, so does the coverage.

If this was the Second Coming, and we knew about it, CNN and FOX would have cameras set up to report on the return of Christ in the clouds. "Breaking News, Flash, Christ returns after 2017 year exile." "Now, if we can focus the camera a little to the left, you can see Jesus arrive on His white horse." "We now return you to the studio where we have a panel to analyze Christ's return." "With me is the Pope, Reverand Boogly Boogly, and psychic Jean Dixon." As soon as Christ passes out of view of the camera, "Breaking news, North Korean leader picks boogers."

#5 saturneptune, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I hear you...Sandy still has marked devistation for our shore towns...people still homeless...but now its already past history.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This tells my age, but one of the worst examples is (and I do not know why the military allowed it) the invasion of Grenada back in the early or mid 80s. Several patrols in combat gear came ashore in the middle of the night. As the troops set ashore, flood lights came on and a reporter with a microphone stuck it in the face of one of the soldiers asking how he felt about the invasion. If he had stuck a microphone in my face, guess where it would have ended up?