1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Its Spring... any body ready for Baseball!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

Dustin:

Divine is said to have wicked "stuff." From what I have read he has looked great this Spring and is showing no ill effects from giving up all of those grannies last season. We have to cut him some slack, he just finished his college career. The fact that he made it to the big leagues so fast shows how much potential he has.

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Oakland is looking pretty good, I wonder if they will make it to the World Series.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm ready for the Reds to break back into the postseason. I'm ready to watch "Rent-a-team", a.k.a. the Atlanta Braves, do what they do best: win another meaningless pennant and then choke in the playoffs. I'm ready for the steroid talk to be over. I'm ready for Rollins to break DiMaggio's record. I'm ready for Pete Rose, Dave Concepcion, and Dale Murphy to take their rightful place in Cooperstown.

GO REDS! Take me out to the ballgame!!!!!

4. Convicted by the Spirit

once again I see that the "experts" have voted my Astro's about middle of the field. Don't count them out. I am looking in to my crystal ball and I see that the Bluejays and Mets have once again overspent and will miss the playoffs.

AL:

East: Yankees
    Central: Indians
    West: Angels
    Wildcard: Redsox

NL:

East: Braves
    Central: Cards
    West: Dodgers
    Wildcard: Astros

World Series: Yankees over Dodgers

5. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

Convicted! You the man! [​IMG]

6. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

There was a time - several years ago - before the last strike - we watched every Met game - if we were home. If we weren't home - we'd tape it and watch it later.

But since the last strike - you know where rich boys need more money - I've lost interest in baseball.

I think maybe NASCAR had something to do with that!

7. Convicted by the Spirit

I actually HATE the yankees ... any one but the yankees, but you can only deny them the championship for too long. If they don't win it this year then someone is going to loose their job. Teams never to root for ... Yankees, Cowboys and Lakers.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

My picks for MLB '06.

AL:

East: Yankees
    Central: White Sox
    West: Athletics
    Wildcard: Redsox

NL:

East: Braves
    Central: Cards
    West: Giants
    Wildcard: Astros

World Series: Yankees over Cardinals

We have a guy in our dept. who is a big Cubs fan. He left 10 mins. ago to watch the game this afternoon. A co-worker who doesn't know much about baseball told him, "May the best team win." I thought, "That's the last thing a Cubs fan wants to hear."

:D

9. Convicted by the Spirit

HA HA ... I bet the cub fans are going to hear it all year long from the Whitesox fans. thanks for giving some love to the Stros!

10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

As we should hear it from the White Sox fans, they are the world champs. They have every right to speak up.

Cubs get off to a good start with 5 runs in the first inning. Two of their new starters Juan Pierre and Matt Murton had big hits.

11. D28guy

D28guy New Member

And HERE I AM!..speaking speaking SPEAKING! [​IMG] :D

Yep, I am an almost lifetime CHICAGO WHITE SOX fan!

Although I have never lived in Chicago I adopted them as my favorite team as a lttle kid back in the late 60's/early 70's. At night in the summer I used to love to tune the radio dial on the clock radio next to my bed, and listen to whatever major league games I could pull in on some of the strong radio stations. I could pick up the Red Sox(WBZ, Boston) the Tigers, the Reds of course(am 700), Atlanta Braves, Cardinals(KMOX), the Pirates, sometimes the Cubs, etc.

Anyway, for whatever reason I just became a huge fan of the White Sox. Dont know why. Maybe I felt sorry for them or something, but they just became my team.

I even remember lots of those players. Luis Aparicio, Sandy Alomar(for 1 year) Bill Melton, Wilbur Wood, Carlos May, Hoyt Wilhelm, Tommy John, Walt Williams, etc.

I never thought I'd ever live to see them win a World Series. Last fall was incredible. I actually FELT LIKE A LITTLE KID when they won it! It was great!

It seems like a lot of these "so called" curses are falling in baseball. The Cleveland Indians had a long string of futility end several years ago when they made a couple of World Series.(may have won one, cant remember) The Boston Red Sox of course won the World Series 2 years ago and broke their *supposed* curse, and then last year my WHITE SOX.

And the weird this is, as the Boston Red Sox won their long awaited World Series 2 years ago, I remember thinking "I'm really glad for them, but why not the White Sox? Cleveland got theirs, Boston get theirs, but why not my White Sox????

I didnt know but I was only 365 days away from seeing it!

And that pretty much leaves...

The Cubs. :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

Go White Sox!

Mike

12. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The Indians lost the 95 World Series to the Braves in 6 games and then lost the 97 World Series in 7 games to the Florida Mercenaries, ahem, that is, the Florida Marlins.

Heh. The Cubs win the World Series.

[​IMG]

You know that a team has big problems when their hopes for the season begin with, "If 2 pitchers that usually spend half the season on the DL can just stay off the DL..." [​IMG]

13. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Ever notice how much Cards fans sound more and more like Cubs fans (and past White Sox fans)? In 1492, in 1929, in 73 A.D., in 2007...
    Cubs-Don't you NEED those three starting pitchers?
    Cards-you had the best record in baseball last year. What more can we do to help you?

GO SOX (not red ones, either).

14. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have a lot of fun being a Cub fan living in Cardinal country.

I am not going to say the Cubs will make the playoffs this year. But I will say I like the fact that most people are discounting their chances this year. I would rather have them in that position as opposed to being the favorite of many people like they were in 2004.

I think the White Sox have a great chance of making the World Series again, especially if Thome stays healthy.

Should be a good year!

15. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Went to the Phillies' home opener yesterday. That should put me off baseball for a while.

The game was excruciating. Hey, here's a bright idea: we're down by six runs. Let's intentionally walk Jim Edmunds to load the bases for Scott Rolen.

I don't know how you Indian fans sat through all those years of Charlie Manuel.

I did think it showed a lot of class on the part of Tony LaRussa to instuct his guys to pitch to Jimmy Rollins, though. He didn't have to do that but that's just the kind of big guy that he is.

Meanwhile, we're stuck with Charlie Manure.

16. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And on top of that, Mike, you were sitting in the cold, wind, and rain, yes?

Not as bad as opening day in CB Park's first season. I was there and froze, only to see them lose.

17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

It was truly nasty. To top that off, I was wearing shorts because I was convinced that the sun was going to come out.

Ah, I remember it well.

We're lifelong season ticket holders so I got to see the last game at the Vet and the first game at the Bank.

The last game at the Vet was memorable because it was cloudy and overcast all day, and then when Tug McGraw stepped out of that limo, the sun came out.

The most memorable thing about the first game at the Bank was walking through Ashburn Alley and thinking, "After thirty years in that concrete tomb across the street, I think I may have died and gone to Heaven".

18. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they really made it a great place. But think it should've been Ashburn Park, not just having an Ashburn Alley.

Hope to get back there soon. Who knows? Maybe they'll do better this year in spite of Charlie!

19. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Mike McK...

Thats precisely what I thought when the Reds moved out of miserable Riverfront/Cinergy stadium and into Great America.

WHAT...IN...THE...WORLD...were people thinking when they built those nauseating monstrocities?

Cincinatti, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Houston, etc were all CURSED with those giant ASHTRAYS with plastic grass and white lines where the infield dirt should have been.

(St Louis is the only city to succesfully "redeem" the cursed ashtry. They put in grass and managed to make it look better)

Must have been some type of stadiun insanity that plagued the nation back then.

Mike

20. D28guy

D28guy New Member

DebbyinPhilly,

Ahhhh, but that cant be.

Today its all about...

"Show me da moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!"

Sadly,

Mike