1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured It Will Cost You Everything

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Feb 11, 2012.

1. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I read my Bible everyday. I also read and watch many other resources. I compare what I come across to Scripture. I also try to deal fairly with what I come across by keeping it in context. Otherwise we risk following false teachers, or we take a comment out of context and claim we know what people are teaching.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

All Baptist churches are independent, but You are not Baptist. Your church is non denominational.

#22 freeatlast, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
  3. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

:thumbsup: You can read MacArthur's book (TGAtJ) where he explains his doctrine concerning Lordship Salvation.

4. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I would suggest watching Piper's DVD series TULIP.

EDIT: Be prepared to take notes and flip through a lot of Scripture. Most people don't know Piper used to be an Arminian. In this series he explains how he came to believe in God's grace and the doctrines of TULIP.

#24 mont974x4, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012
  5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

What are you using to conclude Gershom is not Baptist, or his church?

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

My God, man, did you not read what he said? They were a Baptist church that simply changed the name from "Baptist" to "Community"; they didn't change the doctrine. Stop persecuting and harassing him.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

That is EXTREME error. Bordering on heresy...if not heresy.

We are justified by faith in Christ, and faith in Christ ALONE.

Nothing added.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

His church does not belong to any Baptist association, the church does not claim to be Baptist as they abandoned the denomination to become a non denominational which is what they claim to be on their web site.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No one is being persecuted. The church did not want to be affiliated with the Baptist name and denomination and became non denominational. It is not a Baptist church. Was perhaps but no longer.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Okay guys, here's the word from the moderator.

Gershom lists himself as Baptist, and that's all that's required.

I'm satisfied.

So let's move on.

11. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leave it to FAL to rabbit trail on a thread that he started!

It would be great if he had been more interactive with his own thread.

Rather than ministering in love to whomever may respond, he immediately questioned the respondent's qualifications to post.

Has he always this quick to judgment?

12. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's No Way to Serve Jesus, Without...

...knowing that the costs will be great. Be it sacrificing your family, friends, personal habits, idols, etc., the believer will be prompted by the Holy Ghost, along the way, to make choices for the Kingdom; and those choices will never be easy, which is why they call it a sacrifice.

Being a believer who is soul'd out to Jesus and willing to follow Him down that narrow, difficult path, means surrender, sacrifice, and personal cost. Being a Jesus person is not for the wishy-washy, nor is it for the half committed heart. It will cost you everything, but the rewards are eternal.

The costs will come, and you must be ready to say, "Yes, Lord yes!" Sometimes God reveals the changes and sacrifices through His Holy Ghost. Other times the sacrifices are revealed in seeing the need to discard and rid yourself of the things in life and things that life includes as enjoyable and pleasurable, in order to please Him and be more like what He has called us to be.

No matter how we discover the need for change, it is never easy, and it is never over. Thus, we know what it means to be subjected to the process of sanctification on our way to glorification, following that moment of surrender and repentance known as justification!

Great post FAL! We all need to be reminded of the costs, from time to time! :type:

13. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FAL asked/stated, What does it cost you to follow Christ? Everything.

I don't know about any of you folks but accepting Jesus as my savior DID NOT COST ME A THING!!!

With 20 20 hindsight I was looking..., but didn't realize I was looking..., nor did I know what I was looking for..., until He found me one day and opened the doors for a better life.

Just like folks who say that as kids they never knew they were from a poor family. I never knew I was lost until I realized I needed to be saved.

Cost? Zero! Praise the Lord!

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well yes it did cost me my arrogance, self righteousnesses, my anger, my bad habits....all & all, my sin nature.

But it was replaced with a love I would have never found had I never been given the opportunity to know God. A complete turn around & salvation (that which I did not deserve) :godisgood:

15. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well yes it did cost me my arrogance, self righteousnesses, my anger, my bad habits....all & all, my sin nature.

Yep, I agree.

I had a friend that was into Wicca. One drank like a fish. One had a girlfriend on the side. I suspect that another would go either way.

I came to realize one day these folks I knew were not really "friends". They were acquaintances..., but not friends by definition. Even in the churches we belong we have only acquaintances.

One day I heard a man say that if you go through your entire life and end up with one true friend then consider yourself very fortunate.

In reality, none of us have any real friends. We are all "independent" agents which is why we are all saved "individually". There is no mass salvation. We all come to Jesus as individuals. Then, and only then does our affiliation with others narrow down to other believers. Birds of a feather. Right?

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, there is a scriptural example of a young man who failed to give it all up:

Matthew 19
    16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
    17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
    21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
    22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Presumably anyone who has actually done this (sold all his possessions and given it to the poor) would not have a home, a car, a computer and/or access to the web to tell us that we need to do the same.​

HankD​

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct in poing out that we CANNOT make the purchase of eternal life. The cost is the precious blood of Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 1
    18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
    19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.​

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.​

FAL seems to be asking concerning something else - what in our lives will we "give up" to follow Christ.

I asked, is the "Rich Young Ruler" our model - go sell all that you possess and come follow me?

HankD​

#37 HankD, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, in order to be saved, we must turn from "self", and turn to Christ. When we come to the realization that we can do nothing to save ourselves, we must humble ourselves under God's mighty hand, and surrender to Him. That sounds like Lordship Salvation to me.

God resisteth the proud, but giveth Grace to the humble.

19. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Would say that it cost jesus His very physical life to die on my behalf before His Father, while he asks me to walk in the Holy spirt, stay in Him ans His word, and fellowship with others saints in community, thus fulfilling my "requirements" unto him!

it will cost me my plans/will/purpose, as need to daily be seeking and making sure that His will an dplans become my will/plans/purposes!

#39 DaChaser1, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
  20. JoReba

JoReba New Member

What exactly do you mean by saying, "It will cost you everything to follow Christ?"

There is nothing in Scripture which says this. In fact, there is no Scripture which either specifies or demonstrates that we are to "Give our hearts to Jesus."