1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Jesus and the death Penalty?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 12strings, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bit of a stretch :) Just don't see anything concrete in Gods word where He has given us His authority to take a life. The government okayed abortion too.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    actually, that was the Supreme Court that invented a new riht never seen befiore in the constitution!

And God ordained execution, for that was what he used to have jesus killed with, death by the state!

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So the government tells us it's okay to takes the life of one who took a life made in the image of God, but that same government is okay with abortion?

That make no sense and causes confusion that is not of God.

Either we're against ALL taking of life or we're not. It's almost crazy to say that God okayed the government to take life at one end but not the other.

6. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

The message of the 60's hippies, love & peace. Since the death penalty has been abolished in most states, criminals don't fear the law. The prison system is home away from home, three hot's and a cot and all the recreation desired by a rich man. If it was left up to all the bleeding hearts there would be no conviction because love is higher than justice. The liberals would be setting on the jury crying, he that is without sin, let him cast the first stone. No scripture just common since

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He didn't ! he authotrized the government to have capital punishment option idf needed, but did NOYT authorize abortion on demand!

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Where has He authorized the government to murder adults but not babies? That seems to be inconsistent Christian logic to justify what we are for and against.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The babies have commited no crime worthy of death punishment, while murderers and killers have!

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Again you're talking about how man feels about what they have done. God says that ALL have sinned so the babies are just as worthy of death as is an adult murderer.

His righteousness and justice does not discriminate. We do.

And you still didn't address that previous post:laugh:

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever been to a prison? I know you're just making a general point, but your picture of a life of leisure is way off base.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't trust the government to spend money I send them appropriately, way too many mistakes. Same applies to the death penalty for me, too many mistakes, which can't be undone.

13. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Which part, the one that was clipped off? LOL

14. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Another of questionable knowledge attempting to lecture me on mine. Too funny.

15. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Yes, indeed. You have nailed it.

16. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I have a good friend who worked as a prison officer for 30 years. He would tell you that you're full of it.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The thread in essence is comparing today's penal system with ancient Israel's. I am not for certain how Jesus would feel about our present system, and therefore the modern day death penalty.

Note this. There was no orgainized prison system in ancient Israel. For crimes not involving the death penalty, such as stealing or other lesser crimes, the perpetrator of the crime was required to pay back the victim, sometimes in multiples. Contrast that with today. The criminal spends some amount of time in jail. It puts a burden on the taxpayer, and does nothing to make the victim whole. In fact, the victim pays taxes to put up the criminal.

Another thread, but there are entirely too many in prison from non violent crimes that could be handled in some other fashion. IMO, prison and jails should be for violence, drug dealers, and sexual crimes. Drugs users, (first time), contempt of court, and other such offenses could be handled in a different manner to greatly reduce the expense of government.

Israel put much more value on life and less on material things. Jesus would probably agree with some aspects of the death penalty today, maybe not the way we administer it. IMO, there is sometimes crimes so horrible that are not murder, that consideration should be given to the DP, such as Bernie Madoff, who destroyed thousands of lives, or treason, or in some cases, such as trading children in a sex ring or selling drugs to a certain number of children established by law.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I have number of them and they all would agree with him.

19. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I am not so sure you are quite right on this. I'd say that death is an easy punishment compared to living long-term or the remaining years of my life in a Super Max Jail.

Death is a liberal punishment compared to living as described above.

20. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I worked in the prison system for thirty two years. The prisoners have three meals a day at the dinning room, a warm place to stay in the winter, a air-condition unit to live in of the summer. They get to go to the yard twice a day where there is weight lifting sheds, basketball courts ect. Each unit where prisoners are assigned too has gym time certain day's of the week. There is a clinic and nurse's staff and a doctor on call. A dentist that comes to the institution, eye doctors that come. There is a barbershop for haircuts and also the convicts can go through barber school course and other tech courses. There are work detailes that prisoners can work at which they get payed for. The prison i worked at had a farm and a dairy and chicken houses that prisoners could work at. Prisoners would even drive farm trucks delivering eggs and milk to different institutions. There are libraries for prisoners to check out books to read and they can work in the library. They have visitation once a week from family and friends. each convict can have his own tv set or there is one in the day room. The prisoners get institutionalized after a time because they have more in prison than they have on the streets. Some prisoners don't work or go to school. these prisoners lay around in the unit all day except for meals and recreation time. If a prisoner has it hard in prison it is because he makes it hard on himself. Most older prisoners don't cause any problems and don't want any problems. Younger prisoners that are short timers are the ones that try to make names for themselves and cause all the problems. Most prisoners are not sent to max security prisons, but to minimum and medium security prisons which i have described

#60 salzer mtn, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.