1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus' marriage to Mary Magdalene

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, May 22, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

With the Davinci Code opening this week, I got to thinking about the claim that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene. While I don't believe Jesus was married, and the true Gospels never insinuate He was, the gnostic "gospel" of Phillip makes it look like Jesus was not only married (and kissed Mary on the mouth), but it would have been wrong for Him to have done this, and would have negated His deity as well as His total lack of sin.

For arguments sake, how would it have been wrong for Jesus (fully man, also) to have been married? Wouldn't this have only showed His full humanity as well as His deity? Since marriage is commissioned by God, and normal marital relationships are not sin, how would it have affected Jesus' death, burial and resurrection? I don't think it would have, but I would like to hear others view (with Scripture, also).

My father pointed out that since Jesus is our "High Priest", priests were not allowed to marry. I'm not sure about this, since Jesus never wore the priestly garments, either, and He would not be held to man's standards.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm not sure about that priests weren't allowed to marry thing.
    Just a quick thought without studying it. But if Jesus is the bridegroom, and the church/us are/is the bride(depending on which view you have), then Jesus would have 2 wives, human and church.
    Jesus came to teach about God, heaven and die for our sins, not live a merry happy human lifestyle, if He had He wouldn't have suffered and died for us.
    But thats just my spur of the moment thoughts.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The Bible talks about how there is no temptation know to man that Jesus didn't experience. So in order to be tempted to commit adultery, wouldn't he have to have been married?

Not saying that is my viewpoint at all, just posing it for discussion.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus said that whoever looked on a woman with lust has committed adultery, so I don't think He would have HAD to be married to commit adultery.

5. timothy27

timothy27 New Member

The Gospel of Phillip does not say Jesus kissed mary on the mouth, it says He kissed her on ... then there is nothing. The manuscript does not specify where, those who say it was on the lips are completely speculating. It could have been on the cheek, lips, forehead, chin...etc.

There is also another Gnostic gospel that says Jesus kissed on of the disciples on the lips, and this time it was specified. I do not remember which one, it may have been Thomas. Are we to assume that this is evidence that Christ was gay also?

6. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

I have heard it said that hunger urges are stronger than sexual urges, and since Jesus was tempted into eating after having fasted for 40 days, that was a stronger temptation than adultery.

7. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Some things off the top of my head to ponder:

1) People would worship Mary Magdalene and any offspring she had whether by Jesus or not.
    (would their chidlren be demigods?)

2) How can sinless, Holy God, be united with the flesh of a sinful woman? The incorruptable with the corruptable?

3)It would be sort of an incestuous relationship.
    (Jesus and the Father are one)

4) When a man and woman "leave and cleave" the two become "one flesh".

5) Paul says it would be better not to be married because our attentions are divided between our spouse and God. Jesus came here for one purpose and marriage would have distracted from that.

6) Some believe the "sons of god" in Genesis 6:4 were Angels, and God didn't look too kindly on that.

7) Wouldn't His mate have to be equally sinless and perfect (and divine)?

8. BroTom64

BroTom64 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry Webdog, your father is wrong.
    Jewish Priests in the Old and New Testaments married. The High Priest's were to come in direct descent from Aaron. The teaching of an unmarried celebate priesthood comes from Roman Catholic doctrine.

Nu 25:7 And when Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he
    rose up from among the congregation, and took a javelin in his hand;
    8 And he went after the man of Israel into the tent, and thrust both of them through, the
    man of Israel, and the woman through her belly. So the plague was stayed from the
    children of Israel.
    9 And those that died in the plague were twenty and four thousand.
    10 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
    11 Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, hath turned my wrath away
    from the children of Israel, while he was zealous for my sake among them, that I
    consumed not the children of Israel in my jealousy.

Lu 1:13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy
    wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.

Some of the Apostles were married as well.
    Mr 1:30 But Simon’s wife’s mother lay sick of a fever, and anon they tell him of her.
    I Cor 9:5 Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?

If Jesus was married would Paul have used His marriage in this arguement?

The teaching of an unmarried celebate priesthood comes from Roman Catholic doctrine.

Because of His calling and for "the sake of the kingdom". I think it would have been wrong for Jesus to marry.
    Matthew 19:3 ¶ The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
    4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
    5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
    6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
    7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
    8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
    9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
    10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.
    11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
    12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother’s womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Strong's Concordance: 2) metaph. to make one’s self a eunuch i.e. by abstaining (like a eunuch from marriage).

I Cor 7:32 But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:
    33 But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.

Jesus had a higher calling. Though scripture does not speak to this point, I believe He avoided marriage. Marriage for Him would have been a hinderance to His calling.
    Tom

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Jesus said that whoever looked on a woman with lust has committed adultery, so I don't think He would have HAD to be married to commit adultery. </font>[/QUOTE]Jesus was sinless.
    He was tempted in all points as we are and yet without sin. Adultery is sin. He would not have looked upon a woman even to lust after her.
    Jesus was tempted as we all are. But many times we give into temptation. Jesus did not. He resisted temptation, and did not sin.

Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

No one has to sin if they don't want to. We make a choice to sin. We make a choice to give into temptation.
    DHK

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By being born of one?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus said that whoever looked on a woman with lust has committed adultery, so I don't think He would have HAD to be married to commit adultery. </font>[/QUOTE]Jesus was sinless.
    He was tempted in all points as we are and yet without sin. Adultery is sin. He would not have looked upon a woman even to lust after her.
    Jesus was tempted as we all are. But many times we give into temptation. Jesus did not. He resisted temptation, and did not sin.

Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

No one has to sin if they don't want to. We make a choice to sin. We make a choice to give into temptation.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]I don't want you to think that I believed Jesus sinned. If I came across like that, I didn't mean to. I don't think you read what I was responding to.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

They worship His earthly mother.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm referring to those who would worship Mary Magdalene.

15. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Friends, here is a link to the be-all, end-all book debunking the Da Vinci Crud:

http://www.josh.org/

There's NO SECULAR EVIDENCE that Jesus ever had any relationship with MM other than Lord/disciple.

There's no evidence that shows Da Vinci as having ever been a member of any gnostic order.

Thi whole thing is Sensationalism. Leonardo was not a recluse. He was sociable & had a large circle of friends. Had he painted any codes into any of his works, he would NOT have failed to have made it known, either to friends or in his diaries & journals

All together now....

..............BAH! HUMBUG!................

16. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree webdog. While I don't believe the claims of marriage and children, I do not believe it has any impact on orthodox theology if he was married and had children at any time before his ascension.

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

We all agree that Jesus is 100% God and 100% man

But what we have to realize is this---the two natures cannot be seperated---they are intertwined so that one cannot distinquish where Jesus' humanity begins and Jesus' diety ends. One cannot tell where Jesus' diety begins and His humanity ends. The diety of Jesus and the humanity of Jesus are "knit" to each other and cannot be seperated---so that as Jesus was tempted---it was both natures being tempted---not just His human nature.

Jesus' one true love---both in His humanity and in His diety is----the Church

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How could God be tempted? How could God die?

I understand that Jesus' natures can't be separated, but this is similar to the Trilogy. God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all One...while remaining three distinct Persons.

This is one of those things that the more you think about it, the more you realize you don't understand it.

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

We need to remember too----we are the "finite" studying God--- the "infinite"

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Now---here's what I'm saying about the impossibility of seperating Jesus' diety from His humanity

Jesus' blood was 100% human blood----no one would dare dispute that

But Jesus' blood was also 100% God's blood

His blood was the blood of humanity

His blood was also the blood of diety---His blood was God's blood!!

Acts 20:28 says, "Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock over which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which He hath purchased with His own blood.