1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured It is impossible to convince a Mormon that he is wrong!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Wittenberger, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Well, then my response to him was a checkmate since the oldest and most reliable manuscripts do not contain Mark 16:9-20, as I stated.

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are failing to understand another vital and common sense rule of hermeneutics. The Divine Purpose for any given book of the scriptures. If every book of the Bible had the same Divine purpose for producing it then what a boring and repetitious Bible.

Second, you are attempting to deal with a TOPIC [baptism] and so you have two problems confronting your narrow choice of the gospel of Mark. By limiting it to Mark you have chosen to ignore the vast amount of Biblical material concerning that subject AND you are assuming the purpose for the book of Mark is to define the relationship between baptism and salvation - I think not!

Third, you are also attempting to define salvation in connection with baptism and so any fair and balanced approach to scripture must also take into account the clear and unambiguous precepts and teachings of scripture concerning the basics of salvation.

Fourth, in dealing with baptism you are dealing with the topic of divine ordinances and so any fair and balanced approach must consider the overall teaching of God's divine purpose of external ordinances in relationship to salvation.

Finally, your problem is that you want to narrow, restrict and simplify what is broad, far reaching and sometimes complex. Thus you don't want to do the "work" of rightly dividing the Word of Truth and that is why I called sacramentalists "lazy" and "irresponsible" exegetes.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I cannot even begin to explain how this misrepresents this issue altogether. There are only two early manuscripts that do not include this. But no scholar anywhere will deny there are legitimate arguments made to support the existence of these verses.

4. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

It definitely does not misrepresent the issue. I am showing that it is unwise to try to establish doctrine on a verse that is not included in the oldest and most reliable manuscripts.

Here is what the NIV Bible says about it: "The most reliable early manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have Mark 16: 9-20."

And the NASB: "Some of the oldest manuscripts omit from verse 9 through 20."

I will quote an excerpt from Westcott and Hort ( and will add the rest if necessary): "It (the addition, vv. 9-20) manifestly cannot claim any apostolic authority..."

So, if you want to argue and discount what I said, go argue with the Bible translators.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea I know what the NIV says about it and that is not impressive. Westcott and Hort are not the only credible scholars out there that have spoken on this issue.

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=13&article=704

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

BTW, Rotherham's Emphasized Bible also concurs.

7. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Dear Brother,

You have alot of rules for interpreting the Bible---all of them man-made. Your "common sense rules" are not inspired by God. They may make perfect sense to YOU but God is not bound by what man considers "common sense".

I am happy to start with any of the Gospels. I thought that since I brought up Mark that I would start there, then go to the Book of Acts, and then into Romans and onward (we will be reading alot of Scripture together, brother!)

My idea is that we read each verse, with surrounding verses to present it in context, and each give his/her view of the literal interpretation of that verse or verses without bringing in the ECF, outside verses to reinterpret the plain, simple meaning of the verse/verses in question, and without bringing in any denominational confessions, doctrinal statements, etc.

I will include all verses that even hint that they may be discussing salvation/justification by faith. I will also include all verses that discuss baptism, whether it be John's baptism or Christ's baptism.

At the end of reading all the verses, from the Gospels through the epistles, we can then see if our overall interpretation has changed.

We will ONLY review Scripture. Will you agree?

#47 Wittenberger, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
  8. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Telling a fundamentalist Baptist that the King James Version of the Holy Bible contains non-inspired passages is like slapping a grizzly bear in the face. The expression "hell hath no fury like a Baptist seriously insulted" could be well applied to this situation.

Good luck.

9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Yes, I know. But I can't help it -- I'm not a fundamentalist. :)

10. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Well, Biblicist hasn't responded, so I'm just going to start with my review of Scripture on the doctrines of salvation and baptism.

Let's start at the very beginning of the New Testament, in the Gospel of Matthew. The first mention of baptism in the New Testament is in Matthew chapter 3. I am going to use the English Standard Version. If anyone feels that a particular verse is translated too differently from the King James, let me know and I will post the passage in the KJV.

I encourage everyone to follow these guidelines:

1. Read the passage and give what the simple, literal interpretation of the passage is, in your opinion.

2. No references to Early Church Fathers, denominational confessions or doctrinal statements. No bringing in outside verses to re-interpret the simple, literal meaning. Let's stick to the passage in question.

3. Once we've finished then we can each draw our conclusions, having first read all scriptures related to these doctrines. Agreed?

11. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Matthew 3

English Standard Version (ESV)

John the Baptist Prepares the Way

3 In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea, 2 “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” 3 For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah when he said,

“The voice of one crying in the wilderness:
    ‘Prepare[a] the way of the Lord;
    make his paths straight.’”

4 Now John wore a garment of camel's hair and a leather belt around his waist, and his food was locusts and wild honey. 5 Then Jerusalem and all Judea and all the region about the Jordan were going out to him, 6 and they were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.

7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? 8 Bear fruit in keeping with repentance. 9 And do not presume to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father,’ for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham. 10 Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

11 “I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.”

The Baptism of Jesus

13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. 14 John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” 15 But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented. 16 And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; 17 and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son,[c] with whom I am well pleased.”

Footnotes:a.Matthew 3:3 Or crying: Prepare in the wilderness
    b.Matthew 3:16 Some manuscripts omit to him
    c.Matthew 3:17 Or my Son, my (or the) Beloved

12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Those things I listed are Biblical based - every single one of them in addition to common sense.

If this is a preview of how you deal with basics what hope is there for us agreeing on anything at all??

The book of Romans is the Biblical masterpiece of soteriology. Let's begin there in chapter one, verse one.

13. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

It is very interesting to me in reading the third chapter of Matthew that there is no discussion made here to explain what baptism is and what is its purpose.

If John's baptism is something new, something never seen before by Jews, a "Christian" baptism, then why was all of Jerusalem, Judea and all the region about the Jordan going out to be baptized...even "many" of the Pharisees and Sadducees, the Jewish religion's heirarchy??

All these devout Jews were coming to a man clothed in camel's skin, who ate honey mixed with bugs, to be immersed in the muddy waters of the Jordan, in a brand new ritual that they had never seen before??

#53 Wittenberger, Aug 30, 2012
  14. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Matthew 3:11 is of course a very famous verse.

John states that he baptizes with water for repentance but that Someone is coming who is greater than he is and He will baptize with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

So the purpose of John's baptism in water is for repentance, nothing more. Christ's baptism (Christian baptism) will be with the Holy Ghost and with fire.

What does that last phrase mean? 1. Is this just a picture of Pentecost when the apostles were anointed with the Holy Spirit and flames of fire were on their heads? Does this verse only pertain to the apostles and not to anyone else?

2. Does this verse mean that in Christ's water baptism (Christian baptism) we are baptized at the same time with the Holy Spirit and with fire? I've never attended a Baptist or Lutheran baptism where I saw any fire.

3. Or does this verse speak of a spiritual baptism of the soul with the Holy Spirit and with fire? The Holy Spirit part makes sense in this interpretation but what about the fire??

I personally don't think this verse is clear enough in and of itself to know which meaning is correct. I think we will have to wait for more information with further reading of Scripture.

#54 Wittenberger, Aug 30, 2012
  15. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Matthew 3:13-17 is the baptism of Christ. John initially refuses to baptize Jesus, he wants Jesus to baptize him. Jesus responds by saying:

15 But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented. 16 And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him,[a] and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; 17 and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”

Why did Jesus say that John needed to baptize him "to fulfill all righteousness"? Jesus is God, he doesn't need more righteousness. What did Christ's baptism fulfill? A prophecy? A sign? No, it says that the purpose of Christ's baptism was to fulfill "all righteousness".

Just from this passage I have no idea what that means.

Lastly, I do want to point out the language used about the physical act of Christ's baptism: "immediately he went up from the water" I thnk this clearly indicates that Christ's baptism was by immersion.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Now that is rich, Catholics and Mormons in a debate about which faith is not the true church. LOL

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are illustrating very clearly why you are not a very good exegete. This chapter is FULL of explanations as to what baptism is and is not and its purpose IF one has eyes to see:

7 ¶ But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
    8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance
    :

Verse 8 denies that regeneration occurs in baptism simply because John demanded "fruits" or consequences that demonstrated and demanded repentance of sins has occurred as the qualification to be baptized. "fruits of repentance" means EVIDENCE OF A CHANGED LIFE TOWARD GOD! These are the "fruits" found in the presence and power of the Holy Spirit being demonstrable by how one thinks, talks and acts.

This verse defines the phrase "baptism of repentance" to mean a baptism in response to repentance or because of repentance.

Furthermore, he was "preaching" repentance and faith in Christ (vv. 2-3) as he quotes from Isaiah about "him" or the Messiah. This is made crystal clear by the apostle John in John 3;36 so clear one must be completely blind not to see it as the Apostle John spells out the gospel the Baptist preached in these words:

Jn. 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John the Baptist required repentance of sin and faith in Christ MANIFESTED BY FRUITS of repentance (MANIFEST CHANGED LIFE IN REGARD TO GOD AND SIN) as the prerequisite for baptism.

Immediately after demanding evidence of regeneration he clearly sets forth the prerequisite of regeneration prior to baptism in these words:

9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
    10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

He is clearly denying NATURAL BIRTH as qualifications for his baptism. He is clearly demanding the FRUIT OF REGENERATION as prerequisite for his baptism and those who do not bring forth such fruit are objects of judgement just as he plainly and explicitly stated in John 3:36 "the wrath of God abideth" on them.

He plainly defines this act as immersion only:

1. The term he chooses "baptizo" rather than rantizo or epicheo
    2. He baptized "IN Jordan"
    3. The prone position of Christ's body coming up out of the water so that he could see a dove in the sky above by the mode of baptism being administered.
    4. He came "up out" of the water WHEN viewing heaven at the same time.

Just look at the head position of those your Lutheran ministers provide a handful of water upon. Look at the administration of any church that sprinkles or pours and you will see they are not in a prone position so that they are looking up at heaven.

One must be blinded by false doctrines not to see baptism is clearly defined and its purpose, its mode, its proper candidates in this chapter.

Remember, Israel had no prophets since the time of Malici and here comes a prophet. Thus this is NEW and different for them. Second, you fail to consider the obvious.

Because his baptism was something NEW and DIFFERENT it drew the crowds to hear him. If it were not NEW and DIFFERENT you would not have the apostle John explaining why the leaders of Israel sent out a delegation to investigate the very reason he was baptizing followed by John providing that explanation:

1. They asked "who art thou" - v. 19

2. "Why then doest thou baptize" v. 25

Immersing was not new to them as they immersed all the furniture of the Temple as part of their ceremonial cleansing rituals. They immersed proselytes as part of their ceremonial cleansing rituals and it is this very practice that brought conflict between the Phariseess and the disciples of John because John did not immerse for ceremonial cleansing reasons but as he explains in Matthew 3:6-9 he baptized only those God HAD ALREADY CLEANSED and that cleansing was EVIDENCED by "fruit" of repentance.

Matthew 3 provides so much more information but you clearly do not have eyes to see for it is so plain and obvious that it jumps out from the pages to those who can see.

#57 The Biblicist, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
  18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

First, God sent John to baptize in order to make Christ manifest and only submission to the baptism of John would fulfill that righteousness.

Second, Jesus claimed the baptism of John justified God (declared God to be righteous) and those who refused to submit to John's baptism rejected "the counsel of God against themsevles" = SINNED AGAINST GOD and therefore Jesus fulfilled that righteousness.

Third, the act of baptism designed by the counsel of God was to be the very symbol of what does actually fulfill all righteousness and that is the very purpose for which Christ came as John predicted as "the lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world" - His death, burial and resurrection. The public ministry to fulfill that purpose began with the baptism of John.

Fourth, John explicitly preached repentance toward God and faith in Jesus Christ for salvation (Jn. 3:36) and this ordinance was adopted (Lk. 7:29-30) and furthered (Jn. 4:1-2) and incoporated in the Great Commission by Christ Himself (Mt. 28:19) and symbolized the very authority of his own ministry (Mt. 21:23,25).

Not because the information is not found in this chapter and the rest of the book of Matthew as it is there.

1. God sent John to baptize - v. 1 and so righteousness would demand obedience to God's man sent to administer God's ordinance.

2. This is how God would identify the messsiah - vv. 2-3 Thus this fulfilled the righteousness of prophecy.

3. This baptism was the seal of acceptance of what he preached and he preached the gospel of Jesus Christ - which was his mission as the rest of matthew describes in greater detail - thus fulfilled that righteousness of IDETNFICATION with his own mission.

The prequisites for immersion defy administration to infants as John refused to administer baptism to those who could not bring forth fruits demonstrating the presence of repentance. He refused to administer baptism to unbelievers. There is not one single solitary precept or example where anyone administered baptism to infants anywhere in the apostolic age - zilch, nada, none! Jesus said to reject the baptism of John as to reject "the counsel of God against yourselves" and that is precisely what paedobaptism does.

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The Greek preposition is "en" and the very same preposition used previously in verse 6 "in (en) Jordan". The whole context demands "in" not "with" as he baptized "IN" Jordan and the term "baptizo" means dip immerse and the prone position of the body of Christ in baptism demands he was face up when coming out of the water.

Contextually defined in verses 7-9 to be understood clearly as "BECAUSE OF" repentance as he demanded "fruits" to prove repentance had already occurred and a CHANGED life toward sin and God as prerequisit for baptism.

His hearers were of two classes: (1) those who manifested repentance and were baptized; (2) those who did not manifest repentance and whom he refused to baptize.

There are also TWO CONSEQUENCES inferred by verses 9-11 to those two classes.

1. The unrepentant will be "hewn down" and cast into "FIRE" and Christ would be their judge - v. 10

2. Hence, there was one of two consequences for those who made up his audiance. If they continued in unrepentance they would be judged by "fire" and thus rejected by Christ. If they repented they would be baptized in the Holy Spirit as a manifest acceptance by Christ.

3. The baptized believers were "made ready a prepared people" for the Lord (Lk. 1:17) by John to be formed into his ekklesia or "house of God" and every previous house of God had been first formed and then baptized in the shikinah glory of God as a manifest sign of approval (Ex. 40:33-35; 2 Chron. 7:1-3) and so it would be upon this assembly of baptized beleivers who habitually assembled with him from the baptism of John until his ascension (Acts 1:5; 21-22; 2:1-3).

20. Wittenberger

Wittenberger New Member

Your explanation is very good. I agree with everything you have said above. Martin Luther said that he thought the Church should return to the practice of immersion because it was the best picture of our death and resurrection in Christ. I'm not sure why he didn't push it further.

I personally believe that all churches should return to immersion, just as the Eastern Orthodox do.