1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Its Spring... any body ready for Baseball!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, Mar 24, 2006.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well April is just about in the can, what are your thoughts regarding the first month of MLB? What surprises have you seen and what dissapointments?

I am gald the Tigers have done well, in fact they are beating the Twins 6 to 0 in the fith inning now as I type.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

My thoughts on the first month are basically that it's next to impossible to keep up with my fantasy baseball team. I haven't been paying attention to the standings, mostly because it's only April, but I just looked and when did the Cincinnati Reds get good enough to be 16-7?

The Big Red Machine was my team as a kid, and the Reds were my team until the strike. After 94, I've had no team. I may have to jump back on the Reds bandwagon after all these years.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

ccr, as a fellow Bears fan I cannot allow you to like the Reds? [​IMG]

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Is this going to be like an intervention where you save me from myself? [​IMG]

You might think, since I'm a Bears fan that obviously has a history of rooting for inept teams that I'd be a Cubs fan. [​IMG]

Such is not the case. I'm not a Cardinals fan either. As good as he is, I simply cannot bring myself to root for a player named Pujols. :cool:

I don't even know who the Reds best player(s) is/are, so I'm not sure it's possible to be a fan of a team and not know who the players are.

5. PastorSBC1303

ccr for some reason I was thinking you were a White Sox fan.

Back away from the Reds, back far far away. [​IMG]

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well it looks like the Twins days of being a playoff contender are done for a while. They just got swept by Detroit in a 3 game series where the Tigers outscored them 33-1! Now that is a smack down! If Detroit wins tonight against the Royals they will have their best record in 26 games since 1984, which is of course is the last time they won the world series.

My mind though can't help but wonder if this is for real. Have the Tigers found their roar again? After being dissapointed for so many years (1993 was our last winning season) I remain skeptical. Perhaps if they are still doing this well come the All Star break I will become more convinced.

7. PastorSBC1303

The Tigers look pretty good. If they had a different manager I would be really skeptical of how good they actually are, but with Leyland there I tend to feel they are for real.

Leyland has a way of getting the best out of all his players. If I were a Tiger fan I would be pretty excited, and definitely if they are still playing this way at Memorial Day, then I think they are for sure in the hunt this year.

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

If the Tigers get career years out of some of their pitchers, then they can make a run for everyone's money. Problem is, they are in the same division as the best team in baseball. The most they could hope for is a wild card, which means they would most likely play the Yankees in the first round. Nothing would be sweeter than beating them in the playoffs!

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The White Sox are good, but the Tigers are only a game and a half behind them. If they can sustain this kind of pace throughout the year who knows what could happen. I too am surprised by how good their pitching has been. They really pulled through in that long western road trip when the hitting cooled off (that seems to have changed [​IMG] ).

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

The White Sox are good, but the Tigers are only a game and a half behind them. If they can sustain this kind of pace throughout the year who knows what could happen. I too am surprised by how good their pitching has been. They really pulled through in that long western road trip when the hitting cooled off (that seems to have changed [​IMG] ). </font>[/QUOTE]Their first task is to start beating the White Sox themselves. They got swept by them a couple of weeks ago. Had the Tigers simply just won 1 game in that series, they would be up by 1/2 game in 1st place. At this pace, (1.5 out after 1 month), the Tigers will be about 9 games out of 1st place by the end of the season. The Sox will win 100, while the best I think the Tigers can muster is around 90 wins; maybe 95 if everything goes their way.

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The White Sox are good, but the Tigers are only a game and a half behind them. If they can sustain this kind of pace throughout the year who knows what could happen. I too am surprised by how good their pitching has been. They really pulled through in that long western road trip when the hitting cooled off (that seems to have changed [​IMG] ). </font>[/QUOTE]Their first task is to start beating the White Sox themselves. They got swept by them a couple of weeks ago. Had the Tigers simply just won 1 game in that series, they would be up by 1/2 game in 1st place. At this pace, (1.5 out after 1 month), the Tigers will be about 9 games out of 1st place by the end of the season. The Sox will win 100, while the best I think the Tigers can muster is around 90 wins; maybe 95 if everything goes their way. </font>[/QUOTE]I think they can beat the White Sox, and they came close in that series if you remember. That was before Leyland chewed them out about losing. Once he did that they have not stopped winning, except for one game in Oakland and one in against the Angels.

Another thing that is interesting is that even after thumping the Twins, the Tigers did not seem to really celebrate. This is important and this is somthing else Jim Leyland is teaching them. They had the attitude that they were supposed to win. That is somthing they have not had for years, which I think is making a difference.

12. PastorSBC1303

Having a much better season and beating the World Champs are completely different things.

I expect the White Sox to win the division and the Tigers to possibly compete for the wild card.

And compared to their recent seasons is a tremendous turn around.

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well the White Sox are only a half a game ahead of the Tigers now with their loss to Cleavland and Detroits win over KC last night.

"Detroit's pitching staff leads the major leagues in ERA (3.09), shutouts (5) and opponent batting average (.216)."

Who would have thought that was possible?

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Just how good has the Detroit Tigers pitching been these past few weeks? Well, the Tigers are off to the best pitching start of any American League team in 16 years. Who would have thought?

I certainly am enjoying this as it is great to have a winning baseball team in Detroit after so many years. I hope this can be sustained.

15. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Guess whose in first place in the AL central now? Wow, who would have thought the Tigers would be in first place. I think it is time to start saying they are "real". Its nice to have baseball return to the "D" as we affectionatly call it. Detroit is becoming Tiger town once again.

Of course as Jim Leyland, Tigers manager, said it really doesn't matter whose in first till the last game of the season. There is still a lot of baseball to play, but at least right now, it looks like the Detroit Tigers can actually play baseball and play it well.

I hope to go to a game on Memorial day weekend, proabably against the Indians.

17. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Leyland was on ESPN radio this morning. He kind of surprised me - he said their record is probably better than they really are, and he expects it will even out by the end of the season. He says they are a good team but not a great team yet. Kind of a discouraging thing to say, don't you think? Maybe he's playing head games with his players to keep them motivated? I don't know.

I've been telling all my Reds friends down here that last weekend we swept one Ohio team, and this weekend we get to sweep the other Ohio team!

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I will add that the Tigers schedule has been kind of easy so far. Coming up they play the Yankees and Red Sox back-to-back, I think. They also have only played the White Sox 3 games.

19. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I don't think it has been that easy. Cleavland is tough, and they have had winning series against other decent teams; the Angels, the Twins, Oakland, Seattle. April's schedual was pretty tough, as is the end of May. I expect them to beat the Reds a couple of times, as well as the Yankees. If they do that, I think we need start considering them a good team.

20. PastorSBC1303

The Cubs have done their annual swoon a month early....

Oh well...maybe next year, right?

I do wish the Tigers well. Of all the Detroit teams I like them the best [​IMG]