1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jeremiah 29:11

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Shortandy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

You know this passage; you can probably quote it. But what does it really mean? Have we taken it out of context and abused it in our churches in recent years? Are we secular humanist in our approach to this passage?

Lets open the floor up for discussion and see.

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The verse is for a specific group of people--those in exile. It was intended to give the exiles hope that God had not forgotten them.

This is probably one of the most abused verses in the Bible, but I wouldn't say it's prone to secular humanist interpretation. It's a verse about God and God's plans, so I think that it is definitely more than secular.

3. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

The mindset of the secular humanist is to consume and enjoy. Those who take this passage out of context want to claim and apply this verse for their life because many in our churches are consumers thinking that God is going to give, give, give.

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Expository commentary by John Gill.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I love that verse. While I know it was given to a specific people at a specific time, I still think that God DOES have plans for each one of us - and gives us a hope and a future. We DO have a future with the Lord. He will not harm us but instead loves us and when we are living in God's will, we will prosper. Not necessarily in a physical sense but in a Spiritual sense.

6. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

I think most people feel like you do. But look at the context of the passage. Read the verses before it and contexualize. They were getting ready to go into captivity that was brought on by the hand of God. Sometimes God take us through the vally. Sometimes we go tot he wood shed to get to a blessing. I think many people in our churches have missed that as they read this verse.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And my thinking of the verse is wrong? God will not harm us. He has a plan for us. Is that wrong? I didn't say God won't chastise us - I will chastise my children - sometimes using spanking as a method of discipline but I still do not ever harm my children. God won't harm us either.

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ‘For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.
    Jeremiah 29:11 NASB95

Quotes of the OT used in the NT were sometimes taken out of context and used to support ideas unlike those of their original intent.

In this case a similar idea is presented in Romans.

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
    Romans 8:28 NASB95

Rob