1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jerry Falwell's Educational Contribution

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, May 16, 2007.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all who have an ear:

I would like to engender a respectful conversation on the educational contributions either negatively or positively of the Rev. Jerry Falwell's contribution to Christian Higher Education.

I would like a diversity of Baptist backgrounds to comment if possible: SBC, IFB, Bible Church backgrounds, etc., et al.

I think most who have read my posts over the years probably know how I feel!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Dr. Falwell changed distance education for the better. With vision, his Liberty University is an example of how you can hold to core beliefs yet do higher education with quality in a variety of disciplines. This could be an even greater accomplishment than anything Falwell did politically.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm a product of his educatonal vision. I went to LU and graduated from there.

Things have changed for the better because of him. If anything his efforts to create an enlightened evangelical mind have succeeded and are in the process continuing the create Gospel commissioned young people into being missional in culture.

His Kingdom investment will pay dividends for decades to come. Dr. Falwell is, in reality, the spiritual father of many pastors and clergy throughout the world.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks to the ministry of Jerry Falwell, and Liberty Theological Seminary's Distance Learning Program, I was able to complete my Masters degree (MA/Religion). It is unlikely, considering my circumstances at the time, that I would have been able to finish it any other way. For this alone I thank the Lord for the ministry of Jerry Falwell.

I have also been blessed by many of Falwell's sermons, his newspaper (Liberty Journal), and the wonderful conferences held at his church. My favorite was the Prophecy Conference (02) with Tim LaHaye, Ed Hindson, Gary Frazier, and Jerry Falwell. I also completed both courses of Falwell's "Institute of Biblical Studies" (w/ Ed Hindson) and enjoyed both.

While in recent years I developed some theological differences with Falwell (Calvinism) and political differences (I'm not a political activist anymore) I remained greatly blessed by the work the Lord has done through Jerry Falwell. I'm certain that Falwell is with the Lord and that his reward will be great. Well done, Dr. Falwell :applause: (2Tim 4:7-8).

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

R.I.P Dr. Falwell. While I did not agree with much of his theological conclusions, I admired his courage for what he believed in.

God used Dr. Falwell to pioneer Liberty University that has impacted so many lives. Dr. Falwell was a flawed man but used by God.

6. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

My family and I just arrived in Lynchburg to tour LU tomorrow. How sad we are at the passing of Dr. Falwell.

I was one of the early LUSLLL graduates with an M.A. in counseling. I now teach online courses at CCU and am going through the interview process to teach at LU!

Dr. Falwell's legacy in distance education tied to a major university is going to be incredible!

He will be missed.

7. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I enrolled and am having my transcripts sent to LU for the distance learning program. I have been working on this for about a month. I am IFBKJVO, but I don't have any problem with our differences. We all believe in saved by grace, and the Trinity, and we believe in the Great Commission. He did a wonderful thing when he built his vision for Christian education.

So I can envision Dr. Falwell rejoicing in Heaven...because "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord"

Amen! :jesus:

8. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Come on, Rhet. Not everybody has been on the board years. :wavey:

I came from from IFB background (GARBC to be specific) and attended Liberty for my undergrad. I look back on it as one of the best decisions of my life and I say that without reservations.

Jerry immersed himself in the school at the same time most of America wasn't focused on his political activism. He had a passion for the concept of Christian education and he saw the great impact it could have on society today and into the future. That's something that was lost on many IFB leaders of the time. Not willing to limit opportunities to just unaccredited Bible institute, he wanted to give students an opportunity to receive a top notch education in whatever field they chose. The law school had its first graduation ceremonies today and the engineering school is being set up as we have this discussion.

While the other vocational opportunities were added to the Liberty curriculum, Jerry made sure that its religious foundation was never disregarded. The expansion of the school of religion and the seminary was one of the final major projects on campus announced in his lifetime.

Perhaps I am too close to the situation to offer a proper perspective, but I believe he played one of the pivotal roles in raising the expectations of Christian education in America.

9. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sly Fox Reply

Dear Brother,

Your comment:

Educational Contribution
    "Come on, Rhet. Not everybody has been on the board years. :wavey:"

I am sorry but I am at a loss. I am sorry if I make an assumption that some may not have understood. If I am understanding your critique properly.

What I meant is that I have and am on the "online teachers roster" for Liberty's undergrad religion program. I taught for them this past Spring and hope to teach for them this Fall. That is all I meant by the remark.

Let me know if there is additional clarification needed?

No harm meant or taken.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

10. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

No apology needed as I wasn't offering a critique. I was honestly asking for you to state your thoughts since not everybody has been on this board for a great deal of time. This is a very transient community.