1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"It's a Great Life" (TZ)

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Alcott, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just watched the Twilight Zone episode, "It's a Great Life," and I have never seen that one with such a sense of what Serling or the writer(s) may have been trying to show on this. The well-known ep is basically simple-- a 6-year-old boy has great powers from sources completely unknown. He lives in a little farming community in Ohio, and the people there do not even know if the outside world exists any more, for he has destroyed all communications by just 'wishing them away' and he has put the community back into a pre-modern age. He also has gotten rid of people who displease him by "wishing them into the cornfield"-- I'm not sure if they ever really define what that means. Anyway, seeing it tonight gave me the impression that Anthony (the monstrous 6-year-old) is a parody of God. His powers are from unknown and his existence is happenstance, but extremely unfortunate for those in his 'world'-- who must keep their thoughts about him happy and affirm anything he does, or otherwise they may be 'wished into the cornfield.' So their minds are enslaved-- as our atheist and agnostic friends like to say. And he will 'wish someone into the cornfield' for having what is just a normal desire-- like the man who wanted to play a Perry Como record on his birthday. That corresponds to going to hell for carrying out-- or even desiring-- carnal pleasures and being cast out by a God for doing so.

I know there (presumably still) are Twilight Zone fans on this board. Has this episode ever impressed you in this way, that it is a mockery of belief in a God that reads our thoughts and has a very 'human' reaction to them with all power to do what he wants?

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember the episode, but I honestly cannot say what my feeling was since it was probably its original airing when I saw it. (late 50-early 60's?)

Anyway, I do know the emotions you describe, cause I've probably seen 95+% of the originals, and do remember that feelings similar to yours came from some episodes.

I've always enjoyed these science-fiction tales for the off-the-wall scenarios that, most of the time, had some bizarre climax.