1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Jeb Bush May Be One Bush Too Many for Rank-and-File Iowa G.O.P.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by kyredneck, Mar 6, 2015.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GOOD! Go away Jeb, just go away!

"Sheryl McDonald, a retiree, voted for both Presidents Bush. “But I’m finding out they did some things we got stuck with,” she said. “I do not want to see Jeb Bush run,” she added. “He turns me off."

Scarcely anyone at a meeting of the Green County Republican Party here in central Iowa recently had anything kind to say about Mr. Bush, the former Florida governor. They objected to his moderate stances on immigration and education standards. But they also complained matter-of-factly about fatigue with his family — especially after the presidency of George W. Bush, whom they blamed for a misguided war and big deficits

Another activist, John Thompson, a West Point graduate who served in Iraq, called it “a wasted war.” Jeb Bush, he said, was the last of the potential Republican candidates he would consider.....

.....Polls show stiff resistance to Mr. Bush so far in Iowa. More than one in four likely Republican caucus goers said they would “definitely not support Bush,” a Quinnipiac University poll found last week. Forty percent had an unfavorable opinion of Mr. Bush, with 41 percent favorable — the worst ratio of any potential candidate except Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey......"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/06/u...-fatigue-with-his-family-has-set-in.html?_r=0

This is GREAT NEWS! Maybe we're not doomed/damned to have another neocon after all!

#1 kyredneck, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  2. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I'm at the point where I think the best election method now is to have a chimpanzee, a gorilla, and a spider monkey compete in an American Idol style competition with people calling in to vote. The winning creature (for this example let's use the chimp) is then blindfolded, spun around ten times, and made to point at a map of the US. Wherever the chimp points, the chimp is then flown over that location and pushed out of the plane. He parachutes down and the first person he touches is the President.

Could it really be worse than what we have now?

3. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bush 1 was one too many Bush. Read my lips.

4. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The idea is not to have two terrible candidates for President as we have since 1992 and being forced to vote for the lesser of two evils. The idea is to have two candidates that you would be proud to vote for either.

5. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Yeah, but we keep getting the same style candidates. The GOP keeps bringing up older rich white males. The Democrats keep bringing up slightly younger rich mostly-white mostly males.

I'd rather see a Presidential candidate who in the last couple years had lived paycheck to paycheck than one who hasn't worked a private sector job in the last three decades, or who thought working for the private sector was being "behind enemy lines."

6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be cruel to the chimp.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Problem is - it takes lots of money to run for President.

8. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

No doubt...the problem is we're currently stuck with the smallest minority of the economic population representing the entirety of the population.

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

He really is not a neocon, whatever that is. He is simply his father's son except I expect he is more of a Conservative than his father. I have two problems with Jeb Bush, one is his fault the other is not.

First: I disagree with his states goal to give amnesty to the illegals in this country. I understand in part why he is doing it . His Mexican wife apparently got his head on straight years ago when he went to Mexico but he needs to put this country first and giving amnesty to millions of illegals from Mexico is not doing that.

Second: He can't help being a Bush, no more than you can help being a Ky redneck. But three Bushes is a sad reflection on the country. We haven't degraded to a monarchy yet but this comes awful close and Jeb has a son in politics!

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't know what it is how do you know he's not one?

11. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

For everyone's edification on the neocon issue:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism
    Yes, it's from wikipedia, but it actually appears to be a solid article. Don't quote it in an academic paper, but it would help this discussion.

By the by, I'm not sure just how closely Jeb falls into the neocon camp. He's always seemed a bit distant from GWB and GHWB, from what I can tell. He may be...I'm not incredibly familiar with his work. I've got more like a 30,000 foot view of his political career.

Plus, he's in Florida, so some moderation may have occurred, if not outright liberalization. My friend, a Republican for many years, moved from north Georgia to Orlando for a year and came back quite liberal. It can happen.

#11 PreachTony, Mar 6, 2015
  12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeb Bush, neoconservative

"....I am my own man – and my views are shaped by my own thinking and own experiences.” .....Curious then that the foreign policy team that Jeb announced today is not just very much George W. Bush’s, but includes two of the most controversial figures from invasion of Iraq, former Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz and former National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley. Short of including Dick Cheney, this is the strongest possible indication that Bush is embracing his brother’s foreign policy. What’s up with that?..."

"Jeb Bush was a signatory of the neoconservative, The Project for the New American Century “Statement of Principles”...."

"...The PNAC's stated goal was "to promote American global leadership".[3] The organization advocated the view that "American leadership is good both for America and for the world," and sought to build support for "a Reaganite policy of military strength and moral clarity",[4] referring to Ronald Reagan...."

As far as I'm concerned they are absolutely wrong in associating Reagan with their interventionist schemes to promote the military industrial complex that Eisenhower passionately warned us about. Reagan was no neocon. Jeb Bush is every whit a neocon, trying to pass himself off as not one.

#12 kyredneck, Mar 6, 2015
  13. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I saw that same article a few minutes after my last post. Again, I could only speak to my personal knowledge.

As to your last sentence about trying to pass himself off as something else, that sounds a lot like when Rand Paul was trying to ride Ron's coattails as a Libertarian. He couldn't do it, because he's simply not as Libertarian as Ron Paul.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has nothing to do with Florida or Orlando, of which I am from both.

#14 Revmitchell, Mar 6, 2015
  15. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Perhaps not...I just know he came back quite fond of liberal policies that he wasn't fond of when he left.

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'd like a POTUS that has actually had to work for a living, Rand Paul has done just that. Right now, he's my preference over them all.

17. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I'm didn't say Rand Paul was bad. He's just a Republican. There was an ill-fated attempt to court the Libertarians last election cycle by using his Dad has a prop. It didn't work.

I think Rand Paul would be a much better President than Bush, Clinton, Biden, and whoever else may run.

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: Good! We think alike (at least politically). :)

#18 kyredneck, Mar 6, 2015
  19. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You hillbilly refugee from Bloody Breathitt, I am glad you started this thread. Maybe it will keep you away from that still and safe for awhile!. If not safe at least sober.

20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the invert of a 'Yellow Dog Democrat'? A Hard Head Republican? Hard Shell Republican? Red Dog Republican? Whatever it is OR, it's you. Just as so many old timer Democrats refuse to see that their party has left them, it's no longer what they've imagined it to be, so it is with Hard Head Republicans like you. :)

Sad, but true.

[add]

....and for the umpteenth time, I don't even like corn likker...

#20 kyredneck, Mar 6, 2015