1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Isolated but taught

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Frogman, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above phrase jumped out at me. I just finished reading the book, “The Shape of Sola Scriptura” (Keith A. Mathison, 2001). Pardon me for this mini-book report.

What is being discussed here is whether we can rely on Scripture alone or whether tradition plays a part in what we believe. Mathison’s book discusses the various philosophies that have developed in regards to the Scriptures and tradition.

Modern Evangelicals have developed a SOLO Scriptura (Scripture only) philosophy, rather than Sola Scriptura (Scripture alone). The author argues that these differ significantly.

Mathson points to four prevailing traditions.

TRADITION 1 – Historical Sola Scriptura: Scripture is the single source of revelation, and is to be interpreted by the Church.

TRADITION 2 - (Traditionally held by the Catholic Church), maintains that various extra-scriptural sources of revelation are equally authoritative as Scripture. This would include the apostolic traditions passed down to the church, particularly through papal succession. Tradition is viewed as a secondary doctrinal source and adds its own substance to the revelation of Scripture.

TRADITION 3 – The teachings of the Church are the one and only source of revelation. This is a currently developing doctrine within the Roman Catholic Church. Doctrines such as the Immaculate Conception of Mary, Papal Infallibility and the Bodily Assumption of the Virgin are declared to be “tradition”.

TRADITION 0 – Scripture is not merely the only infallible authority but the only authority (Solo Scriptura). Combining American Anabaptist individualism with Enlightenment rationalism and democratic populism, TRADITION ‘0’ has become the standard evangelical position on Scriptural authority. The Unitarian Church and heretical movements such as the Gay Church would be adherents of this tradition and the spawn of this rejection of the apostolic tradition.

Both doctrines of Solo Scriptura and Sola Scriptura agree with the perfection and sufficiency of Scripture. Both would agree with the inspiration, infallibility and authority of Scripture, but the Reformational doctrine of Sola Scriptura insists that Scripture is to be interpreted within the hermeneutical boundaries of the apostolic rule of faith (regula fidei) and by the communion of the saints (past and present).

The rejection of “all tradition” puts us in the dangerous position of not having a knowable hermeneutical foundation to base our scriptural doctrines upon. It is indefinitely easier to distort the Word of God when we cut ourselves off from the consensus of other Christians.

Remember Paul’s admonition to Timothy: “But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation,…” (2 Timothy 1:20 NAS)

Rob

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My memory is so poor! [​IMG]

“But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation…”

The correct verse is 2 Peter 1:20, Peter speaking of course! :rolleyes:

Rob

3. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Jesus said the Holy Spirit would guide us into all truth, not feeble tradition.

They have set at nothing the Word of God, making it of none effect, by their traditions.

Tradition interpretations: who needs them?

Give me a Bible and 40 years in a desert hermitage by myself...rather than a stack of commentaries and 4 years in a theological seminary.

Preachers who quote other preachers, teachers, book authors, seminarians, etc. leave men cold.

I don't want to hear "John MacArthur said..." and "Charles Spurgeon said...." and "John Calvin said..." and "St. Augustine said...."

I want to hear "God'S Word says..."

Thank you.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: