1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus and His Dependence on the Father

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by BibleBob, Jun 22, 2004.

1. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

A friend of mine made the statement, and I roughly paraphrase, that Jesus could've come to Earth, did al that He did, and redeemed us all of His own acccord and not in submission or dependence on the Father like He speaks of in John 5:19. My friend is saying that becuase Jesus is fully God He could;ve done everything that He did of His own accord without depending on God the Father. I disagree because I think His dependence on God is part of obedience to God and if He was depending and submitting to God, then He was not being fully obedient. I am curious as to anyone else's thoughts on my friend's idea. I thik one can make a valid argument against it just looking at John 5:19 and a few other verses which indicate Jesus could do nothing of His own initiative. If this is an unclear explaination please ask and I'll try to explain it better. Thanks for any input.
    In Him,
    Bob

2. psr.2

psr.2 Guest

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend;

Friend "Can God do anything?"

Me "yes"

Friend "Can he make a rock so big that even he could not pick it up?"

what comes to mind is 2 Tim 2:23 "But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes."

I'm outa here.

3. danrusdad

danrusdad New Member

Jesus in His deity is not "dependent" on God;however, Jesus in His humanity, and as an example for us, was fully and continually dependant on God. As was stated, His dependence was a necessary part of His obedience.

PS "Can God make a rock so big that even He could not pick it up?"

Questions like this are asked by people who don't really want an answer. Incidentally, the question is based on a false view of omnipotence. God's omnipotence means He can do all things that are actually possible. Even God cannot do the impossible (i.e. the rock thing, God cannot sin, God cannot overlook sin, etc, etc.)

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is God come in the flesh. He is both Lord and master and servant.
    The only answer for your friend is the Scripture.
    Philippians 2 in particular.

May God illuminate his mind with who Jesus Christ IS.

Philippians 2:5-11
    Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
    Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
    But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
    And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
    That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
    And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Notice that the Scripture says that He "made Himself of no reputation" and not that the Father made Him of no reputation.

In John 13 Jesus the Lord and Master washes the feet of the disciples as the Servant of God.

John 13:13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

Isaiah 53:10
    Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
    He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

[ June 22, 2004, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: HankD ]

5. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

'

AMEN! :eek: [​IMG] Very nice

6. BibleBob

BibleBob New Member

Thanks for the input. The scriptures do make it clear that Jesus could do nothing of His own initiative. God bless.

Bob

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Biblebob, I agree with you assessment. A hand cannot do anything unless it is connected to the brain. Likewise with the Son and the Father. In fact, Jesus made it clear that it was not His will, but His Father's will that he was doing. However, I also agree with psr.2 in regards to the topic being in the realm of "Could God make a rock so bich he can't move it". I think your friend is trying to explain something that doesn't really need explaining.

8. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I happen to think Jesus's dependence on the Father is part and parcel with the very definition of faith itself. Jesus lived by faith in God.