1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I've got tickets to the midnight showing of "Narnia"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Johnv, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

They've never have a "practice of preference". i've had numerous family and friends work for Disney in numerous departments who confirm this. In fact, my wife and her sister worked at the Disneyland Resort for several years each, and they confirm this.
    "Gay Days" is an outside event not associated with Disney or any other theme park or resort destination. This has been discussed and affirmed in numerous threads. In fact, I'm surprised that this still comes up from time to time.

2. buckster75

buckster75 Member

But "gay day" at Disney exists whether Disney has anything to do with it or not. ( the park in Fla. anyway) I know people who accedentally showed up on that day. And I am sure I saw a 20/20 or one of the news shows which turned up documents about the hiring practice.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

But it has nothing to do with the Disney Corporation, and I don't hold them responsible for the actions of others. Anyway, this is off-topic, and is being discussed elsewhere. No need to hijack the topic here.

4. buckster75

buckster75 Member

My problem is Disney never discouraged it. And they could have. the reason it is brought up is. Should chritians support disney with questionable history. Another book you might read "Disney and the Bible"

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

OKAY, HERE'S MY REVIEW:

Anticipation of this movie has been somewhat high for me. I first read the book in 6th grade, and still ahve special childhood memories associated with the story. My bigest worry was the amount of dramatic license that would be used to flesh out a 2 hour movie that, if held strictly to the book, might run just over an hour. Well, my worries were for nothing.

The on screen depiction is filled out so faithfully that only a person who has committed the book to memory will be able to discern what is strictly book and what is written for the screenplay. The movie starts with a brief backstory that sets the mood of WW2 England and the mental condition that four children of that era would have been put in. The four actors who play the parts of Peter, Edmund, Susan, and Lucy are perfectly cast. In fact, Susan and Peter were exactly as I had pictured them in my mind's eye as a sixth grader too many years ago. The CGI is so flawless, It took me several scenes before I realized that there's no way human legs could fit into "fawn pants". Mr Tumnus is incredibly convincing, and between him and the bevers, there's just the right amount of much needed comic relief. The White Witch is so convincing that one would have no problem believing that Satan can appear as an angel of light (I don't know if that was in Lewis' mind when he wrote her, but, intended or not, the biblical point is well made).

Then there's Aslan. Again, I can't say enough about the CGI. He looks like a real lion in every single scene. Plus, the voice of Lliam Neeson does for Aslan what James Earl Jones does for Darth Vader or Mufasa. I can't think of a more perfect voice to fit the part. In the climactic sacrifice scene (which everyone knows is coming, at least the adults do), the depth of the symbolism here is so well and reverently done (plus the fact that Edmund's prior deception is so well depicted on screen by the young actor who portrays him) that one truly comprehends the Christian messages of laying one's life for one's friends, not to mention the weight of having someone else pay the price for our wrongdoings.

And then there are the battle scenes. Very Lord-of-the-Rings-ish, except for one difference: Not a single moment of blood, gore, or overt violence. I must give the cinematographers kudos for this. They do a great job of breaking the story of the "written for kids" limitation, while still keeping the onscreen depictions of the battle family friendly without being watered down.

There are some very funny one-liners in this movie, some directly from the book, and some added (though, again, the added material is so faithful, one forgets wher the book ends and the screenplay begins). Susan's comment about the "Adam's flesh and Adam's bone" prophecy not rhyming is a hoot. Then there's a funny punch by Lucy who, after a visit from Father Christmas, tells Peter "I told you he was real!".

I could go on and on. But I'd only be giving some of the minor surprises away. Suffice it to say that the anticipation is well deserved. This movie truly and faithfully keeps to the book, in both letter and spirit. Not a single stroke of Lewis' pen is compromised, and the few items of dramatic license that deaprt from the book are so unnoticeable that you think they were intended to be that way in the first place. In fact, I didn't even notice until the next morning. The moral themes of the book remain intact, and the casting only serves to add to the depth of the written story. This, truly, is the way CS Lewis would have done it, in every detail.

OH, btw, after the credits start rolling, stay in the theater. There's a cute scene with Lucy and the Professor that is inserted between a few of the credit rolls.

Oh, and parents, this film is suitable for all ages from, I'd say, 6 and up. Any younger than that, and I don't think they'll have any comprehension of the story. It's appropriate for ages 6 to 166. Take the whole family. You won't be disappointed.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There's nothing to "discourage". The organization that puts it on doesn't represent itself to be affiliated with any of the tourist destinations it patronizes. Individuals visiting a theme park are perfectly permissible, and so long as they don't violate the rules of the park, there's nothing that the park opertors can or should do.

My local grocery store doesn't "discourage" gays from shopping there. I don't expect them to, and I'll continue to shop there.

Again, this is totally off-topic. No need to discuss it here in any more depth.

7. buckster75

buckster75 Member

they claim entertainment for family and yet these links are on their site (one is dead though. the point remains)

Sponsored Links Advertisement

Gay Day at Disney World Orlando, FL
    Vacation packages to Orlando Gay Day at Walt Disney World. We can customize a package to fit your budget. We are a full service 100% gay-owned and operated travel agency.

Hotel near Gay Days at Disney World
    Stay at the Crowne Plaza Universal Orlando in downtown Olrando. Official Site. Convenient location near the Epcot's Flower and Garden Festival. Book online for Low Internet rates guaranteed.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

How many times do I have to say it? This exact thing is being discussed in another thread.

The link you're referring to is a third party rotating link managed by Yahoo. Note the disclaimer. It's not a Disney sponsored or provided link. I noted elsewhere that there's an ad for ancestry.com as well. Does that mean Disney is affiliated with Ancestry.com? No.

Now, please for the upteenth time, please do not hijack thie thread, especially when all this is already being discussed elsewhere.

9. buckster75

buckster75 Member

but they control content of their web site.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think you're stretch a bit to seek condemnation. Again, please take the topic elsewhere. I'm getting frustrated that you won't respect my request to refrain from this thread being hijacked. In fact, your disrespect bothers me.

Plus, you're cutting into my naptime. [​IMG]

11. buckster75

buckster75 Member

If the people who make the show can not be discused in a thread about the show.....?

Then just about every thread ever put on this site has been hijacked.

12. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Buckster,

It has come to my attention, through discussions that I have had with John on every thread, that he doesn't want any facts, because it gets in the way of him standing with a foot on each side. Narnia should be off limits to Christian, as well as star wars and others because of the beliefs of the people involved with the production. This is the battle cry of the new age church- "Can't we just all get along?" Jesus says no.

If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

13. natters

natters New Member

Boanerges,

I have had many discussions with John. It is not that he doesn't want any facts (quite the opposite, in fact), but rather he (like me) has a problem when people try to legalistically take over the roll of someone else's conscience.

For those that don't want to see Narnia for whatever reason, simply don't go. Stay home and read Romans 14 instead.

14. Brice

Brice New Member

Buckster,

It has come to my attention, through discussions that I have had with John on every thread, that he doesn't want any facts, because it gets in the way of him standing with a foot on each side. Narnia should be off limits to Christian, as well as star wars and others because of the beliefs of the people involved with the production. This is the battle cry of the new age church- "Can't we just all get along?" Jesus says no.

If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Where do you shop? I would imagine you contribute to false beliefs everyday of your life (with your money). Do you avoid every company in the world that has beliefs contrary to your beliefs or do you just choose which companies you don’t like and then disparage people? I would use caution when throwing accusations at people. So far in this thread some have questioned C.S. Lewis’ salvation and called into question another Christians walk with Christ. Needless to say these accusations have yet to be backed up with facts and these are the Christians that are closer to God (or so the implication is made).

15. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Actually, Lewis was a member of the Church of England, or the Anglican church. This is the Episcopal church here in the U.S. </font>[/QUOTE]As Robin Williams so aptly put it, "Same religion...less guilt."

As least they are faith alone (I hope).

16. cojosh

cojosh New Member

*************Where do you shop? I would imagine you contribute to false beliefs everyday of your life (with your money). Do you avoid every company in the world that has beliefs contrary to your beliefs.............**************

This is true. It would be impossible(or insane) to separate ourselves from the world to the point that we could not even step outside. I believe one thing that should be considered is the "goal" behind each choice behind our actions.

For example:

I'm anti-abortion, most Catholics are anti-abortion. I'm anti-Catholicism also, but I would not have a problem attending an anti-abortion ralley with Catholics. Why? I believe that since our goals are alike in that we both want to speak out against abortion, that there is nothing wrong with attending a ralley together.
    Now, I'm going to start being ecumenical, but I'm going to be realistic.

I have had two jobs where the supervisor was a practicing homosexual. I'm anti-homosexuality, but when we are on the job we had the same goals concerning our duty to the employer. Therefore, it wasn't wrong for me to work beside that person. It would be wrong of me to support or wink at their lifestyle.

Walden Productions and Disney didn't get married or are not planning on merging. They're simply working on Narnia together. It's a common goal, and IMO not a bad one. If Christians would support this, maybe more decent films may be produced.

I know this is off subject. Please forgive.

17. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

The movie was absolutely AWESOME. Incredibly realistic every step of the way.

I saw Christ in numerous places.

I highly recommend this movie.

18. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

It's great that it will tie with the compleate Harry Potter Series, but how will the rest of the movies clear up the disconnectedness in the series? They will be very recognizable for the critics in the film version

19. nate

nate New Member

This movie is awesome just got back. I would give it an A+, Two thumbs up, 5 outa 5. No seriously the Christian allegories of this movie are increditble. Definetly a must see. C.S. Lewis was very talented.

20. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I loved it as well