1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jacob Deshazer Born Nov.15 1912; died Mar.15 2008

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Ps104_33, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

A great story and a great man.

Graduated from Madras High School, Madras, Oregon in 1931. Enlisted on February 26, 1940 at Fort McDowell, California. Attended Bombardier and Airplane Mechanics Schools. Was captured by the Japanese after the Tokyo Raid and spent 40 months as a prisoner of war. Released on August 20, 1945 and separated from the service on October 15, 1945. Graduated Seattle Pacific College, Seattle, Washington, on June 7, 1948 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in preparation for a life as a missionary. After completion of his missionary training, he returned to Japan on December 28, 1948 to fulfill the vision he had while a prisoner. Decorations include the Distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart, and the Chinese Breast Order of Yung Hui.
    Cpl. Jacob DeShazer, United States Army Air Corps, was a bombardier on the historic mission April 18, 1942 in which Gen. Jimmy Doolittle and his crew attacked Tokyo and turned the tide of the Pacific war. For the next three years, he paid a heavy price for his bravery as the Japanese beat, tortured and starved him as a "war criminal."
    Why then did DeShazer, who spoke at Pearl Harbor Memorial Chapel May 18, spend the next 30 years of his life as a Methodist missionary in Japan?
    The courage of Gen. Doolittle and his Raiders -- who did not expect to survive the bombing raid over Japan -- is vividly depicted in the motion picture "Pearl Harbor," which premiered May 21 on the flight deck of the USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74). DeShazer, 88, and his wife Florence were in Pearl Harbor for the premiere and to share how that "Date of Infamy" led to a chain of events that changed their lives.
    DeShazer was subjected to unbelievable cruelty, including being forced to watch helplessly while one of his friends died of slow starvation. "My hatred for the enemy nearly drove me crazy," he said. "My thoughts turned toward what I had heard about Christianity changing hatred between human beings into real brotherly love. I begged my captors to get me a Bible, and when the emperor of Japan told them to treat us better, I got one."

http://www.doolittleraider.com/raiders/deshazer.htm

2. Yankee candle

Yankee candle New Member

Phenomenal story

The story of Jake DeShazer is one of the greatest testimonies of modern times. How this man, who once dropped the bombs on Tokyo and suffered so greatly at the hands of the Japanese later had one brief contact with the man who dropped the bombs on Pearl Harbor, Mitsuo Fuchida, which led to Fichida's conversion to Christ...is just remarkable. Thank God for that dear man.

It is a story largely unfamiliar to this generation but it needs be told from the pulpit all over the land.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

4. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Wow. That is a great story! I had never heard of this man either.
    I had heard that the Japanese Commander of the Pearl Harbor atack had later gotten saved, but did not hear how that had come about.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DeShazer retired from the field in 1978 just three years before we came over in 1981. He was a great missionary, and I wish I could have met him!

Fuchida turned out to be a greatly used evangelist to his people. There is a good biography of him too in English, God's Samurai by Gordon Prange.

6. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Fantastic testimony! Praise God for his saints and their obediance to him!

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. billwald

billwald New Member

It is this sort of anecdotal evidence that demonstrates the truth of the Christian religion, not the goofy theological arguments.