1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It is possible we could have Bush as Pres and Edwards as VP?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Johnv, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Is there any possible way that GW Bush (Rep Pres candidate) will end up being President, and and John Edwards (Dem VP candidate) will end up end up being Vice President?

Yes, this is a test question [​IMG]

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Yes, if we have a 269-269 electoral college tie, and the House selects GWB as POTUS and the Senate selects Edwards as VP, we would end up with a Bush/Edwards administration.

I'm sure if this happend it would be the end of the electoral college in America, and we would become a true democracy.

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Then let us pray it doesn't happen.

I love democracy, and I think people are the best ones to decide how they should be governed.

But putting a bit of a delay on the will of the people to make big changes, is a very wise thing, as Washington observed.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Excellent, JGrubbs! Yep, you were the first answer, and the correct answer. here's how it works:

If Bush/Cheney and Kerry/Edwards tie with the number pf electoral votes they receive, then it goes to Congress to vote. The constitution states that each state gets one vote. The Senate votes for POTUS, and the House of Representatives votes for VP. The vote would take place when the new Congress takes its place in January.

As of January of 2005, there's expected to be a Republican majority in the Senate, so Bush would likely receive a majority of votes. The House of Reps, OTOH, is expected to have a majority of democrats, so they're likely to vote for Edwards.

Of course, the chances of that happening are about as likely as the Red Sox winning the World Series.

5. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

According to the Twelfth Amendment the House of Representatives shall choose the President and the Senate shall choose the Vice-President.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oops, I got my upper and lower houses backwards. I must be vertically dyslexic. Anyway, the possibility of having Bush as pres and Edwards as VP is still there for the reasons stated (just flip the house names :eek: )

7. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Execpt for a few states that require its electors to vote as required, electors may vote anyway they want to. Therefore if enough Republicians vote for Edwards as Veep, (and still cast their ballot for W -) then Edwards would be vice prez!