1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It is as it was....or was it?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Spirit and Truth, Mar 10, 2004.

1. vaspers

vaspers New Member

S&T: brother, please don't get snide or sarcastic. I'm on your side in this debate, and I cheer you on, but be nice please.

People have a hard enough time dealing with my bizarre posts that force them to think deep, hard, and long. Keep your pool clear, not muddy.

Oh, and can I get another cup of that delish mocha reality Kaffeee?

2. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

Vaspers my island brother. Not being sacrcastic, snide, and I am not even angry. I am just being truthful. Phillip has had every opportunity to come here with substantiated facts and present them. He has none, so he just wants to come here and try to ruin the tranquility of our beautiful island pasadise. [​IMG] Sip all the coffee you want, and you can even pour a cup for Phillip. Maybe when he gets some facts to support his assertions he will be back. [​IMG]

Can't ya just feel the love?

3. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Philip is almost...not quite but almost...as stubborn and hard headed as...as...as...vaspers!!

Me and Phillip are debating whether or not Harry Potters is satanic indoctrination into the abomination of actual witchcraft.

And the worth of psychiatrist with possible demon possession or influence.

He's stubborn alright. But us stubborn people make up for the rank and file wishy washy pew potato lurkers who don't have the guts to take a stand on anything.

I respect him and johnv and others who oppose me, but at least patiently explain their point of view and use scriptures, and don't call me silly names.

Good debate sharpens both parties to it.

We practice here, so we can witness to unsaved souls with more vigor and zeal and logic and spiritual power and biblical accuracy. Koombayah.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

4. Spirit and Truth

God tells us that He is True, and every man a liar, so if there is error in this movie, we all know where the blame should be put. I sat through this movie not once, not twice, but four times. Why would I put myself through the darkness of this "greatest deception ever $old" you may ask? It was so that I could speak knowledgably on the subject, and also because it took me four viewings to document all of Biblical, historical, and linguistic errors in the movie. I did this so that others would not have to. I have dealt with the occult for many years, so this was nothing new or shocking to me. I wonder how many satanists have gone to view the graphically enhanced fantasy pummeling of our Lord with great glee?

In the movie, Mel mixed the words of men, with the Words of God, and then used them out of context. He had "Jesus" say to Mary "Behold *mother* [words of men] I make all things new."

Part of the quote is from Revelation 21:

5 And he that sat upon the throne said, *Behold, I make all things new.* And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

The problem being that these Words were revealed to John, not Mary, so Mr Gibson added the word "mother" to the Word of God, and then took it out of context, and used it to address Mary. What does God's Word say about this:

Proverbs 30
    5 Every word of God [is] pure: he [is] a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
    6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

So, if someone came to you , and said that they had a good source of spiritual information for you, but God said that the source has been found to be a liar, should we flock to it?

Joshua had spiritual discernment:

Joshua 6
    18 And ye, in any wise keep [yourselves] from the accursed thing, lest ye make [yourselves] accursed, when ye take of the accursed thing, and make the camp of Israel a curse, and trouble it.

And Paul, had incredible spiritual discernment:

Galatians 1
    8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any [man] preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

If someone changes the Word of God, they are in effect, preaching another Gospel, are they not? This movie is nothing but a Marian "shrine", which according to the Commandments, is forbidden worship, therefore an abomination to God. Mr Gibson said at one point that the Holy Spirit was directing this film. Can anyone here envision a Righteous, Holy God sitiing there counting the days anxiously until this film, which was based on mystical writings that were received by divination which He also says He hates, was completed so that He could use it as a witnessing tool as many have claimed? God is bound by His Word, therefore He can not say that He hates something, and then turn around and endorse it.

People need to get rid of their "Good News", and their "Message" bibles, and check out what the real Word of God has to say, and then maybe they, and the supposed "leadership" will stop leading people down the jungle path for some cookies and special "kool aid". The enemy has built the so called "ecumenical" movement. This movement is like a race car with no brakes, and it is designed to operate on the "wide" super highway, on which there is no breakdown lane so you can reduce your speed once you realize the error. There is only a brick wall at the end, or you can go over the cliff down into the "pit". I would suggest taking a different route. It is known as the narrow path.

5. Spirit and Truth

From the KJV Bible:

Revelation 22

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
    19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.
    20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

From a literal translation of the received Greek text:

Revelation 22

18 I testify together for everyone hearing the Words of the prophecy of Scroll this, if anyone add to these things, will add God upon him the plagues having been written in Scroll this;
    19 And if anyone take away from the Words of [the] Scroll of prophecy this, will take away God the part of him from [the] Scroll of Life, and out of the city Holy, and of the things having been written in Scroll this.

S&T:

The embellished phrase "behold *mother*", would constitute adding to the Word, would it not? And how would one define taking part of the passage that was spoken to John in Revelation out of context, and then making it appear that it was spoken by Jesus to Mary in a film that was touted as being scripturally accurate and true to the Gospels? Would this be subtracting? The next question would be, now that someone has been informed of this, what is their part in this if they recommend the movie to others?

6. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

Hello, this is my first post on BB forum. I was not sure where to start, so thought this looked like an interesting discussion. I have been noticing that a lot of people allow for what is called 'artistic license' with this movie.

I am wondering if there is a Scripture that any have put forward for that concept as I am sure that there must be one, or pastors and others wouldn't be claiming the movie is Scripturally sound. Do you know what it would be, so I can confirm it?

Thanks for your help.

7. vaspers

vaspers New Member

There is no verse like this.

God's people are instructed throughout the Bible to faithfully and accurately tell the story of God's relations with mankind (and ladies!) and especially the blessed story of salvation.

To add or subtract, Revelation sternly warns against this, pronounces a curse on those who do.

To distort, make Mary look like a source of strength for Jesus and His Co-Redeemer, and many other non-biblical fantasies, is to warp and change the truth.

Don't follow me, or evangelical leaders, or pastors, or anything but Jesus Christ Himself as revealed in the Word. If they follow Jesus, follow their example. If they contradict the Word, rebuke them and if necessary, mark and avoid them.

[​IMG] :cool: [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

Thank you Vaspers. If there are no verses that allows for artistic license, then what verses are being used to validate the mixing of Scripture, the things we know about Christ and the crucifixion, and the added things which put words and actions in, that are known to be not only imagination but from sources which are called 'mystic nuns."? It wouldn't matter except people call the movie Scripturally sound and some leadership say it is exactly as in the NT.

Also I am wondering about the use of Imagery throughout the movie. Mr. Gibson said he wanted the imagery and pictures to do the talking basically. There is an image that really bothers me. Its the one where Jesus is in the garden, and laying on the ground before the 'she satan'--also an oddity when Jesus always referred to satan as the father of lies---but in that scene the imagery is that Jesus is bowing before satan and the imagery makes me think that he is worshipping at satans feet. It so disturbed me, that concept, that I had to look at some Scriptures about it.

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and showeth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
    9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
    10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Do you think that is an image that should have been left in the movie? Is there some Scripture that would have us believe Jesus did that? And even the concept that Jesus was afraid. Isn't fear a sin? And if Jesus sinned, He was no longer the perfect sacrifice, and that means that the work of the cross is no longer valid.

Hope you don't mind all these thoughts and questions.

9. Spirit and Truth

I have some Jewish history questions about the events portrayed in the movie:

Would a Jewish woman in first century Palestine uncover her head in public [Veronica] wipe the bloody face of someone, and then hold that bloody cloth to her lips and kiss it.

Would a Jewish mother kiss the bloody feet of her son and then stand in public with blood all over her face and lips?

Were men and women allowed to be in the temple together, or was there a partition between them?

Would a Jewish high priest spit on the floor of the temple?

Did the apostles and Jesus set at a table for the last supper? Was that the tradition in first century Judea?

10. Spirit and Truth

11. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

Did the apostles and Jesus set at a table for the last supper? Was that the tradition in first century Judea?

Mark 14
    16 And His disciples went out and came into the city and found it as He had said to them. And they made the passover ready.
    17 And in the evening He came with the Twelve.
    18 And as they *reclined* and ate, Jesus said, Truly I say to you, One of you will betray Me, the one eating with Me.

12. Spirit and Truth

MalkyEl quoted:

18 And as they *reclined* and ate, Jesus said, Truly I say to you, One of you will betray Me, the one eating with Me.

S&T:

So Malky, how does one recline at a table? Say it isn't so that Mels historically and scripturally accurate true to the Gospels movie missed another detail. Is anyone keeping count? [ couldn't be Baptist leadership]

13. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

Just in case Mel reads this, I thought I would define "recline" :eek:

Strongs #345 as used in Mark 14:18
    1) to lie at a table, eat together, dine

I just couldn't help myself and had to get the 2nd witness :D [​IMG]

Luke 22
    13 And they went and found it as He had said to them. And they prepared the passover.
    14 And when the hour came, He and the twelve apostles with Him reclined.

Strong's #377 [reclined]
    1) to lie back, lie down

2) to recline at a table, to sit back

14. Spirit and Truth

Oh.....ok....so then...."Jesus" didn't invent the upright table as shown in the movie, and it was the custom in first century Palestine to have a low table near the floor where people could sit on cushions or stretch out like they still do in parts of the middle east today. Thanks for the clarification [​IMG] They must have consulted the guy's paintings that showed them all sitting at an upright table during the last supper. Wasn't that the same guy who painted a picture of "Jesus" being "sprinkled" by John the Baptist?

15. Spirit and Truth

We have discussed briefly the "one eyed" Jesus in the movie. Has anybody seen this:
    http://www.midwestaugustinians.org/saintsc_annemmerich.html

Notice the "one eye" and the pyramid over her casting it's rays of "enlightenment". And to think that people on the board accused me of trying to create a conspiracy. [ the Catholic church termed her a "mystic"] I was looking "real" close, and I though I saw her reading a Harry Potter book. :eek:

16. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

Hi There Spirit and Truth. Being new I don't know who believes what. But it does seem like you have a sense of humor. I enjoy that in a person. [​IMG]

You said:"Notice the "one eye" and the pyramid over her casting it's rays of "enlightenment"."

That appears to be a fairly occultic picture, and right from that Catholic 'order' or whatever that Emmerich was part of. :eek:

You asked "Would a Jewish high priest spit on the floor of the temple?"

I don't think so.

17. sharpSword

sharpSword Guest

If the portrayal of the scourging was accurate, and Jesus was brutally whipped on his front as well as his back, major arteries would have been cut and he would have bled out. In the movie he was being cut to the bone. Arteries are above that. He also would have been castrated if whipped on his front as shown in the movie. Think about it.

If the Mary's sopped up as much blood in the courtyard --where they were not even in attendance according to the Word of God---in the movie, Jesus would have been dead before getting to the cross. :eek:

18. Spirit and Truth

19. Spirit and Truth

SS said:

Hi There Spirit and Truth. Being new I don't know who believes what. But it does seem like you have a sense of humor. I enjoy that in a person.

S&T:

I have to maintain my humor level, otherwise I will focus on all of the luke warm religiosity that floats around here sometimes and I will become saddened. I just attempt to speak the Truth the best that I know it, and then offer proof of my statements. Some will hear, and others refuse to. I am glad that in the end, I am not the one who judges someones fate.

20. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

I also enjoy a good laugh, it does help to lighten up the load - I have noticed SS's humor as well :D

I was thinking of the movie and how some of the viewers had seen humor - not sure where that was exactly - the movie was so intense, dark, and mystical.

However, I had to smile during the "14 stations" arduous and brutal trek to the crucifixtion. Not because Jesus did not suffer at that point, but because of Mel's depiction of Jesus falling over and over and being beaten continuously.

As a matter of fact, I rolled by eyes at the incongruency of it. It was not Scriptural, as Jesus never carried His cross, and I doubt He would have lived with that amount of tortuous beating non-stop [I noticed the beating started in the garden and never ended til He was on the cross] :eek: