1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It is tough being a Republican this go around

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by LeBuick, Aug 31, 2008.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And they, the Republicians, have earned this dubious reputation. Corruption, arrogancy, putting big industry first, distaning the needs of the people all play a role in this view of the Republician Party.

Politics runs in cycles ... and they are in the down mode currently.

3. Josiah

Josiah New Member

First let me say this: It does not "suck" to be a Republican this go around! After the appointment of Sarah Palin as VP candidate, I am THRILLED to be a Republican!! This woman will, IMO, not only invigorate the Republican base, but draw enough disgruntled Dem. women to our side that we will WIN in Nov!!! Her record in Alaska of conservative values speaks for itself - Staunch Pro-Life, fiscal responsibility, blue-collar appeal, common-sense environmental policy, and she's pro- women's rights. This conservative woman adds so much to the McCain ticket that I'm more excited about being a Republican than I've been in ages. :thumbs:

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Republican Party will get another well-deserved whipping on November 4 like they received in 2006.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I look forward to it!

6. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

To the moderators:

Is the title of this thread appropriate for the baptist board?

AJ

All sorted - C4K

#6 ajg1959, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  7. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "popularity" can be very subjective. Think about the examples in the scriptures. Sometimes God's chosen leaders were very popular with the people and sometimes they were not, however we are called to discern the actions of the leader, holding their actions up against the scriptures to discern whether they are meant for good or for evil.

If I said to my children "you get nothing but cookies and candy to eat, as much as you want" they would no doubt tell every kid in the neighbourhood how wonderful I am!

Good leaders pray to God and do what is best for the good of the people they serve and for the good of the whole world. Not necessarily giving them everything they desire, and many times this desire is selfishness, but doing what is best for the greater good or long term.

Popularity can be bad or it can be good. The question is what is the person popular or unpopular for? In GW Bush's case, he is unpopular for caring about the people of another country and their suffering. So Bush is unpopular for having good biblical reasons for his actions.

The country, which is mostly unbelievers who could care less about Jesus Christ and His cause, cannot see the suffering going on in the world and could care less. So they do not like Bush and his quest for helping the suppressed around the world. But Bush has a greater Judge than these lost people. God will judge his actions and make the final judgment on his actions. Did GW Bush fulfill the royal law, love thy neighbour as thyself, or did he ignore those people around the world who needed the USA's help?

This is were the nay sayers will say "Bush has done nothing for the people of Africa". Ok, how does this make helping the people in Iraqu a terrible thing? God will judge Bush for his invovlement or lack thereof around this globe. As for Iraqu, Bush has done a good thing for it's people even if they in the end reject their opportunity for freedom.

As far as "excitement around the candidate". My only excitement is watching God raise these people up to give the voters a chance to participate in His plans. Most of the voters in this country will be unbelievers, so don't expect God to give us a godly leader just because their are some Christians living here. God may give us a Christian leader or He may give us a non-Christian leader. Either way God expects Christians to support the candidate who honours His word, even if that person is not the person God has lined up for the next term. We have our own individual judgment to go to and give an answer for why we supported who we did. I pray we can give scripture for our support and not just tell Him the candidate excited me!

:jesus:

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ken. can you show us from scripture why the republican party derseves a whipping?

9. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Can you show us from Scripture why they don't?

I'm not saying they do/don't, I'm just showing why the "show me a verse" tactic here doesn't really make sense.

10. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I still do not understand how anyone professing to be a Christian can vote for a party that supports the murder of 4,000 American babies a day.

I have to look no further to see that a vote for that party is a deliberate, premeditated sin.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. Any democrat will have to answer to God personally for their self centered motivations...

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Because there are many other causes equally important on God's agenda that are being discarded if you can only be moved by one issue. Jesus warned us of being single minded but I don't think that matters.

We can't just look at one page of the book and believe we are doing His Will. One has to consider the complete word of God if we are to live according to His Word. Murder is only one transgression out of many. What about Love, forgiveness or mercy? In this light neither choice for president is Godly so to imply we'll have to answer to God for whom we vote means we all should fear the judgment.

However, this thread was based on an article detailing how Republicans are distancing themselves from their own party in an attempt to be reelected. This has to show how the republican agenda is so unpopular that their own are fleeing the convention for fear of guilt by association. This is like not attending the family reunion for fear people will think I love my family. In my view, that would suck.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

We'll have to add this to Mt 25... "All the democrats please move to my left..." :laugh: :thumbs:

14. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

All of us democrats don't see it the way you do, thankfully.

15. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I have to ask, what about this title breaks the rules?

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

It has been modified.

17. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

No wonder I couldn't see anything wrong with it, I didn't see it before it was modified. :wavey:

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

To be fair to LeBuick, it wasn't 'that bad'. I just had one complaint and could see the point made so felt it better to be safe than sorry.

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't think Jesus warned anything about being singleminded, you could post the scripture maybe. Secondly, nobody suggested a Christian should be so I believe the statement is irrelevant.

Murder is pretty clear in the Word and most democrats are supporting it. Can you give us examples of other transgressions from either party? You say "What about Love, forgiveness and Mercy?" Give us an example please.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't vote for a party. I vote for individual candidates and in my lifetime I have voted for Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, Greens, Constitutionalists, and independents.