1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jeb bush: Nsa needs broader powers

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ATLANTA (AP) -- Republican presidential hopeful Jeb Bush said Tuesday that the government should have broad surveillance powers of Americans and private technology firms should cooperate better with intelligence agencies to help combat "evildoers."

At a national security forum in the early voting state of South Carolina, Bush put himself at odds with Republican congressional leaders who earlier this year voted to end the National Security Agency's bulk collection of phone records.

The former Florida governor said Congress should revisit its changes to the Patriot Act, and he dismissed concerns from civil libertarians who say the program violated citizens' constitutionally protected privacy rights.

"There's a place to find common ground between personal civil liberties and NSA doing its job," Bush said. "I think the balance has actually gone the wrong way."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-08-18-14-25-14

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Is this a problem?

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Bush maintained that the increased NSA surveillance powers are necessary to combat “evildoers” — presumably terrorists such as those who participated in the 9/11 attacks in 2001. In response to those attacks, Bush’s brother, President George W. Bush, signed the PATRIOT Act into law, which authorized a wide range of government surveillance activities.

With the passage of time, however, even the PATRIOT Act’s lead sponsor, Representative Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.), who introduced the act in the House on October 23, 2001, developed severe reservations about how that legislation has been applied.

“As the author of the Patriot Act, I am extremely troubled by the FBI’s interpretation of this legislation,” Sensenbrenner wrote to Attorney General Eric Holder on June 6, 2013. He continued: “The [FBI’s] broad application for phone records was made under the so-called business records provision of the Act. I do not believe the broadly drafted FISA [Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court] order is consistent with the requirements of the Patriot Act. Seizing phone records of millions of innocent people is excessive and un-American.”

Because of these reservations, Sensenbrenner introduced a bill called the USA Freedom Act on April 28, and posted a message about the act on his website, claiming that it would end the bulk collection of Americans’ communications records under Section 215 of the Patriot Act, and eliminate other abuses, as well.

The USA Freedom Act was passed by the House on May 13, the Senate on June 2, and signed into law that same day by President Obama. Obama’s haste in signing the bill was prompted by the fact that it extended key provisions of the PATRIOT Act that expired on June 1, until 2017. Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) opposed the act because he believed that trading a four-year extension of the PATRIOT Act’s intrusive powers for a very modest limitation of those powers was a poor exchange. (It still allows for the collection of bulk metadata, but by the phone companies instead of the government.)

Continue . . . http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/21430-jeb-bush-would-expand-nsa-spy-powers-at-expense-of-civil-liberties

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A friend of mine calls him "Hillary in a suit"

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

He is one of Bill Clinton's brothers from another mother so yeah I can see the family resemblance.