1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

It's that time of year again . . .

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild,
    Daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild,

Weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört,

Den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here we go again . . .

Is killing for pleasure hunting in the proper way? Does that honor the Creator in the creature?

3. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I go into the woods with the intention to hunt then I go with the understanding that an animal will die. If I aim my rifle or bow at an animal with the intention of pulling the trigger or releasing the bowstring I do so with the understanding that an animal will die. If you go to Burger King and order a Whopper, you do so with the knowledge that a cow died. What is the difference?

I take great pleasure in:

• my skills as a woodsman.
    • in my marksmanship.
    • in my study and understanding of the prey.
    • in having the experience and knowledge to tell the difference between a fawn and a fully mature animal.
    • in being properly equipped for the prevailing weather conditions.
    • in carefully selecting my point of aim to minimize any suffering on the part of the animal. The buck I killed didn't even twitch an ear after he was hit.
    • in bringing home a large cooler full of meat that will be enjoyed throughout the year to come.
    • in following in the traditions of my great-grandfather, grandfather and father before me.
    I believe all those things are honoring to both the Creator and the creature.
    I do not take pleasure in:

• yahoos that shoot anything that moves
    • yahoos that leave the deer hanging off the back of their truck at the local gin mill
    • yahoos that leave a deer hanging in a tree in their yard until the whole county sees what they got
    • yahoos that will hunt out of season or with the aid of lights
    • yahoos that cut the head or antlers off the deer they killed and leave the carcass in the woods
    • yahoos that leave garbage in the woods
    • yahoos that hunt in large packs
    • yahoos that wound an animal and won't track it until found
    I believe none of those things honor the Creator or the creature.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I too take no pleasure in sloth.
    One is that you take pleasure in killing the animal. A second difference is that killing the animal is your primary focus, the climax of your trip, not the procurement of food.

Interesting that you didn't say in this place that you took pleasure in the kill.

But again, what are the manly qualities brought into play? Jesus did none of these things. Was he a sissy?

5. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking of Jesus....

Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.
    Matthew 17:27 KJV

I was reading this passage earlier and have a few observations to make. Jesus taught an important lesson about God's provision and power over His creation including causing a fish to swallow a coin for the paying of taxes - an important lesson in itself. Jesus instructs Peter to go fishing. Thumb through the Gospels and you'll see many mentions of Peter fishing but there is one important difference in the manner of take. Peter is always seen as fishing with nets. Jesus instructs Peter, on this occasion, to use a hook. Twenty something pages ago someone mentioned the practice of catch and release as being akin to shooting an animal.

Why the seemingly cruel use of a hook to catch a fish when Peter had demonstrated he was quite capable of catching a fish with a net. The fish wasn't being caught for food. It was being caught to extract a coin that was miraculously found in its mouth. What became of the fish? Peter fished because it was his livelihood. He caught fish to eat not to catch and release. Did the fish die for Jesus to make a point? Was it released with a puncture wound in its mouth? If Jesus could direct the fish to have a coin in its mouth certainly He could have had it run into a net.

In order to procure the food it is necessary to kill the animal. I know I've mentioned it before but you keep divorcing this part from the whole. I hunt for food. It is an inseparable part of the whole. If I want venison in my freezer I must kill an animal for this to happen. At what point should I feel regret or remorse? If you want a hamburger a cow has to die. Do you feel remorse when you go to Wendy's? Do you enjoy a Big Mac or do you weep for the cow that died and the evil butcher that took its life. You mentioned earlier that you felt nothing when slaughtering chickens. Why not? Are chickens of any less worth than a deer or a cow?

God has given these animals to us for food. The State of New York says I have the legal right to take one of these animals if I follow the proper and prescribed rules for doing so. I follow those rules and we eat what I shoot. I already recounted my hunt from last week. Would you be satisfied if I told you I recited the Choctaw prayer, "I meant you no harm, Brother Deer, but there is hunger in the lodge."

But you enjoyed the kill.... You make it sound like I danced over the carcass singing, "I killed you! I killed you!" Give me a break. It is obvious you have never hunted nor spent any significant time with those that do.

BTW, what did you have for supper tonight? I hope it wasn't an animal. You might choke on the inconsistency.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Whats the difference between me going out into the wild and taking a deer by gun--and eating venison and me pinning up a Brangis steer--fatting him a little-and shooting him with my gun and eating beef??

This thread has reached its page limit and will be closed

Please feel free to begin another thread of like subject if you so choose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.