1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Isn't it our Christian duty to support the Second Amendment?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by robertguwapito, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Satan works through men carrying knives.
    Satan works through men carrying clubs.
    Satan works through men carrying rocks.
    Satan works through men carrying hammers.
    Satan works through men carrying screwdrivers.

Seems to me it's the intent for which we use our tools, not the tools themselves. I'm good with a simple shotgun, maybe a Taurus Judge pistol. I use them to bring food on to the table, protect myself from snakes; and will use them to protect livestock from coyotes, and my vegetables from rabbits and such. Boars are getting pretty proliferant in the area I'll eventually be moving to. And yes, if someone threatens my family, or even me, I'll most likely use them then, too.

20-something years ago, I joined the military to lay down my life, if necessary, for others.

If all that makes me less of a Christian in some folks' eyes, well, you're still welcome to come over and have coffee or tea any time. And if the situation arises that you're threatened while under the umbrella of my hospitality, I'll do what it takes--including laying down my own life--to protect you as best I can.

2. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

#22 HAMel, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2012
  3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't been on this forum for very long but it now appears the place is eat up with liberals...!!! Card carrying bleeding heart liberals..., with some hiding behind the Bible.

:tear:

4. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Tell it to Jesus, it is His words that we do not fight against flesh.

5. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell it to Jesus, it is His words that we do not fight against flesh.

...you tell Him.

I can't see anywhere, where the Lord expects any of his followers to roll over and play dead. To be at the mercy of some crazed meth head who's kicked your door down. For any of us to stand by while a bunch of thugs destroy a home and the family therein.

It's time to overcome your fear and be a man. Yes, I know, that makes you mad, doesn't it? Well, what can I say. I have no desire to be dead with my wife left to fend for herself because of a pacifist attitude on my part.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

What?? Believing in gun control makes you a liberal???? Oh my, ya'll conservatives scoot over and make room, I must not be as much of a liberal as I thought! :eek:

(maybe I should just get off the bench entirely?)

In answer to the OP, no, it isn't Christian duty directly that causes me to support the 2nd Amendment. It's my patriotic duty that causes me to support the second amendment.

When the only people who are armed are the gov and the criminals, where will the liberties that we live by and stand on be? G.O.N.E. We won't have any. We'll have big brother on one side of us telling us where we can go, what we can eat and who we should be having s*x with and on the other side we'll have the criminals taking what little material goods we have left. And we won't have many, because the ideas of freedom is spread through the consumption of goods including the media. When all of that is controlled, you have a communist dictatorship similar to those in third world nations. Do you want to live in Mexico? How about China? How about Syria?

Of course we don't, their own citizens don't want to live there!

Oops, sorta got up on my soapbox there. :D

7. robertguwapito

robertguwapito New Member

Hi David,

1. My question was addressed to the majority of members of this board: Americans. :saint:
    2. You gotta be kidding me!

Moses (Charlton Heston :smilewinkgrin:) said, "We cannot -- we must not -- let tragedy lay waste to the most rare and hard-won human right in history. A nation cannot gain safety by giving up freedom. This truth is older than our country. Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin said that. Now, if you like your freedoms of speech, and of religion, freedom from search and seizure, freedom of the press, and of privacy and to assemble, and to redress grievances, then you better give them the eternal bodyguard called the Second Amendment. The individual right to bear arms is freedom's insurance policy. Not just for your children, but for infinite generations to come. That is its singular sacred beauty, and why we preserve it so fiercely. No, it's not a right without rational restrictions. And it's not for everyone. Only the law-abiding majority of society deserves the Second Amendment.

:thumbsup:

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gun control is being able to hit your target.

There are currently over 22 thousand "Gun Control Laws" on the books and the carnage continues. Tell those of us who have looked down the barrel of a weapon all about more Gun Control laws.

9. plain_n_simple

Fear says you need a gun, faith in Jesus says you do not.

10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

HAMel posted a sign with the words:
    "My Next Door Neighbor wants to BAN all GUNS! Their house is NOT ARMED! Out of RESPECT for their opinions I promise NOT to use MY GUNS to PROTECT THEM!"
    Here, such a sign would not mean much. Gun ownership is so low that there are whole streets (like mine), and possibly whole villages and towns, where no one owns a gun. And that, of course, means that fewer criminals have guns.

Back in 2007, on the thread Guns You Own several people were arguing for a "Shoot 'em between the eyes" policy against housebreakers, with some posters suggesting that as a result of our much tighter gun laws here, UK citizens could not defend their homes, and were in much greater danger than Americans from robbers. (Someone even wrote: "Well in the US we have a right to defend ourselves. Sorry to hear that you all do not.") I wrote in post 90:
    It might help folk not in the UK to understand the position regarding defence of one's home, if I say that by far the majority of household burglaries here are committed by unarmed criminals. The latest figures I could find (for 2005/06) say that of a total of 300,555 burglaries, only 2,162 were committed by people carrying any sort of weapon, or to use the legal jargon, "aggravated burglary". That is a mere 0.72 per cent. So if every burgled householder that year had actged as judge, jury and executioner by "shooting the burglar between the eyes", 298,393 unarmed people would have been shot dead.

#30 David Lamb, Mar 1, 2012
  11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Cain?????? A bigger question comes to mind other than "Where did Cain get his wife??"

Where did Cain get his weapon to slay Abel?? Smith & Wesson?? Winchester?? Glock?? Colt???:wavey::wavey:

12. robertguwapito

robertguwapito New Member

I betcha you haven't fired a single shot in your life, not even a Daisy BB gun. :laugh:

13. plain_n_simple

I grew up with guns and hunting. Had a few nice ones. Started at 10yrs with a Crossman 760.

14. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

I could not live in England....I went into the backyard where I lived yesterday and shot pistols with my neighbors. Mostly 1911s and 357 mags....then again, I am in Texas and I deer hunt with my friends.

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

So----every person who owns a gun is living in fear????

There's an episode in the 4 gospels where a few of Jesus' disciples had a "show of arms" displayed their swords in open air right in front of the nose of the Son of God---------and He nowhere mentioned to them (1) their fear or lack of faith and (2) never beckoned them to disarm!!!You find me where He tells them to throw those swords away---"You don't need them things anymore, Boys-----just tell whoever your adversaries are that you all are with Me!!!!"

You don't want a firearm????? Then don't have one

But you can't tell me I live in fear if I DO have one(firearm)

I live in rural Alabama----can get out on my front porch and shoot skeet----discharge high powered rifles---whatever---and the neighbors?????-----one guy behind my house(I can't see him and he can't see me)----every now and then he'll get out in his yard and shoot------dude must have some military style assault rifle or somethin'----some sort of "Banana" clip----some sort of "Uzzie" or somethin'-----but I never hear any strays "singing" over my head-----so I reckon he knows I'm behind him!!!

#35 blackbird, Mar 1, 2012
  16. plain_n_simple

It is fear, why else would you have one? To protect yourself because of a lack of trust in Jesus and the Spirit.

17. mandym

mandym New Member

Of course! Yes! And having a job is fear that God will not provide financially. Hey everyone you must give up your jobs and stop living in fear!

Having locks on your doors is because you do not trust in Jesus!

18. plain_n_simple

So the Holy Spirit tells you to kill, and Satan comes to kill, interesting.

19. mandym

mandym New Member

Does anyone else understand what this guy is saying?

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

How is shooting at a paper target or some sort of clay pigeon-----killing???