1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

James 2:18

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jesus is Lord, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

"...Shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works." (James 2:18 KJV)

I have a German Version of the Bible which says that the TR reads:
    "...Show me your faith by your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." (James 2:18 SV2000)

So the KJV follows the MT, not the TR.

Now my question is... do you see any sense in the TR reading?

2. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Speculation on my part, but the KJV seems to say (rightly, in my view), that there were some who had faith, but they were not "practicing what they preached", that is, they were not acting out their alleged faith. My favorite version agrees ;) , "But someone will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works."(NKJV). Perhaps James is saying where he writes, "Show me your faith without your works", he's saying that they're demonstrating their faith, by not working, hence it is not true faith. I'm not dogmatic about this, it's just my "take". :D

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I can show you my faith by my LACK of works:

I'm not circumcised, I don't keep the Seventh Day, I don't keep the dietary Law of Moses, etc...

This is my proof that I am trusting Christ and not Moses.

HankD

4. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Yes, I can show you my faith by my LACK of works:

I'm not circumcised, I don't keep the Seventh Day, I don't keep the dietary Law of Moses, etc...

This is my proof that I am trusting Christ and not Moses.

HankD
    </font>[/QUOTE]How is that proof? I have an atheist friend that is not circumcised, doesn't keep the Seventh Day, doesn't keep the dietary Law of Moses, etc. either.

Pastor KevinR, I agree with those statements. I think James is saying that "faith without works is dead". [​IMG]

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Except that has nothing to do with what James is saying. Stephanus of 1550 had "ek" for both phrases (meaning "by"). Scrivener's 1894 has xoris (apart from or without) which is what it should be.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK I should have said I can demonstrate my faith by my lack of "moses" type works when I keep His (Christ') commandments, "love one another" as opposed to don't touch, eat, etc...

HankD

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you notice the Textus Receptus is much longer than the UBS4 or NA27 text. It is the text with a number of textual variants added.

In this case I think the RSV does the best job of translation, "But some one will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith."

The verb is in the future tense, "But some will..."

8. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Hank, Galatians addresses what you bring up...