1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Isn't it true that God has used the NIV Just as much as the KJV, Past 35 yrs?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Yeshua1, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody is denying that the KJV is the Word of God --just not in the sense of it being the only English version that is God's Word.

Your "at least" remark is fascinating. Would you be willing to say that the NIV is the Word of God? Could you at least agree with that? If you are reluctant to concede that then you are not in the least being reasonable or peace-loving.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Not sure what you mean, brother. But if you're asking what I think you're asking- no, I do not think God is tied down to using or blessing any particular version. I think our friend Dr. Bob would say that He still uses the Hebrew and Greek because Dr. Bob translates his messages from those mss every week.

3. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

The position I hold to...

Rippon, as a KJV Only adherent, the best I can say, in all honesty, after doing comparative analysis (over the years) between the KJV and the MV's (that I HAVE looked at) is that the MV's, in my opinion, do contain (at least) some of the words of God, some translated adequately...some not so much. I believe, based on the evidence that I have examined over the years, that the MV's are, at best, incomplete. Comparing the CT/MV's with the TR/KJV is comparing apples and oranges...in my opinion. I know you won't like my answer but that is what I believe and I am trying to be honest and forthright with you and everyone else here. Sure...I wish everybody agreed with me...but I know that's not likely or possible. I've had to bear being told that I was under the influence of "satanic" teaching right here on the Baptist Board. Sighhh!:tear:

Bro.Greg:saint:

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Off topic personal comments deleted per previous warning.

#44 evangelist6589, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJVO are often very divisive and argumentative. Many like to attack the NIV, but completely ignore other translations. They pick on the best of the english translations.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly! This is a great reason why the Gospel of John's that I pass out are mostly the NIV. Most on the street cant understand the language of the KJV.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again,you are not being consistent. You ask for agreement that the KJV is the Word of God yet you are not willing to admit that the NIV is the Word of God. You apparently do not want to stay peaceful with one another. And this is based on your criteria.However,it is not a one-way street here.

Does that sentiment rest on sound principles?

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The NIV and KJV are the Word of God. However, maybe instead of being critical and obnoxious like you are every subject you address, you should try to understand why he feels the way he does.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would we assume that the TR , basis for the kjv translation, was superiour and better than either the MT or the CT texts?

the Lord preserved the word of God to us in the original language texts, regardless which are used to translate off from, means that the english version is the word of God to us in that language!

ONLY the originals were perfect, so on what basis would we decide which was the better version of the Greek texts to base translations upon ?

Bottom line on this discussion is that any Englsih version such as the Nasb/Niv/Nlt/esv etc is just as much the word of God in english as the Kjv is...

please keep on using the kjv, I still use it at times, just don't make no other version God speaking to us today!

And since the lord has indeed been using the Niv/Nasb/esv etc versions, along with the kjv, to bring sinners to Christ, to teach and mature them, why doesn't God seem to have a problem with the MV?

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some Minor Editing

Yes,I would like an answer to the above by KJVO folks.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not to mention that the Latin Vulgate was the Bible of the people for 1100 years. That FAR surpasses the longevity of the KJV but that fact is ignored.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very reasonable and sane judgement call --and threfore totally unaccptable to many of the KJVO persuasion.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the 2011 NIV is doing that well in the UK. And the NLT is #2! Are there any websites that record rankings of Bible translations sold in the UK?

That's a significant question. If the KJV is not selling well at all in an English-speaking country at that -- is God using an inferior product at present there with the NIVs and NLTs doing so well? I ask that framed with a possible KJVO perspective.

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They would probably reply that it shows how watered down and weak Christianity is now over there, as they "despised" Gods real Bible!

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But from a KJVO perspective the KJV should dominate (or at least come in at #2) because since 1611 it has been God's only real Word in English. They wouldn't want to posit the view that the Lord lost control of His only real translation for English-speaking people.