1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus the Son

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by freeatlast, Feb 5, 2012.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Jesus is the Son of God. In what way is He the Son? In John we are told He was the Word. I know how my son is my son, but how is Jesus the Son of God? I believe that Jesus is OT Jehovah, the Creator of the world. I believe there is only one God. I believe that the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Spirit is God and I also believe that Jesus is the Son of God, but how is Jesus the Son? Is this a designation because of incarnation or has the person we call Jesus always been the Son? Please reference scripture.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the answer in a nutshell is that Jesus is the Son because He is the "image of the invisible God" (Colossians 1:15). And for a full length explanation of why Jesus is the Son of God - read all of Colossians 1:9-20.

But as for the long-winded answer :saint:, let’s talk about what is doesn’t mean first.

Jesus being Son of God does NOT mean:
    I’ve just done a search at biblegateway.com of all the phrases of Son of God and/or sons of God in the Bible. I didn’t read them all, obviously, but the phrase “son of God” is used for:
    And the first place that I saw “Son of God” (with a capital “S”) was in the Old Testament (and it was the only OT scripture that I saw with a capital “S”) and it was in Daniel where King Nebuchadnezzar said about the fourth man in the fire “He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.”

What on earth could he have meant by that – a pagan king with no concept of Jesus Christ or even a Messiah?

Here’s just my opinion for what it is worth.

I believe that “Son of God” means a manifestation of God. That's what it said in the Colossians passage that I saw. Jesus Christ IS God and was also a physical and fleshly manifestation of God here on earth.

Just as Adam and Christians and angels are manifestations of God in the sense that Adam was created in God’s image, Christians bear the Spirit of God inside them, and angels are the ministering servants of God – Jesus Christ is the ultimate and unique and divine and HOLY manifestation of God in the sense that He is God come in the flesh.

That's why He gets the "S"on of God reference and we get the "s"ons and "d"aughters of God reference.

#2 Scarlett O., Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt 1:25 And (Joseph) knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,

(only begotten) many threads on only begotten.

Did the birth spoken of in Matt 1:25 come about by (begotten)?

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, Is the preceding begotten the same begotten as in: Acts 13:33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? Maybe I should have used Matt. 1:20 for that which is conceived (begotten) in her is of the Holy Spirit instead of John 3:16.

Matt 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. Truer words were never spoken and Jesus told Peter that the Father had revealed that to him.

1 Tim 2:5 YLT for one [is] God, one also [is] mediator of God and of men, the man Christ Jesus,

Heb 1:3 Who being the brightness of [his] glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Jesus the Son of God.

John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
    Rev 13:8 the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Heb 7:9,10 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham. For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So does that mean you feel he is the Son because of incarnation or has for eternity been the Son?

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Well, Jesus is the "Lamb of God slain from the foundation of the world" (Rev. 13:8) and the book of John says that Jesus is the "Word and in the beginning the Word was God"...

...so if He is the Lamb from the beginning and the Word from the beginning, then I can accept His Sonship from the beginning even though His incarnation didn't come until later.

To me, He is Everything for eternity - from beginning to end - His full nature.

But, if someone can present an argument otherwise, I would listen.

6. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

There has always been One God, Godhead in 3 seperate persons, called father/Son/Holy Spirit...

God the Son came to earth in the Incarnation, was born as a man, yet without a sin nature as we are born with...

named Jesus, and forever will be God/man 2 natures in One being!

he is the unique God-Man...

Eternally begotten of the Father in His divine nature, his human nature born in bethlaham 2000 years ago!

7. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

neither... As God the Son always existed with the father/HS, just His humanity was "born" into existence!

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Scripture please. How was His devine nature begotten? What does that mean?

9. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

John 3:16 Only begotten of the Father

creeds add in begotten, not made, as he is same essense as God, not a lesser inferior creation of God as those of JW teach!

God always has His Son, Word of God, and they also always had the HS...

3 persons, seperate in roles/function, but same in essense/power/wisdom/knowledge etc!

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

:confused::confused::confused:

11. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I would throw in Hebrews 1:3 - "but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world."

The one who created the world is called the "son" so I would take that to be eternal sonship. (or at least as far back as creation goes)

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Back to the OP question. In what way is He the Son?

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heb 1:2 YLT in these last days did speak to us in a Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He did make the ages;

Luke 20:34,35 YLT And Jesus answering said to them, `The sons of this age do marry and are given in marriage, but those accounted worthy to obtain that age, and the rising again that is out of the dead, neither marry, nor are they given in marriage;

14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture4all Greek Interlinear Bible (NT)

John 1:1,2 In original was the saying and the saying was toward the God and God was the saying, this was in original toward the God.

14 And the saying flesh became (called his name Jesus)

Hebrew Interlinear Bible (OT)
    Deut 6:4 hear you ! Israel Yahweh Elohim (God) of us Yahweh one.

Matt 16:15.16 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Living God used 30 times in the KJV to describe God.

Jesus calls the Father "spirit the God." in John 4:24
    Matt 1:20 YLT `Joseph, son of David, thou mayest not fear to receive Mary thy wife, for that which in her was begotten [is] of the Holy Spirit, (I add, the God)

I ask was the man child Jesus an anthropomorphic of some part of John 1:1 above OR was he the begotten Son of the Living Speaking God
    the saying was toward the God and God was the saying. Spirit the God.

I do not have this chiseled in stone, I am only asking for discussion only and I believe it to be relative to the OP. Along with the questions in my original post.

Take the passage in Heb. concerning Levi paying tithes in Abraham. Why are we given this verse? Is it possible for it to say something concerning our understanding of The Father God and the Son God for I believe both to be God?

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ's Sonship has nothing to do with the Virgin Birth. It is the nature of His Person. He is the Son, and He is begotten of the Father. There is no understanding it, only the acceptance of it. God is not a man, and we cannot think of His nature in human terms. He is simply too big to be understood.

One day, we will see Him as He is.

16. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rare, I know, but had to agree here.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I assume by that you feel He has always been the Son for all eternity and I realize that is a common teaching, but do you have any scripture that might point to that?
    Also you mentioned begotten. At what point do you feel that applies, His physical birth or some other time before that?

18. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. Regarding the eternal son-ship of Christ, It seems that these verses describe that in the end, God the Father will put all things under the rule of Christ, EXCEPT for God the father himself. I would argue that this passage describes a return to the state that existed for eternity past, God the Father in a role of authority over God the Son, though both are equally God, they have different roles that existed for all time.

2. Regarding the OP: "In what ways is he the son?"
    - He bears the image of His Father, as sons do
    - He lives in a loving relationship of submission to His Father's will.
    - He call God Father, Which is something sons do.
    - He has the place of honor as the "firstborn" (this describing not his origin, but his standing compared to all others).
    - regarding "begotten"... some have described the son as eternally "flowing out of" the Father (like a never-beginning, never-ending fountain coming from a mountainside) I don't know off hand if this idea fits the biblical accounts or not, or if it is even helpful or not. I don't generally think it matters, so long as we do not start saying that God the son was "created" at some point in eternity past.

19. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well it is clear to me! Always Son but never the begotten Son.

Let me ask. Did the eternal Son the Word made flesh need this?

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ. 19 Wherefore then [serveth] the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; [and it was] ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. And Hebrews 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Titus 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

I wonder if that promise was for the sinful first man Adam or for the last Adam, the man child Jesus the only begotten Son of God the sinless one, the Lamb of God slain from the foundation of the world who would die for the first Adam.

Who do you believe that promise was made for?

Rom 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with [him], that we may be also glorified together. He has inherited and we like Abraham have not yet inherited. Heirs of what? Titus 3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin death; but the gift of God eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

When do we inherit it?