1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

James Dobson's Political Surrender

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, May 15, 2009.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't care the religion, conservative, liberal, tree loving, witch brewing, I don't want it mixed with my government.

2. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

The purpose of the religious freedom battle was to keep Government from establishing a state religion, like the Church of England. There was not any intent to keep religion and religious beliefs out of government, nor to keep religion (remember at the time, religion in this new nation equated to Christianity) from influencing government. The same is true of the religious liberty guarantees in the US Constitution. Keep the Government out of religion, not the reverse.:BangHead:

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right. But the opposite is also dangerous, when a religious body gains too much influence on a government, or actually controls the government very bad things also begin to happen. As Jefferson said in his letter to the Danbury Association we need to maintain a "wall of separation".

In other words I take the position that that government and religious institutions are to be kept separate and uncontrolled by each other. When one controls the other bad things happey and history bears me out on this one.

Have a blessed day.