1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I've had about enough!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by EdSutton, Apr 1, 2009.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

An Open notice to all on the Baptist Board, from AndrewT and all the Administrators and Moderators to the newest member.

I've had about enough!

And I am saddened by this action that I shall be taking. :tear:

I'm sick and tired of getting "kicked off log" between posts, virtually every time I get on here, and having to log in time and again. I will henceforth be posting far less often, than in the past. There is simply no good reason for the format to kick one off in a few minutes, as it often takes several minutes to compose a post, or to read posts, and deciding whether or not to respond to a post.

I am aware that I could click the "Remember Me?" bit, but I have absolutely no intention of doing so, hence leaving any "cookies" floating in the nether world of cyberspace, when such are not, in any manner, warranted. I have posted here on the BB for more than 3 years, with more than 8K posts, without ever having to log-on multiple times, at a sitting, and may have logged on a grand total of two dozen times if my memory serves, and this mostly during my first few days around, prior to this new format. I had two hospitalizations, one of which lasted a full week, hence I was not able to post at all, without being "kicked off log" and I have previously completely shut down the computer while being away for four to six days, more than one time, and upon returning, re-started the computer, and merely "clicked on 'the Baptist Board'" to be greeted with a "Welcome, EdSutton!" response. (I can't remember whether or not I had to 'log on' after the recent ice storm in KY where all our power was off for nearly 12 days.) In fact, even while composing this post, I have been 'kicked off' again, and two times in about 20 min.

And if I do attempt to get back on log, after composing a post, it will not 'take' when I log-in' at the top of the page, and I have to open a new tab, sign-in, and then thankfully, I can actually 'slash and glue' what I just composed, to the new page (the one good thing about the new format, that I have seen, is that you can actually copy what you have composed, before posting) without losing it, and then posting it. However, that one improvement does not make up for the huge step backward, IMO.

Sorry, there is simply no good reason for this "downgrade" for it is certainly not any overall upgrade, IMO. :(

FTR, I will also post this same notice in at least one other forum that I often post in, simply because some of those who are not Baptists actually do follow the rules, and do not attempt to post in "Baptist Only" areas.

Ed

2. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I'm not having this problem.

As far as the cookies go, there is nothing to worry about with them. All that cookie does is store variables. Web technology is stateless, the only way the site knows who you are is to store a cookie on your computer, so when you return you can be identified. Even if you do not check the box, you will have a cookie. The only difference is where it is stored and the length of time. The site is either PHPBB or another freeware forum distribution. The cookies on these are not malicious in any way.

But it's up to you

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I also don't have the problem but do have it at church where I don't usually mark "remember me" - but started doing that now. I just at the end of my session, go to (in mozilla) "tools" then 'clear private data" which seems to clear cookies and passwords (since it's a shared computer).

My only other thought would be to open a clipboard or a word processing program, type your answer in there then c&p it into your response. I try to do that with long responses anyway.

4. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I have this problem too.

It logs me out even as I am posting. I just make sure I copy my entire post so I can paste it if needed. I do that on any discussion board.

Further, even when I click "Remember Me" it does not. I have to log in every time I come here.

Still, I consider it only a minor aggravation.

I figure a lot of it is due to the service provider. BaptistBoard is the service recipient; they probably use the service as-is. I figure the service provider decided to pander to the advertisers in making posters logged out more; it means more of their ads get viewed. I figure BaptistBoard can do little about this.

5. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

If you use Firefox you can set it to automatically clear your private data each time you close the browser.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ooh! Thanks!

I also just found a Firefox add-on that might be helpful here - it's called Lazarus. Look into it.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I've never had any problem (except when the server was down completely).
    But I use firefox. Perhaps that is what makes the difference; I don't know. I am not a computer geek.

8. Martin Luther

Martin Luther New Member

I have had that same problem, if you are not active for awhile it will log you off.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Ed, I've never had the problems you outlined.

Maybe you need to check your browser or something of that nature.

10. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I had a computer tear up, so right now I am using a real old computer with windows 98, and even with that old thing I am not having any problems with this site. The computer on the other hand is way over matched in this day and age of the Internet.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Don't dis 98 computers! I have one (but got a "new" '01 Mac for Christmas so now my son uses the 98) and I never had problems either.

12. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Yeah, I reformatted the old thing and it is hanging in there. My big problem is I am having trouble opening up my fantasy baseball team. That is not acceptable. :laugh:

13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I use Internet Explorer and I have not experienced any problems at all. I stay logged on here 24/7 and it has never caused any problems.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why is this in the other christian denominations forum?

15. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Good things happen to nice people!

By the way. You are not on a local PTA board are you?:smilewinkgrin:

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Try updating to Internet Explorer 8.0 It works much faster.

17. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Regarding the new website, or server, or whatever its called....I cant find the "find all posts" place like the other website had. I used to use it to find all my posts, since sometimes I forget what forum I posted something in, and I want see if there were any responses.

Is the "find all posts" thing gone now?

:godisgood:

#17 Alive in Christ, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2009
  18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Go to "User CP" in the yellow bar above and you will see all of your subscribed threads with recent responses listed there. You can then go to the bottom of the list and click on "View All Subscribed Threads" to see everything you've responded to or subscribed to.

19. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Ann,

When I go there its empty. It says "no subscribed threads listed" or something like that.

Yet, I know for a fact that I have posted on this new site...I was there when I did it! :wavey:

I dont know anything about "subscribing" to a thread...I just post on it.

Why couldnt we have just stayed on the other website???

:godisgood:

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - Then you need to change your settings to subscribe to threads you post to. Let me see the steps to do that.....