1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jerubbaal

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Palatka51, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Is this another name for Gideon?

Does the name reference predicated Baal worship?

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes and probably.

3. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Earlier in the story of Gideon, Judges 6:32, says that the name was given to him by others when after Gideon destroyed the sacred poles for Baal he drove off others and said that Baal should contend for himself if he wants to defend himself. Thus, he was given the name Jerubbaal, which is to say "Let Baal contend against him" because he pulled down Baal's altar.

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Thanks that is great info. :thumbs:

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Enemies (and friends) give names that "stick". Y'rub ba'al was a GOOD name for Gideon, a title of honor.

Find it not odd at all that the OT refers to "Daniel" rather than Belteshazzar (his bablylonian pagan name used a few times). But then, in the same story, it refers to 3 of his compatriots as Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego - all pagan names - instead of Hananiah, Azariah and Mishael their real Hebrew names.

No consistency with names in the OT. I am preaching on Jonadab ben Recav, who is also called Johanadab just to confuse readers!

Buy hey, you can call me Robert, Robt, Bob, RE or a host of other names, and I won't be late to dinner . . . ;)