1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus made a Surety !

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by savedbymercy, Apr 14, 2015.

1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Heb 7:22

22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

When was Jesus made a Surety ? A surety is a striking of the hands Prov 22:26

26 Be not thou one of them that strike hands, or of them that are sureties for debts.

Its to undertake, obligate oneself to take on ones or others debts. Remember sins are called debts Matt 6:12;Lk 11:4 !

Paul Illustrates this principle of becoming a Surety in the sitation with he, Philemon, and Onesimus Philemon 1:18-19

18 If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account;

19 I Paul have written it with mine own hand, I will repay it: albeit I do not say to thee how thou owest unto me even thine own self besides.

Yes Paul is speaking as an Surety in this instance ! This Illustration sets forth Christ's Suretyship for them He died for ! The debt of sin owed to the Law and Justice of God , He is responsible, indebted to God's Law and Justice for them ! He must repay it !

Now just when was this Suretyship agreemembt / arrangement made or established ? I believe firmly it was from Everlasting, in the Eternal Counsel of an Everlasting Covenant Heb 13:20

20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

This verse most certainly informs us of an Everlasting Covenant, as well scripture informs us of a Divine Counsel Acts 2:23

23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:

Ps 33:11

11 The counsel of the Lord standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.

The thoughts of the Lord and His Counsel are the same !

And His Eternal Counsel, Purpose was in Christ Eph 3:11

11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:

So we believe that that this Eternal Purpose in Christ established Him as the Surety of those Chosen in Him before the foundation Eph 1:4, so frankly we believe God's Eternal Purpose and His Everlasting Covenant are the same ! I believe Job had knowledge of Christ's Suretyship Job 17:3

3 Lay down now, put me in a surety with thee; who is he that will strike hands with me?

John Gill is timely on this verse:

2. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Jesus made a Surety ! 2

As the Surety of His People His Name is Jesus Heb 7:22

22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

So we believe His Name Jesus is connected to His Suretyship, for it has been written Matt 1:21

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

His People here would also be those He became a Surety for ! Rom 3:26

26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus their Surety of the Covenant.

So it is, they that come to believe on Jesus, belongeth to that People He was made a Surety for in the Everlasting Covenant. Also His Suretyship is meant here Isa 42:6

6 I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

That word Covenant denotes He being made a Surety !

A Covenant is a Pledge. A Surety Pledges Prov 22:26

26 Be not thou one of them that strike hands, or of them that are sureties for debts.

That word sureties mean:

i.to take on pledge, go surety for

ii.to give in pledge

iii.to exchange

iv.to pledge

B.(Hithpael)

i.to exchange pledges

ii.to have fellowship with, share

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Jesus made a Surety ! 3

When those whom Christ became a Surety for before the foundation, even from everlasting, when they come into the world as sinners, by Adam and by their own iniquties after they are born, all those sins, God looks not to them for satisfaction against His Law and Justice, but He looked to their Surety, Jesus, to pay the debt till the uttermost farthing.

For because of His Suretyship, when they sinned, not they, but He became indebted to God's Law and Justice in their stead, and in their behalf. Thats why we have scripture that says Heb 2:17

17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

That word behooved opheiló means:

I owe, ought.opheílō (a primitive verb, NAS dictionary) – to owe, be indebted, i.e. obliged to rectify a debt ("ought").

Thats why He became Incarnate, Made under the Law, to settle a Debt He owed to God's Law and Justice, for the Sins of the Elect, not all men, but His Brethren, the Seed of Abraham Vs 16

16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

This will begin a Look at Particular Reconciliation !

4. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

Did you copy and paste these posts from another source besides Gill?

If so, please cite.

The fact of the suretyship of Christ is one of the strongest, irrefutable arguments of particular redemption (limited/specific atonement).

Surety: An individual who undertakes an obligation to pay a sum of money or to perform some duty or promise for another in the event that person fails to act.

Surety: n. a guarantor of payment or performance if another fails to pay or perform

(http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/surety)

Before the foundation of the world God the Father and God the Son entered into a contract called the Everlasting Covenant.

This eternal contract called for the Son to pay in full the sin debt of those unworthy sinners chosen by the Father.

Christ’s innocent shed blood was the accepted payment.

Christ earned the right to make such a payment by His perfect obedience to the Father’s will.

In the Garden, God made a binding contract with Adam.

Adam failed to fulfill the condition of the contract.

Jesus was the surety who guaranteed to do that which Adam and his Elect progeny could not and would not do.

Jesus willingly agreed to take the judgment due the Elect.

This He did at the cross.

He was punished and died in the stead of those elected by the Father.

The payment Jesus made on their behalf was unconditionally accepted by the Father.

Proof of acceptation was His resurrection.

Therefore, all sins of the Elect have been paid in full by Christ, their surety.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Therefore, it is impossible that there are sinners for whom Christ died and rose again who are now or will be suffering the pangs of Hell.

Christ paid for all sins, including the sin of unbelief.

Furthermore, Christ paid for all spiritual graces necessary unto salvation.

Without which graces no man would bring forth justifying faith.

The Elect have been and will always be the recipients of those graces.

He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ

But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
    8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Did you understand the points I made? Please review them with me to show that you understand them! And no I didn't copy and paste nothing but what I stated so stop your false accusations! Did you copy and paste your comments without nothing the source?

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, the idea that Christ guarantees forever the New Covenant in His blood is basic to Christianity. Everyone and anyone that God places spiritually in Christ will be reconciled to God, and enjoy eternal life in Holy unity with God.

This doctrine does not support the Calvinist view of Limited Atonement, but instead supports the Biblical doctrine that Christ laid down His life as a ransom for all.

Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. As God places each sinner into Christ, He takes away that sin of the world, referred to the circumcision of Christ. God in Christ is reconciling the world to Himself, one sinner at a time.

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Did you understand the OP ? Please review with me the points I made so we can begin a discussion on those points !