1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jerry falwell

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by don 3426, Dec 24, 2004.

1. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Well said, Scarlett! Jesus never mocked people with infirmities. He was compassionate. Falwell has done a lot of good, but he has also been an embarassment at times.

2. DavidFWhite3

DavidFWhite3 New Member

He is the same man who encouraged his congrgation and his listeners in the late sixties to ignore Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He labled MLK a communist.

He is the same man who labeled Archbishop Desmond Tutu a fake, and stood by the aparthied regime in South Africa.

He is the same man who said,"Jesus was no sissy. He'd like nuclear weapons."

3. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

David,

Read the non-revised historical accounts of MLK! Almost everywhere he went, riots followed. If MLK did not have ties to the communist party, why was his FBI file not released at the 25 year mark, as the law provides?

Re nuclear weapons, ever read 2Pet 3:10? "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up."

Or how about, Rev 19:14 - And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
    15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
    16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
    17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;
    18 That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.
    19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.
    20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.
    21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

That sound like a sissy to you?

I do not like everything Falwell says or does either, but his contribution to Evangelical Christianity is really beyond question.

OH, the fact that I opposed MLK does not mean that I support racism though. Neither does Falwell.

4. DavidFWhite3

DavidFWhite3 New Member

JUst quoting the man.

I'll start an MLK thread on his birthday this Saturday, and rejoice on Monday that our nation honors the man.

No riot followed King's address to the nation in August of '63. And there is absolutely no reputable evidence to indicate King was a communist, but plenty to prove J. Edgar Hoover wanted to find anything he could to discredit the man.

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

My only complaint about Dr. Falwell, and my biggest complaint about MLK is that they were and are too political. I am called to be a pastor and I have strong political views, but I am a pastor first and a political activist second (or third, or fifteenth is probably more like it). Often I have thought Dr. Falwell got caught up in the political scene and forgot that the Kingdom of God is not of this world.

Now perhaps he was doing exactly what God wanted him to, I can't answer that. But I have seen several churches get so involved in the field of politics that they stop seeking the lost. If at your church more people show up for a political rally or voter registration drive than show up for visitation you might want to look at your priorities.

6. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

You speak of falwell being in politics as if he was trying to get votes. Jerry falwell is a preacher to the masses not a political activist.

Jerry has very strong views as do I. But when many of you are against his joke against homosexuals and democrats, does this mean (to those who are against it) that you have never made fun of or made a joke against a homosexual or against another persons views. In Jesus' words let the man with no sin cast the first stone.
    P.S. I do believe Jesus likes nuclear weapons but does not need them for his wrath. Jesus is a God of love but he does give out just punishment. If he were here today and saw the things that should not be in church he would take more than a whip to it.

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't dare tell you that I have never said something in just a joking manner that I should not have said. Of course, I have. Everybody has.

By the same token, I don't have to be "without sin" to point out that the man needs to be more accountable for what he says from the pulpit.

I'm not casting stones at him. I don't want to tear his ministry down. I just want him to be more accountable for what he says.

Jerry Falwell needs to be more careful with what comes out of his mouth!

And so do I....so do I.

But because I do too, that doesn't mean that I can't remind BB readers that he, as a pastor, does.

Let me tell you. That joke that he made was one of many inappropriate things about homosexuality that I have heard him say while watching him on television years ago.

Jerry Falwell needs to think more before he speaks, as do we all. But because the entire nation is watching for what he has to say next, he is in a very critical place.

He represents the Lord and because he is a national "leader", he represents you and me, whether that makes us happy or not.

I'm not casting stones at the man. Only God has the authority to pass judgement.

But I am insisting that that he take his accountability more seriously as a pastor. And we as christians do have the authority to hold each other accountable.

[​IMG] Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O. [​IMG]
    <><

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good grief...

...I forget to follow Gregory's advice and pray before we post.

I sounded a "tad" grouchy and pushy. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry if I sounded like I was ranting at you.

[​IMG] Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O. [​IMG]
    <><

9. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Call it judgment or call it accountability, but the Apostle Paul said that we as Christians need to call each other on our errors: " What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?" (1 Cor. 5: 12)

I agree with you, Scarlett, and I didn't think you came on too strong.

10. onecoolcanuk

onecoolcanuk Guest

Hey Don, what's up?

Well, 9/11 could have been God's judgement on America but it was not only judgement against homosexuality. There are many other prevalent sins in your country and mine and I don't think God used a terrorist attack as judgement against only homosexuality. And if it was God's judgement, why are you guys fighting a war in retaliation for it? It's beyond me. :(

That's cool that you were kidding. It's hard to get that across sometimes, I know that for a fact.

Well, I'd compare Falwell to John Kerry only for the reason that I stated. Falwell called 9/11 "God's judgement" and now today he supports the war. To me, that's not consistent and equally as bad as Kerry's "I voted for the war before I voted against the war".

11. onecoolcanuk

onecoolcanuk Guest

"Re nuclear weapons, ever read 2Pet 3:10? "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up."
    -------------------------------------------------
    rjprince: I've read that but I don't believe it is conclusive that it's nuclear war. I believe God can do that Himself.

If it were nuclear war, then no man would be left standing on the earth when Jesus returns for the earth would be burned up.

12. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I don't give Falwell (or anybody else for that matter) any more or less credit than is his due.
    He used to be a great preacher. Politics has diverted him for a while. Perhaps now in his twilight years he will get back to his "first love" and concentrate on winning the lost.

I think many on this board have been guilty of esteeming the man too much. I have been guilty of this concerning other men. But what saith the Scriptures?

1Co 3:4
    For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
    1Co 3:5
    ¶ Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
    1Co 3:6
    I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
    1Co 3:7
    So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
    1Co 3:8
    Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

Every man shall receive his OWN reward according to his OWN labour. Jesus will take care of any wrongs Jerry has done at the JSOC. We should best be looking to our own selves. (You will notice this was worded using WE, and that is by design.)

In HIS service;
    Jim

13. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

I dont know if anyone has held jerry falwell in a higher position than he should be. But i do think falwell does need for somone to at least show he is not the crazy man people make him out to be. People should aim to do as he does because he aimed to bring in the lost all his life.

14. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    don, do you actually know anything about Falwell?

"You speak of falwell being in politics as if he was trying to get votes. Jerry falwell is a preacher to the masses not a political activist."

15. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

Ive always seen him as both a preacher and a political activists. But i dont remember implying that he should have votes, But that would be awsome if he ran for president. I think he is a political activist in that he goes up and speaks against imoral things and helps gain voters against imoral activity throught the moral majoraty.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I do agree with you. Jerry Falwell is a man whose best days are far behind him. That's no shame to say, either. It happens to most orators, sacred or secular. The problem arises when the orator doesn't come to grips with it, and tries to play oratory football as though he were in college.

17. don 3426

don 3426 New Member

I see falwell like the hulkster (in the fact of age not anything else) he can keep going no matter how old because hes got the crowd and the hype for what he does.

18. west

west New Member

I was surprised when a couple of years ago he had Benny Hinn speak at his campus .Jerry said many of the kids watch Benny .Benny had a big smile on his face as Jerry talked about him .

19. don 3426

don 3426 New Member