1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Jesus said that he will build his Church/ Local Assembly or Body of Christ?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Nov 20, 2013.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Read through the events of Pentecost. There were 3,000 that were that were saved, baptized (by immersion) and added to the church (at Jerusalem). Show me from the Scriptures that they were so-called "baptized by the Holy Spirit."

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

With this group the next assembly might be the feast of tabernacles.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

You mean here. There is no baptism of the Holy Spirit here. Where do you get that from?

4. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me from the Scriptures that they were so-called "baptized by the Holy Spirit."

DHK..., I'm with you. To "baptize" means to immerse. End of subject.

...course, Martyn Lloyd-Jones made reference to such activity but he really didn't mean it.

This thread title, "Jesus said that he will build his Church/Local Assembly or Body of Christ?"

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (Source: Matt 16:18 KJV)

I consider that to be a wonderful promise. ("I" will; build "MY"; church...,) kinda clears that up for me.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

1 Cor 12:13 Esv

When a sinner gets saved, at THAT moment Spiritual baptisiam has taken place, immersed into the Body, then water baptised as entry into local body!

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will ask you specifically.

And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; Eph 2:20
    Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
    This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Acts 4:10,11

When was Jesus of Nazareth, the Christ laid as the chief corner stone, the head of the corner?

This Jesus (Jesus of Nazareth see V22) hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, Acts 2:32,33

What did God the Father give to Jesus of Nazareth, his only begotten Son, upon raising Jesus of Nazareth from the dead? After having received the promise of the Holy Spirit , what then took place concerning the Holy Spirit?

he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. Balance of Acts 2:33

When did that begin to take place and those to whom the Spirit was shed upon as the gift of God the Father in the name of Jesus Christ into whom they had been baptized were added to what? Was they added to the stone which had been laid in Zion fifty days prior? See 1 Peter 2:4-6 NKJV Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. Therefore it is also contained in the Scripture, “Behold, I lay in Zion
    A chief cornerstone, elect, precious,
    And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame.”

I contend the true baptism through the Holy Spirit is given is the baptism of Jesus spoken of in Luke 12:50 Matt 20:22 of which the water baptism of ourselves show that we believe, we also shall receive that baptism as he did?

See Matt. 20:23 and also chapter 6 of the book of Romans.

DHK and all others

Please give me your thoughts concerning the above beginning at, "I contend."

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 1 Cor 10:2

Comment on that verse relative to that in bold. How many of them got wet?

Is Jesus the Son of the living God building the church or is God the Father building the church through the Son, as the stone the Father laid in Zion as the chief corner stone and is adding chosen living (by the Spirit) stones to that stone?

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

First, I asked you to show me from Acts 2, on the Day of Pentecost, where any mention of the 3,000 were "baptized of the Spirit." You couldn't because they were not.

Second, the verse you quoted above, 1Cor.12:13, is applicable only to the church at Corinth. That is who Paul was addressing. Put yourself in the place of the Corinthian believers. Do you think that they would be applying those words to every believer on earth; to a U-church concept? No. They had never heard of any such concept. The verse was directed to them as a body, just as Paul had been using the picture of a body throughout the entire chapter.

They were baptized in that body of believers, whether Jew or Gentile, at Corinth. The stress was on unity and harmony in the local church. There are not two baptisms here; only one.

The comparison is to the human body throughout. Please read the context, how Paul refers back to the hand and foot; the eye and ear--the members of our body working together in unity and harmony with each other.

Here is what Adam Clark says:
    As the body is influenced by his own soul, so the church is influenced by the Holy Spirit, and it is the Spirit that unites the local church. The church at Jerusalem was of one accord; of one Spirit, but not because of a baptism of the Spirit. It is not there.

The drinking of one Spirit is a reference to the words of Christ in John 7:37.

John 7:37 And in the last, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, `If any one doth thirst, let him come unto me and drink;

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Jesus said, "I will build my church." Is there any reason to believe he did not start at that time?

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which churches... apostate ones that dot the countryside....the RCC, Episcopalian, PCUSA, UMC. They all claim Christ as Lord & Savior. CARISMATICS have in particular become very big and displacing Arminian and Calvinistic churches....the oldest Congregational church in NJ is now carismatic & so is the old Baptist church down the road. I keep being told doctrine is NOT STRESSED however praise bands are and we have kicking music :laugh:

So where are your churches?

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The ones that have Christ and the apostles as their foundation as per Eph.2:20 and 1Cor.3:11. Those who rely on baptism, tradition, experience, etc. as their authority are not among those churches.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are but ONE BODY, not individual local churches in the true Church of Christ though!

God sees all the saved and redeemed in one body, one Church, who within that true Church have labeled ourselves baptists, methodists, Presby, Nazarene etc!

15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.2 Peter 2:6 Isa 28:16

Who is the I relative to the stone?

verse 4, 1 Peter 2 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
    Acts 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

They disallowed him, rejected him, set him at naught and crucified him.

However he was the elect of God his Father and God his Father raised him from the dead as unto a living stone and lay him in Zion a chief corner stone.

The Lord said unto my Lord.

Who is the Lord relative to my Lord?

1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones,

Stones being added to the corner stone. Stones who had been dead in trespasses and sins.

And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. 1 Cor 15:17

When do you think Jesus Christ of Nazareth whom they crucified is become the living stone by which we could be removed from being dead in trespasses and sins to become living stones?

What establishes us as living stones being added to the living stone?

Lets look no further than the first chapter of 1st Peter verse 3
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
    But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Romans 8:11

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very few and far between then:tear:

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Just curious, where you live, what is the predominate denomination, and how many Baptist churches are around?

18. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think the case can be made that it was earlier than that. When Jesus completed the selection of the Twelve, he had a church.

19. TipofTheTongueTheology

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, where does the Bible say that GOd the father sees local churches, isn't the truth that he views us as being ONLY in the true Church/Body of Christ, in heaven and also here on earth?