1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It is Finished

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 19:30 states he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Here are my questions:

1. What paid the penalty of sin - his blood or his death.

2. Is there a difference between dying and giving up the ghost anotherwods did Jesus actually "die?"

3. What was the reason that John and the other disciples used the term "gave up the Ghost" instead of "died".

Matt 27:50 yielded up the ghost
    Mark 15:37 and gave up the ghost
    Luke 23:22 Father into thy hand I commend my spirit, and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

1. What paid the penalty of sin - his blood or his death.

Both. Jesus had to both shed his blood(Heb 9:22) and die (I Cor 15:3).

2. Is there a difference between dying and giving up the ghost anotherwods did Jesus actually "die?"

Just an expression meaning he took his last breath which means he died.

3. What was the reason that John and the other disciples used the term "gave up the Ghost" instead of "died".
    God inspired them to. :) Really, I don't see much difference. Nothing significant other than He died.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you do not believe in the supernatural spiritual realm, then when you physically stop living, you "die." However, if a believer, then "when the spirit departs, the body dies" is how we see it. So Jesus physically died on the cross, but His eternal Spirit relocated (departed) but did not die.

Then in three days His Spirit returned to His body and His body became alive again. He is Risen. He is Risen indeed.

Happy Easter Everyone.

4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I've heard it said that the terminology "yielded" or "gave" in those instances meant that the deity in Jesus allowed the humanity to die. In other words, He suffered more than a human could endure, kept alive by divine power, until "It is finished", at which time, His deity allowed death to take His soul. He "Yielded (to death) up the ghost (His soul)".

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greek rendered as "gave up the ghost" means to take one's last breath. It probably entered the English Bible through Tyndale; Wycliffe in Mark 15:37 simply said he "died" and Luther said he "passed away/on."

#5 rsr, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
  6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gave up the spirit, the breath of life, The spirit returned to God, the Father who had given it, through the conception of the ovum, (seed) of the virgin, Mary unto birth.

Thou shall call his name Jesus; Was dead. Soul in Hades, body still hanging on the cross, corruptible, yet would not see corruption. Dead.

The sinless Christ, died for our sins.

The spirit, breath of life from God circulates in the blood, to the flesh, making living soul.
    For the life (soul) of the flesh is in the blood: Lev 17:11 and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

7. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

1. His complete finished work that is, trial, suffering, beating, His sayings on the cross, His death and the blood must be shed in payment of sin. What covered the sin with the sacrifice? The lambs death provided the blood to cover the sin, the had to die to provide the blood. Jesus had to die to provide the blood for the payment of sin.

2. Death means separation for example the second death is separation of the unbeliever from eternity with God for all eternity. Jesus Soul and Spirit separated from His physical body which is death.

3. Gave up the ghost means to give up the Spirit or soul, He did. I would imagine that was a term they used in that day!

8. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause: Amen. One of the best explanations I've heard.

9. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Blood" is simply euphemistic for death itself, thus what is asked here is basically "What paid the penalty, His death or His death?"

"Ghost" refers to a/the spirit of men, and when the spirit of a man is separated from his body he is dead.

The Lord refers to this here:

Luke 24:36-39

King James Version (KJV)

36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

To "give up the ghost" refers to the leaving of the spirit, specifically being separated from the body:

Luke 23:46

King James Version (KJV)

46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

Basically He "expired."

Isaiah wrote...

Isaiah 2:22

King James Version (KJV)

22 Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of ?

The relationship in Scripture between man's "breath" and his spirit can be seen from the Garden, when God first breathed life into Adam.

This is just my view but I see it as descriptive of the Lord's authority over His life, meaning He chose the very minute in which He would die, rather than succumbing to His wounds and the Cross. He commended His spirit into the hands of the Father.

John 10:18

King James Version (KJV)

18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Matthew 27:50

King James Version (KJV)

50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

I believe the same statement is being made in all accounts, referring to the departure of the Spirit of Christ from the body. It makes it clear that death has taken place.

God bless.