1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It’s the Republicans, Stupid.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"Actually, I think that real investments in infrastructure and other useful things will be the real victim. The demise of our nation and system may very well be the "gray" lobby of the next 20 years who will expect more from the gov't and have the votes to get it."--------------------------------------------------------------

Oh you should see all the gray hairs lined up to get their medicare drug benefit at the health care organization I work at. They control 2/3 of all disposable income, and now I have to pay for their medicine. And I am sad to report they have got such an entitlement attitude. It is much worse than I have ever experienced from the typical welfare recipient.

2. larry9179

larry9179 New Member

I think that partianship in today's Democratic party is definitely a character issue. The worst you'll get from a Republican is someone who's interested in the bottom line. They're not above corporations getting a break - and neither am I since corporations provide jobs which provides paychecks which generates tax dollars.

Democrats on the other hand would legislate business so much that no one could afford to do business in America. We'd become another third world nation at best and a dictatorship at worse if they had their way.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it has alot to do with their experience. Many if not most grew up in an era where government action was deemed necessary and appropriate to rescue people from overwhelming problems. Credit was given to FDR's New Deal for bringing the US out of the Depression... when the more important factor was the jobs created by WWII and post-war reconstruction.

As always, liberal politicians associated success with giving them more power... so we had about 30 years of general support for "big gov't" solutions... at the expense of the Constitution and legitimate individual rights.

Unfortunately, the genie isn't so easy to put back in the bottle now that he's become drunk with his own power.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know what you're saying... but the minute we excuse corruption and low character because we agree with what a party says it stands for we empower that party to take us for granted and not fulfill its promises. The Christian Right is in danger now of following the same path of destruction and worldliness that many black churches did when they became focused on civil rights or "mainline" denominations did when the became interested in the social gospel as opposed to the Bible.

5. larry9179

larry9179 New Member

That's why I voted for Alan Keyes in the primaries when G.W. Bush ran the first time. Keyes doesn't care what people think, he cares what God thinks. Unfortunately, we're often forced to do what Arlo Guthrie sang about - "choose the worser of two evils." Doing nothing will only help the worst candidate, so we must vote. If the American people want a leader who has no morals and who won't protect the principles upon which our nation was founded, then God will allow us to get what we want - like He did with Clinton. On the other hand, I'm convinced that if every Christian became more active in letting our politicians know what we want, then God will give us that too. America's problem is that half of those who call themselves Christians stay at home and don't vote. To me, that's a sin of ommission.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Yes... rightly or wrongly, he was undoing 40 years of Dems doing the exact same thing though perhaps not so obvious.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I don't believe the Democrats had anything so blatent and pervasive as the Republican's K Street Project(linkie)

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh you mean like... writing laws that force contracts to unionized companies... knowing those unions will repay the Dems in spades? Or like creating laws whereby the Sierra Club can have its fees paid from the coiffures of the gov't it sues- win or lose? Or various other vote buying scams they've legitimized? How about the fact that Planned Parenthood takes gov't handouts in one hand and donate heavily to Dems with the other?

BTW, so what? Republicans treat businesses more favorably than Dems in general. Are you saying there is some kind of affirmative action going on at NARAL where half of their positions must be filled with socially conservative Republicans? Are environmental rights lobbists carefully balancing their leadership between whackos and people who know you can't kill the golden goose?

When did the NEA balance its lobbying arm with conservatives who think teachers should be held responsible for performance just like any other professional?

Nice try at a double standard... but no thanks.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bottom line is... if we reduce the size and scope of the federal gov't through decentralization of power... influence peddling won't be nearly the lucrative venture it now is. And we definitely have the Dems to thank for the size, scope, and intrusiveness of the federal government.

It is almost funny watching liberal Dems whine about the Republicans beating them at a game that the Dems have created over the past 40-60 years.

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I almost forgot Daisy. How about the abuse of the official office by say... sicking the IRS on people who oppose you Jones et al while stifling investigations of your friends like Cisneros? That was pretty blatant and pervasive.