1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jeremiah 48:10?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by servantssalute, Feb 4, 2003.

1. What are your ideas of the meaning behind the first part of Jeremiah 48:10?

Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, -- and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Thanks!

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrew word translated in the AV is "remiyah". It carries meanings of "treachery" through "deceitfulness, falsehood, guile, idleness, slackness or slothfulness."

Now, this list shows a number of choices for modern English translation - "lax" or "negligent"

NIV = "A curse on him who is lax in doing the Lord's work! A curse on him who keeps his sword from bloodshed!

NASB = "Cursed be the one who does the LORD'S work negligently, And cursed be the one who restrains his sword from blood.

The prophet is encouraging God's judgment (thru Israel) of Moab. "Get busy at the work and kill them all" would be the message.

3. I'm not saying that this isn't so, but don't you think that is a mighty big stretch to go from "deceitfulness" all the way to "slothfulness"?

Thanks for your comments!

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, Servant! It is not MY stretch. It is the meaning of the word in Hebrew.

Just like English, a single word might have 20 different possible meanings. When no "rule" applies, how do we find the best meaning for a word?

Context. So go through the possibilities and come up with WHAT the context is saying and which definition fits/explains it best.

Remember, the HEBREW is the authority, not any particular English translation. Don't fall into a trap of assuming your chosen version is the "right" choice of definition and all others are 'wrong' :eek:

5. I wasn't saying that is was "your stretch". [​IMG] And i see what you are saying.

Thanks again!