1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jeremiah 12:9

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Friend of God, May 21, 2008.

1. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can somebody please explain the meaning of Jeremiah 12:9 and the allusion to "the great speckled bird?" Thanks, Rob

Is my inheritance like a speckled bird of prey to me? Are the birds of prey against her on every side? Go, gather all the beasts of the field. Bring them to devour. Jeremiah 12:9 [NASB]

2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeremiah 12:9

Whether mine heritage is a bird of diverse colours to me? whether it is a bird died throughout? All beasts of the field, come ye, be ye gathered together; haste ye for to devour [1395 Wycliffe's Bible]

Mine heritage is unto me, as a speckled bird, a bird of diverse colours is upon it. Go hence, and gather all the beasts of the field together, that they may eat it up [1535 Coverdale's Bible]

Mine heritage is unto me, as a speckled bird, a bird of diverse colours is upon it. Come, & gather ye all the beasts of the field. Come that ye may eat it up [1540 Great Bible]

Shall mine heritage be unto me, as a bird of diverse colours? are not the birds about her, saying, Come, assemble all the beasts of the field, come to eat her? [1560 Geneva Bible]

Is not mine heritage unto me as a speckled bird? are not the birds around about against her? Come and gather ye together all the beasts of the field, come, that ye may eat it up [1568 Bishops' Bible]

Mine heritage is unto me as a speckled bird, the birds round about are against her; come ye, assemble all the beasts of the field, come to devour [KJV]

My heritage is to me like a ravenous beast, a hyena, the ravenous beasts around are against her; come ye, assemble all the beasts of the field, bring them to devour [1842 revision of the KJV]