1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Isn't it our Christian duty to support the Second Amendment?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by robertguwapito, Feb 29, 2012.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.”
    General George Patton.

To see my other side, my vicious side, kick my door down in the middle of the night while my two year old Great Grand Daughter is asleep. Or my wife. Or any other member of my family. I will have no mercy on the crack head unless he begins to retreat.

There ain't gonna be no dropping to one knee praying for the guy. That would be like your house catching on fire and you kneel down to pray God would extinguish said fire.

2. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Guns do NOT kill people, people using it wrongly do!

Think that IF was given commission today, Jesus would say to us to take a sword for defense, and that would be a Gun!

3. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

How is shooting at a paper target or some sort of clay pigeon-----killing???

It is not. The original post was is it the duty of a believer to support the right to bear arms? It is really a world view trying to justify killing as a follower of Jesus. If Jesus abides in you, and you abide in Him, you will not kill another for any reason.

4. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Does God allow cops and soldiers to have Guns? Did he have army of isreal disarmed?

5. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

God said not to murder, He Himself permitted and allowed it, so was He wrong, violate own Law?

God has fought wars, permitted his people to fight back...

was He wrong?

remember, per the Bible,sin to murder, NOT one to kill for a "just cause!"

6. plain_n_simple

You confuse the Old with the New. Here is just one.

Hebrews 1:1-2
    God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

7. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

the Holy Spirit would say 'defend yourself, Kill ONLY as a last resort!"

Think Jesus referencing Satan coming to steal/kill/destroy NOT meaning satan was setto open up Gun Armorary in jerusalem!

8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

So the Commandment from God to NOT Murder, allowed to lill was suspended/nullified ?

9. plain_n_simple

The righteous are not under the Law, but are led by the Spirit and will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. That is a whole other subject, the verse posted means to listen to Jesus, if He abides in you.

10. Ed B

Ed B Member

If the original post still matters I will add that in the US we have a "civil religion" which has the Constitution and Bill of Rights as our sacred texts. Sometimes we are guilty of blending our civil religion with our Christian beliefs. They are not one in the same. I support the 2nd amendment for several reasons but not because it is my Christian duty.

When we intertwine our civil religion with our Christian faith we inadvertently introduce error and are in danger of creating or introducing new, extra-biblical laws or disciplines as a test of righteousness and sometimes as a test of fellowship. I joke with some friends that if they vote for a Democrat and their church learn of it they are likely to be denied Communion. I am only partly kidding. We have become strange bedfellows with one of the two political parties; a party that uses us but doesn’t love us and is not in lock-step with us. At times some of us strain and squint really hard to try and make that political party look like it is more “Christian” than it really is. I my opinion it is the better of two bad alternatives but let’s not pretend that one party is good or righteous. And let’s not make the mistake of equating civil liberties, economic policy and political positions that are not clearly mandated in the Bible a test of proper Christian discipleship.

For the record, there are more guns in my town than there are people and by a wide margin. Violent crime is very rare. Accidents with weapons, fatal or injurious, are also very rare. I probably have a dozen firearms in my house and another 5 very expensive British made and German made air-rifles for backyard target practice and pest eradication. The brits and germans make MUCH better air rifles than we do in the US. I am not a liberal or in favor of any further gun control. But I do not confuse my stance in regard to this civil liberty as having any value to my relationship with God.

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And this, ladies and gentleman, is why I still post here...

On other forums I'm called a fundamentalist, yet over I'm a liberal. Ah yes, sanity...

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here's what I don't get about your position, you use such ridiculously extreme examples that make no sense in the real world.

How many times in the United States does this scenario take place in a given year?

Secondly, what kind of activities are you involved in that warrant a thug kicking down your door to visciously murder your family?

It just doesn't validate your argument.

13. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

The idea that someone must be involved in illegal (implied in the question) activities in order to be at risk of being victimized is naiive.

14. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

But doesn't the HS empower us to be able to actually keep the Moral law of God though?

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nice, feel-good thought to have; but I bet if you were faced with a him-or-me/my family type threat, you wouldn't be on your knees in prayer waiting for the inevitable. You'd put up a defense to the utmost.

16. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

God allowed the jews to defend themselves, and His Apostles...

Wouldn't the sinning party forcing us to defend ourselves be bringing it upon themselves, isn't that how God sees it?

Since God IS the same forever...

IF He allowed jjustified killing nefore. what caused Him to not allow it Now?

17. Ed B

Ed B Member

Did Stephen throw rocks back?

18. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all of you. Should your home catch on fire are you going to drop to one knee praying God to extinguish it? Or are you going to protect the rest of your family putting distance between yourself and the threat?

Some clown comes through your door in the middle of the night ravaged from the influence of drugs. Are you going to drop to one knee asking God to save you? Hide in the closet? Behind your wife? Your kids? Behind your Bible?

I won't hesitate one iota to put a bullet hole between his eyes and then call the cops. I have an obligation to protect my family. The bad guy has an obligation to stay out of my home.

Conservative. You betcha'. I'm so conservative I squeak. Used to be an Independent, Fundamentalist Baptist..., but no matter what, I could never overcome the guilt or otherwise be good enough. Same with the Free Will Baptist. Too much burden, guilt and fear with those folks. Was Southern Baptist for five years but there, one had to buy their own combat gear just to get through a business meeting.

Sorry folks, but I am perfectly happy and content where I am in life right now. You all carry on. Once all the smoke clears we will then all understand all things. Some of you might be asked where you put your backbone.

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Home invasions haven't been identified as a specific federal offense; some states have given them a separate category. The feds consider them burglary and/or property theft, and separately list any additional violent acts under their own categories.

With that in mind, here are the 2010 statistics reported by the US Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Statistics:
    2,923,430 burglaries.
    3,148,250 assaults
    188,380 rapes.
    480,750 robberies classified as serious violent crime.
    And that's with the numbers at their lowest since 1993.

Compared to a population estimated at 255,961,940; and number of households estimated at 122,885,160 ... well, the numbers seem small. The likelihood of it happening to you is not that bad.

Until it actually does happen to you.

That's a poor question. While you're at it, why don't you ask him if he's stopped beating his wife?

20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is very interesting that plain_n_simple did not respond to my post regarding Jesus telling his disciples to buy a weapon and carry it with them on their journey.

I still wonder if plain_n_simple thinks Jesus was lying or did He lack faith for God to protect the disciples?

Why, oh why won't he answer? I am beginning to think he is a troll or a sock-puppet.