1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus had a human nature?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salamander, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

that is fair....

Lets put it this way....

If sinning was picking up a rock, Christ had the power in his body to pick up that rock.

However, being that he was not from Adam but was the second Adam, and was not born with the sin nature, he had no desire to sin (pick up the rock) as we have.

Is that clear?

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To add to your question:

Most of us will say Jesus Christ is 100% man and 100% God. So which part(s) died of the cross? Can God die? Can God suffer? On the other hand, could our sins be atoned for if He didn't?

I may respond later.

#42 Benjamin, Jul 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  3. nunatak

nunatak New Member

According to this line of thought, Christ could not sin. Not to derail the thread, but doesn't this also imply that Christ did not have free will?

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Of course He could have sinned, just like Adam. Like Adam, Jesus was free of original sin but unlike Adam He did not sin. Adam left us with the curse of sin; Jesus took it away. That is why 1 Corinthians 15 refers to Jesus as the last Adam. After all He was fully a man. If Jesus was tempted (and he was), He could have sinned. Thank God, He did not or we would all be lost.

5. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Yeah, that's a good point. And what about his prayer in the garden?

6. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Sort of, if sinning is someone throwing herself at Christ, he had no desire to "go there." So, then, how does the lack of sin nature work with the fact he was fully man? I understand he was fully God. But if one is fully man, doesn't that come with a sin nature? How can Christ be fully man, and not have a sin nature? I know he didn't, I just don't understand it.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

That was the NASB. But it's the same in the King James:
    Jesus did not just put on a body like a suit or something. That would mean he was not really human.

I'm not saying Jesus had a sin nature; he couldn't because he was God.

Where are you getting this "speaking lies" stuff? If it's from Ps. 5, that is about the wicked:

8. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Wouldn't that be everyone?

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Just looking at that passage, no, it's specifically about a group called "the wicked."

I said it was from Ps. 5 but it's Ps. 58. SFIC was saying that the Bible says everyone comes forth from the womb speaking lies, but this passage says "the wicked." I think we should go by what the text says. I was trying to point that out.

10. standingfirminChrist

Jesus said of the Father in Hebrews "a body Thou hast prepared me."

God had the body prepared for Him before He even was placed in the womb.

He was human in that He was flesh, bone, and blood.

But He did not have every trait of a human, for it was not in Him to sin as it is in you or I. So, in that respect, He was not 100% human even though He was 100% human flesh.

As nunatak pointed out, He had no desire to sin, none whatsoever. So that was missing from the human traits that Christ had.

11. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

You fail to see the value of Church history. These men just didn't pull things out of the air. They all studied them just as we do today. What you will see in history all the debates back with verses by both sides In some cases as many as 4 sides. If in the end it did not line up with the Bible it was thrown out. As you read the debates you two can take it or leave it based on if the writer backs his views with scripture. Never believe others only on there words. I see the very heart of our faith at times come under attack, only because they have never studied. Its not wrong to ask, but when it is shown over and over that some of these doctrines have been held by all Christians for 2000 years and yet they still do not believe, it puzzles me. All am saying is read some church books and will help not hurt you.

yes

yes

Nope, but all other babies born came forth lying for one reason. They had a human father. The sin nature is past through man. This is clear as it is told in Gen.

You can say what you want. Like the quote at the bottom of Benjamin's post....that don't make it right.

The fact is, they are both the same thing.

:applause:

12. standingfirminChrist

They must've not studied enough. They not only missed on the fact that Jesus was not born with a sin nature, so therefore was not 100% human even though 100% God in a 100% flesh body.

They missed on election too. Maybe if they truly understood election, they would have understood the rest of what Christ wanted them to know.

13. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adam was 100% human, even though he was created without a sin nature.

14. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I answered that question -- Post #31. :D

JDale

15. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I'm sure you know of the phrase "in Christ". The phrase is loaded with alot of meanings. But the one I want to point out here is the federal headship of Christ. What this means is that he was the 1st of a new race. The 1st Adam and Christ the 2nd Adam, both had a human nature. Adam sinned and his nature was a fallen nature or sin nature. Adam however was made pure with no sin.

Christ was the 2nd Adam ...the begining of the new man....a new race...a new people. Christ had the power in him to sin, but unlike Adam did not fall into sin. He had vicory over sin, and there by won the fight over death also.

The new race , or all that are born again or born from above, will leave the old man (Adam) and become sons of God in the new nation.

They go from (in Adam) to (in Christ)

16. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus had two natures: Divine and Human. To believe Jesus was not fully human just as he is to be Sabalian.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Aren't "human nature" and "sin nature" usually used interchangeably?

If we say that Christ had a human nature, is that the same thing as saying He had a sin nature, since human nature is sinful? :confused:

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the Word was made flesh...

He was/is fully human/fully God.

Just because He cant/wont sin doesn't make Him less than human, it makes Him perfectly human.

NKJ Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.​

Flesh - sarx (look it up). He was born of woman, a mortal human being subject to death (obviously).

Hebrews 2:16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

John 14:30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.​

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.​

HankD

#58 HankD, Jul 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

just do a short study on the headship of Christ and maybe you will understand where i'm coming from.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Who is talking about election? And why bring it up? And what proof do you have to say such a thing?

20. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

not at all...

see my post above. :)