1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured JC pennys Now 'officially" A gay friendly Company!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

There are SO many places like this, ones we don't even know yet still buy products from, that I wonder if it's possible.

Maybe we should just go with the ones we know of?

I'm curious as to whether or not a boycott of this nature ever worked. Generally, they just seem to be free advertising for the company.

Are there any examples over the last 20 years of a boycott for Christian purposes that actually worked?

I hate to say this is a matter of Christian liberty. If see know something is wrong and we knowingly support it, how can that be right?

Maybe this is part of what is included about Christians not being able to buy/sell towards the end. If one isn't self sufficient on their own land, etc., where CAN you do business?

Even paying our taxes supports ethics that go against Christianity, ie tax funded abortions, schools/colleges that teach against intelligent design, support of alternative lifestyles as normal, teach that marriage/love isn't needed for a couple, etc..

Where does it stop and start? Do we obey the government by paying our taxes, yet not shop at places that support non-Christian behavior? Do we give up and say "we can't do anything," especially when it appears we really can't?

Instead of voting for a Godly leader for this nation, do we vote for one candidate who is a Mormon over one who has even worse values because the third Christian candidate has little support and we want the lesser of two evils to win?

Have we gone downhill so much because Christians have allowed it to happen by not standing for their values, or are Christians expected to take this as a type of spiritual persecution and accept it quietly and meekly while still verbally proclaiming Christ?

What did Christians who were the minority in their countries do during Biblical times? Do we know? Is that our example? I don't know. I haven't studied enough to know. Why aren't our pastors teaching us how to live? Isn't that the point of having a pastor?

2. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

It has become nearly impossible to AVOID companies that support gay rights, and contribute to their cause. For example: Who is your telephone provider? If you answer AT&T or Verizon you are contributing to the gay movement. Ever eat at McDonald's, Olive Garden, Applebee's or Red Lobster? You are contributing to the gay movement. Shopping at JCP isn't the only place ....how about not only Home Depot but Best Buy, Sears, Walgreens or Amazon.com? Do you take Bayer aspirin? Yup they too support the gay movement. Do you ever fly with an airline? Most of them support the gay movement. Who do you have your auto/home/health/life insuance with? Cigna, Allstate, State Farm, Progressive...ALL support the gay movement. Do you drink Coca-Cola products? Do you drive a Ford product? How about who provides your cable television services? Comcast and Time Warner both support the gay movement, as does Viacom who provides such programming at TVLand, Nickelodeon and other children's programming. Ever purchase Gerber products? Yes, they too support the gay movement. If the name G.E. or General Electric is on any of your appliances you have supported the gay movement. Ever shipped a package with UPS, then you've contributed to the gay movement.

This is just a small portion of corporations who contribute, sometimes very large sums...AT&T is one of the top 50 contributors to the gay movement...that we patronize, not knowing our dollars go to support the gay movement. So what is the answer here? Do we completely cut ourselves off from these places or do we adopt a different line?

3. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

I could not have stated it any better. Good post.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and we have a winner!

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A boycott is a display of power, particularly economic power. Boycotts can work, but it takes a large enough group that is willing to draw a line at a certain point to make the ones who are overstepping the bounds of their negative and immoral influences on society to make a significant difference.

There indeed are moral lines that exist iin a civil society which cannot be crossed, ...believe it or not...!!! For instance, you wouldn’t see a national company promoting sex with children, adultery or polygamy to sell its products, the fact that there are people who engage in those types of sexual acts and it is a nation of free speech makes no difference; it would be economic suicide to advertise that way.

The way moral values in our society deteriorate is that the line is constantly pushed by those who wish promote acceptance of their values until people become so accustomed to it that they can take it a little further. The line just keeps being pushed further back. All one has to do is take note how sex on television has progressed. 40 years ago an advertisement promoting gay lifestyles and approval gay family units would have been economic suicide, but not today! Why? Well, part of the problem is we have Christians who won’t stand up and be a man of God and call a sin a sin no less refuse to take even the smallest step such as take their business elsewhere.

Rather they ask things like “what’s the connection” as if it doesn’t exist! They say, well, “if we can’t boycott ALL the companies that promote immoral values against our beliefs then we shouldn’t boycott any”. I guess no one has heard of the perfectionist fallacy, or considered the phrase about throwing out the baby with the bathwater?!? With reasoning like that you will get exactly what your logic brings you, an ever moving line moving further away from your values, …unopposed. Why not just throw out the welcoming mat?!? :rolleyes:

Anyone that does not see an agenda at work here is in complete denial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOiQYQsfPqg

Listen to them gloat. All one has to do is listen to JC Penny’s CEO speak for 10 seconds to see why this is happening. He is using the stage made available to him to promote his lifestyle and beliefs and anyone who would go about claiming it is “just” about marketing, well, that is like you saying “you only read Playboy for the articles”. You’d have to be an idiot to really believe that and buy into such nonsense!

#25 Benjamin, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2012
  6. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

They can gloat all they want....still doesn't make it right and in the end they still lose. I feel my time and energies are better spent working with the gay people I know directly, winning them to the Lord rather than worrying about a JC Penney commercial.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a difference between companies that make a token donation to a gay rights organization and companies that overtly promote homosexuality. JC Penney is going out of their way to promote homosexuality. They have color magazine ads showing lesbian couples hugging and gay men with their arms around each other frolicking with children. These ads come in the Sunday newspaper to millions of homes. Yes, you cannot AVOID this.

What to do? Completely cut ourselves off from those companies that overtly promote gays with their advertising and in-store signages. That's where I draw the line. If AT&T starts showing TV ads where gay singles meet up via text messaging using their cell phone service they would be on my boycott list.

#27 InTheLight, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2012
  8. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

See, I'm just the opposite. I worry more about the companies who do what they do quietly, subversively, in the background. It's the sneaky ones who can do a lot more damage. Companies like JCP draw the heat by blatantly putting out a commercial that shows two gay guys playing with a kid to draw the heat of Conservative Christianity and then companies like AT&T work quietly in the background lobbying for gay marriage, gay adoption rights, etc. While JCP is out there keeping your attention, companies like AT&T are pushing through the gay agenda.

9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I refuse to use the word "gay" for homosexuality. It is a corruption of the word.

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All activities of companies should be scrutinized. In the case of those companies in stealth mode, the amount of money being donated and where it is going should be investigated. A lot of these companies give a token amount to gay causes just to be able to say they've done something. If AT&T is giving lots of money I would re-examine whether or not I'd do business with them.

JC Penney is in our faces with their support of gays. In that case, I'm going to get out of their stores. It's too bad because they have some good products at reasonable prices, esp. in housewares and linens.

In the last gubernatorial race here in Minnesota, retail giant Target Stores donated $150,000 to Republican candidate Tom Emmer. Tom Emmer happens to be friends with a member of a Christian rock band, one member of the band made some disparaging remarks about gays. Of course this was outrageous to gays/lesbians/bis and caused a big brouhaha here in the Twin Cities. End result is that Target apologized and donated $500,000 to local GLBT causes and is a sponsor of the Gay Pride parade here in Minneapolis. I don't shop at Target anymore.

And BTW, Target continues to donate money to Republican politicians opposed to same sex marriage. Of course that money is less than money donated to GLBT causes, but it just goes to show that these corporations donate money just to keep all their bases covered.

11. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

I use it here because of the rules of the board...

12. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering Microsoft and Apple's gay friendly support it makes this online discussion kind of silly.

13. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Then you'd better stop doing business with AT&T because they are among the top 50 contributors to the gay movement.

The top 10??
    LEVIS
    American Apparel
    Nike
    Microsoft
    American Airlines
    Apple
    Google
    Starbucks
    Boeing
    IBM

Guess y'all better give up your jeans, flying, computers, coffee.....I guess we won't be seeing any of you on the BB anymore. See, it's not so easy when it really inconveniences you.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I'd have to investigate their corporate culture to really determine the level of their support. Anyone can give money, but how committed are they to the cause?

But I see your point.

Could you supply a link to this list?

There are also companies that are reviled by the gay rights groups. Should we support these companies, or not?

Chick-fil-A
    Coors Beer
    Exxon Mobil

15. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Top 10 Corporate Sponsors

16. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

17. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

The Timothy Plan
    This was one of the most detailed lists...not only that they support the gay movement but HOW they support it and what they do.

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

To me, there IS indeed a big difference between saying that we will support gays/lesbians to have place to shop and spend their monies, to saying their lifestyles exactly same in society to the Hetrosexuals!

penneys crossed that line...

has google/Microsoft made yet 'gay friendly/only" browser/software?

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I was just making a general statement, not directed at you.

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So now where am I going to buy jeans? Levi's fit me fairly well, but typically cost $35 - $40. I found JC Penney's brand, Arizona, also fit me well and can be had for less than $20. Now what do I do?