1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It is reading, isn't it?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by standingfirminChrist, Dec 29, 2005.

1. standingfirminChrist

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mind. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

2. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly an interesting concept, but take care before beliveing too much from it.

Firstly, all words with 3 or less letters are spelt correctly

Secondly, 4 letter words is a case of simpl transposing two letters, not a big issue.

Thirdly, the average word is usually reconed to be 5 letters long.

Fourthly, the item used has an average word length of 4.4 letters.

Fifthly, it is a non-technical piece, imagine trying it with a lot of medical or engineering terms in the text.

Sixthly, standardised spelling is a fairly recent phenomonon, really only since dictionaries came into vouge.

Seventhly, there are spelling variations due to different "English" used in different countries, we cope with that! (even what the Americans use!)

Eighthly, Instant Messaging and SMS have created havoc with spelling anyway, we have been taught to 'see' what people mean.

Ninethly, It's a great excuse for the way I spell ;)

Regards
    Bob

3. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I have to edit in my mind so often at work that it is second nature now. [​IMG]