1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jack Chick tracks

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by AF Guy N Paradise, May 17, 2004.

1. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aloha,

I have seen Jack Chick tracks mentioned a little in here, but I was not even sure what they were until I saw one and then I remembered that I have seen many of them in bathrooms, phone booths, and many other places.

Most of the comments I have seen about him in here has been negative. I am sure because he is KJVP. His site even answers a question about Can one read the NIV and still be saved and he states clearly that no certain Bible version leads to salvation.

So, what is so bad about him and these tracks. I have read some and they seem ok for the most part. Any feedback appreciated. Mahalo!

John

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I like the tract "This Was Your Life." Also, their offering at Easter-time "The Empty Tomb" is good. There are several that I personally wouldn't hand out.

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I liked the Chick tracks when I first started reading them back in the 70's. "This Was Your Life" was an outstanding track and several others were quite good. I became more and more disillusioned with them as time passed because it seemed they left their first love of presenting the gospel and became more and more concentrated on anti-Catholicism. I don't mind at all that they pointed out the errors of Roman Catholicism but, it seemd to me, that they were doing it in a very mean spirited way and not in a caring way. All Roman Catholics were drawn with evil snarls on their faces when they talked. It was presented as a long time world wide conspiracy of evil and that they were all "in on it".

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

There are a number of the Chick tracks that are anti-whatever. There is an anti-Morman, an anti-Jehova's witness, an anti evolution, and quite a few more. I enjoy reading these tracts. They are easy to read and you can get young people to read them but they are very simplistic. I have a 12 year old son who loves to pass out tracts but I have had to work with him on when it is appropriate. I don't want to limit the spirit of God or quench my son's fire but there are times when a tract can drive people from the Lord instead of drawing them to him (there are also times he can get away with it because he is a kid and I don't mind him using that)

I had an employee once who was LDS. Someone (not me) kept leaving the anti Mormon chick tracts around his work area. These were offensive to him and did not draw him to Christ. If someone is serious about what they believe a tract alone is not going to call them to Christ be they Mormon, Catholic, or whatever.

5. Ronald

Ronald New Member

I think a lot of people get offended when Jack Chick prints anti Mormon, Anti Catholic and Anti JW tracts. But WHY should evangelicals be offended? Think for a minute. These three religious movements preach a "false gospel" and the gullible people who are ensnared in these religious bodies will wind up in hell fire, if SOMEBODY doesn't try to reach them.

I've personally watched over the years Pat Robinson and Paul Crouch have Catholic priests and even Mother Angelica on their programs. When evangelical TV viewers see these ministers accepting these false teachers on their broadcast, they think, "oh they are Christians to, but they just look at things a little differently." Now I ask you, did Paul say there was more than one gospel to trust in? You tell me?

6. Baptistgal

Baptistgal New Member

I just think they're too long. I think alot of people, myself included, don't want to go through all the comic book style pages to figure out what the whole thing is about. I like the simple ones that present the gospel message in a straightforward style that gets down to the business of how to be saved.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

He's not KJVP. He's KJVO, past the point of version idolatry and heresy.

Many on this board have criticized some well-known preachers for preaching false Gospels. A prevailing comment is that, even when these men preach a good amount of sound doctrine, they should be avoided anyway, because, they say, the way false doctrine spreads is by sandwiching it between items of sound doctrine.

Yet, when it comes to Jack Chick, many unfortunately have no problem excusing his blatently false doctrines in exchange for some "good stuff" of his.

Isn't that somewhat hypocritical?

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMHO, Chick tracts are the product of bitter, hateful vendetta and are filled with mis-information. While some were designed to share the Gospel - which is great - most that have come out since the initial have been sensationalized and are grotesquely illustrated.

It is so very sad that many ifb'ers are getting their THEOLOGY from reading this tripe.

I would not consider using them or recommending them. There are so many GREAT tracts (I use tracts regularly and know many people who have been saved after reading them).

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree with Dr. Bob! Chick tracts are sensationalized and have wrong info sometimes. Their tracts on the occult are terrible -- at least the ones I've seen.

10. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

I use the tracts. They are easy to read and understand, despite their cartoon approach. Catholics, Mormons, JW's, Muslims and Jews will likely be offended by them. I have heard of Catholics being saved by them. Chick tracts are heavily bought and sold by enthusiasts and detractors alike on ebay.
    Jack Chick also publishes magazine-style comics and the only one I really like is "King Of Kings," which gives an overview of the OT, NT and the life of Christ. You really have to be careful though, he has a comic-mag that charges the Catholic church with the assassination of Abraham Lincoln!! Historical research (not me)has cast reasonable doubt on his assertions.
    Chick is "KJV-only" because he feels all others versions are corrupt and perverted. I myself am KJV-only but this is not the forum to discuss "KJV-only."
    I would stick to the very general titles for general use. After all, you'll catch more with honey than vinegar.
    [​IMG]

11. IdahoLabs

IdahoLabs New Member

AMEN! Very very well said.

I've used Chick tracts...the message is good, the comic book style attracts folks...whether they want to read it or not! LOL. A few of the tracts are a little creepy though - one of the Halloween ones; I think it's called "Boo" is downright scary. While I recognize the fact that Halloween is evil and all...I really don't like being scared very much.

A few of the newer Chick tracts are a little depressing - when the 'subject' of the tract ends up refusing to trust Christ and goes to Hell in every one of the last 10 or so tracts...it is depressing. I wish a few of the cartoon characters would make the right choice. *sigh*