1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jerry Falwell Jr. Expects Trump to "Save the Country", Likens him to King David

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Mar 14, 2016.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “He’s perfectly suited to serve as the political leader, and I think that gives evangelicals comfort,” Falwell said. “That’s why a large majority of them are supporting him, and I think maybe after the country is saved and restored, perhaps evangelicals will start voting in traditional patterns again.”

“God called King David a man after God’s own heart even though he was an adulterer and a murderer,” Falwell said. “You have to choose the leader that would make the best king or president and not necessarily someone who would be a good pastor. We’re not voting for pastor-in-chief. It means sometimes we have to choose a person who has the qualities to lead and who can protect our country and bring us back to economic vitality, and it might not be the person we call when we need somebody to give us spiritual counsel.”

https://www.liberty.edu/champion/2016/03/falwell-speaks/

puke.gif

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saul comes to my mind; chosen but rejected.
    I wouldn't call Trump a man after God's own heart (does Trump even have one?)

Saul was:
    • the people's choice
    • morally conflicted
    • seemed to ask for God's guidance but ignored it
    • Did what seemed right in his own eyes (but I don't see Trump as fearing the people).
    Rob

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being theological liberal has been described as using scripture or the Bible to say what it doe not say. If this is a true description then I have to say that Falwell Jr. is being exceeding liberal in his very strange explanation of why he supports Trump. To compare Trump to David is really over the top. When David realized he had sinned he repented in the true sense of the word. From what Trump has said and demonstrated in his life I doubt he has every repented of anything, does not believe he has anything to repent from.

I bet there are many at Liberty who are astounded by Falwell's comments. I doubt they will speak out as they want to keep their jobs.

However not everyone connected with Liberty University is keeping quiet.

From: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ence-on-jerry-falwell-jr-s-trump-endorsement/

‘I’ve Held My Tongue’: Liberty University Board Member Breaks Silence on Jerry Falwell Jr.’s Trump Endorsement

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does Liberty have a drug-testing program? If not, they should.

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Falwell correctly states this is his personal choice and not an endorsement by Liberty University. However, as he is so closely associated with the university he has created a huge problem for Liberty. I cannot imagine how much damage Falwell has done to the image of Liberty University among Christians and even more damage in the eyes of the public.

Also, his stance will damage Christianity and make it harder to bring people to Christ whose belief that Christians are bigoted, ignorant and non-caring will be reinforced.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Lord have mercy Jesus. If I had a child up at Liberty, I'd immediately withdraw him. What is it with folks who have supposedly placed their faith in Jesus Christ continuing to put forth this picture of thinking that what ails this country is gonna be fixed by another sinful man?

Lord help us!

So you have a man running the largest Christian university in the world who apparently is completely ignoring the lessons of Israel and its Biblical history. Who does he believe Scripture showed to be doing the protecting and prospering of Israel? And when He, God, wasn't doing it, Israel was in ruins.

Yep. I could send my child to a secular university for this type of unGodly leadership.

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree. As this school, again, touts itself as the largest Christian university in the world, it will undoubtedly be seen as the picture for how Christians think. And when the President of the university has made it clear that he supports the type of things that a man like Donald Trump represents, it's sad.