1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus the Word or the Bible the Word?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Matt Black, Jun 14, 2004.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The Bible is God's word from the Word---from Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22: 21---the words are Jesus' words written down!

The Bible is "Jesus Talking"

2. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

Which is more important, Jesus of the Bible? (BTW amen blackbird) The Bible tells us to focus on the Father. Jesus tells us to focus on the Father. I think it is safe to say that the true emphasis is to ummm focus on the Father??? You know, build our relationship first by trusting in the salvation through the blood of Jesus and then living right according to the moral law of the Bible!!!

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How then do we answer the problem of the more liberal Christocentrics?

Yours in Christ

Matt

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Matt---let the liberals answer to their own problem since they're the only ones who seem to have a problem with the inspired, infallable, inerrant word of God from the Word of God.

What's their problem anyway?? If its not written in red ink in the content of the four gospels--it didn't come from the mind of Jesus?? Is that the problem??

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

The reason some Christians become liberals/ have a problem with inerrancyis because they find it impossible to reconcile the loving picture of God displayed in Jesus Christ with what they describe as the 'genocidal monster' portrayed in some sections of the OT. Such a concept of God, they say, is unworthy of our worship and impossible to love eg: typical comments are "Such a god as you describe would be an abomination", "I think I'd blaspheme God and kill myself", "I came to the conclusion that a God like that was not worthy of my worship and I would take the consequences", "It makes God into a blood-thirsty monster. I can think of many deities I'd rather worship". Faced with that apparent dichotomy, they regard themselves as forced to either reject the God of the OT in Gnostic fashion or reject the OT as being innerrant or at least literal or a combination of both (hence my ref to Marcion) -most choose the rejection of inerrancy. What are we to say to them? How do we answer their charge?

Yours in Christ

Matt

6. BCrowe

BCrowe New Member

Jesus said the key ... He "came to seek and to save that which was lost." God the Father is judgmental of sin. He will deal with sin in the strongest of ways. That does not make Him a monster ... unless we are going to recreate God in our own image and thoughts. The problem of the liberal is that he/she wants to redefine the eternal God and Creator in their own ways. "If God is this way - I can't accept Him."

Real Christians do not have a higher understanding of God. We simply trust the Scriptures to be valid and the revealed God to be Who He is. Our finite minds will not be able to deal with Who God is ... so we have to trust that it will make sense when we can see the infinite and comprehend Him.

It simply comes down to - will you accept and worship the one who made you or will you decide who is God to you? The created never can decide anything about the creator. Some of what your questions are showing is the absence of creation thinking and the presence of evolutionary thought.

We live in a day of opinions ... even in the church. God does not care what a person's opinion of Him is. And in the church, God does not want our opinions making the decisions. The only opinion which ultimately matters is God's opinion. God will define Himself.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Thanks Brother Crowe!

From

Brother Crowe

8. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

That's a very good question, Matt. You have nailed the essential point. The problem is that most people have a square concept of God or a circle concept of God and then try to squeeze everything into it until it fits. Instead of trying to force God into our preconceived notions, wouldn't it be better to just learn what God is like and let the chips fall where they may. Each new thing we learn about God shouldn't modify our concept of God, it should add to it. It's like a painting with each new stoke enhancing the picture. It isn't a receipe with each new ingredient diluting and changing the previous ingredients.

9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

BCrowe, don't worry, I'M not the one espousing either the liberal tendencies or evolutionary thoughs! But I have friends who do struggle with these concepts and their only solution seems to be to espouse some form of more liberal interpretation of Scripture;it's not that they're saying "We're liberals, so we believe God as protrayed in the OT is a monster", rather it's the other way round

Yours in Christ

Matt

10. BCrowe

BCrowe New Member

Matt: I understand what you are saying. I think that Artimaeus is saying it right ... Liberals are forced into a Scripture non-response by their pre-conceived notions. They have determined ahead of time what type of character God must have. Then, they reject anything that disappoints their view. They are not dealing with God and Scripture from a credible academic perspective. No honest scholarship starts with a finished product ... honest scholarship demands a discovery (and with things about God, faith acceptance of those discoveries).

Consider 1 John 2:19

Bob

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Thanks, Brother Bob!

I'm not sure the argument will convince my liberal friends,but I'll see what comes back. They're response I guess will be along the lines of:- "I'm not rejecting Scripture - I'm trying to understand it in the light of the revelation of God in Jesus Christ and of modern scholarship. What you have done is taken a theory about scripture - inerrancy - and pushed it to a point where it ceases to make sense. People have said that if they were obliged to believe in the God inerrantists believe in they would cease to believe in God. I'd go further, I'd cease to believe in anything because for inerrantists reason doesn't work. You can't talk about right and wrong because for you genocide was quite acceptable in 1200 BC but utterly deplorable before or since. You can't talk about our shared humanity because it doesn't count outside the elect. You can't use concepts like love or justice because they mean whatever you need them to mean at any given time. You can't talk about logic and evidence because they are trumped by inerrancy every time.In short you have taken Christianity, which was supposed to bring the liberation and healing of Christ to the world and turned it into a nihilistic and irrationalist doctrine in which only blind obedience and conformity matter and in which reason and love are subjugated to maintaining a literal understanding of a book which has become substituted for the God it was meant to reveal to us."

That's the essence of the liberal rant. I accept it is based on preconceived ideas of 'what God should be like', but the prblem is that the liberal will say "well, we have received those preconceived ideas from the revelation of God in the Incarnation". Thus they maintain the inconsistency of the Christ with the God of the OT and again state they are 'forced' back on either gnosticism/Marcionism or a non-literal interpretation of the OT

Yours in Christ

Matt

12. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

And a position that includes inerrancy doesn't start with a finished product? You have to be kidding! [​IMG] An academic approach to theology (if there really is such a thing) must start with a text--in this case the bible. One would not come to see the Bible as inerrant and above question if one did not come to the bible with that preconception. It doesn't even claim that for itself.

A middle road between these two positions would place the revelation in Jesus as the central element in theology and the central thing revealed in the bible and trust the texts of scripture to convey a proper understanding of God while leaving the more "objective" aspects of history and science up for grabs. I think that is the closest we can get to "academic theology."

Grace and Peace, Danny [​IMG]

13. BCrowe

BCrowe New Member

Matt: Thank you for your concern for the Liberal. So many just write them off.

In recent years I have had the opportunity to work with some "scholars" at Princeton University. Princeton is prone to be very liberal ... to the point that they will go to any philosophy or religion to get whatever they say they need for their thoughts and theories. Often I am confronted with those who claim many letters after their name; yet lack basic common sense or faith.

The Christian faith (and God) is not for philosophical conjecture and scientific analysis. While the Bible is scientific, it is not following the scientific methods established by scholars. God has demanded that we approach Him through His methods, not ours. In other words, much of the Liberal’s problem is in methods and approaches. There is a strong Gnostic similarity in that a sense of higher attainment is part of their thinking.

Is it reasonable to “maintain the inconsistency of the Christ with the God of the OT and again state they are 'forced' back on either gnosticism/Marcionism or a non-literal interpretation of the OT”? Again it is illustrated that those of the Liberal bent are ignoring the realities of life around them. When I was a child, my Father was different (in my eyes) than during my teens, young adult or older years. In each period of life, he seemed to respond to me differently and I saw a different aspects of who he was. God, being infinite, has far more to understand than our earthly Fathers. The God of the OT is showing us that He has expectations concerning sin. He is showing us the basis by which He would judge each of our nations and us. That basis has not changed. In The Revelation we find God judging the nations and punishment is real. The issue is not the “inconsistency of the Christ with the God of the OT”, it is the unwillingness to accept that God will judge and deal with sin. Much of the Liberal argument is designed to allow us to do what we want in the garden. Until a liberal is willing to accept that God will hold all men accountable and separate sin from Himself, that person cannot truly accept the work of Christ on the Cross.

But here is my difficulty, how to deal with the liberal with respect and not have them interpret that respect as agreement with their philosophies? How do we get them to set aside the heady philosophy for a simple trust? I can’t help but think that the key is to get them to reflect on the true nature of God. After all, He can do more with their heart than we will ever do with our discussions.

14. BCrowe

BCrowe New Member

Danny: I think what I'm saying is that God is still active in honest discovery. After all, inerrancy is nothing without Divine Authorship. The author is more imprtant than the text.

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Brother Bob, thanks for your input again!

I have had an interesting liberal response to the suggestion that you made that we should just worship the Creator: "Why should we?" My response has been along the lines of "because of Who He is and BECAUSE WE'RE DESIGNED FOR IT".

Yours in Christ

Matt

16. BCrowe

BCrowe New Member

Good response! The issue of creation is bigger than most consider it to be. Personal Accountability is built into that concept. If I am an evolved ameba, then I'm not responsible ... and I can make my own rules. My thoughts, concepts, and feelings matter more if I'm an evolved being. But, if I'm created, it is God's thoughts, concepts, methods and demands that matter - not mine.

God bless your discussions with your Liberal friends. I'm praying for your efforts.

Yours In Christ's Service,
    Bob

17. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

Only if one presupposes a dichotomy between evolution and the creative power of God.

Matt, interrestingly enough your answer sounds much like the very modern (and very liberal by the standards of this board) Karl Rahner. Your statement could be a summary of his entire theological hermeneutic. His only spin would be that we are always in the state of being turned towards God--even in our weaknesses. (just thought this observation might be interesting)

Grace and Peace, Danny [​IMG]

18. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

-Lea butts in- ( ;) don't you just LOVE these? )

Example:

I make a videotape for my children after I have left this world so they can carry a piece of me always, and remember who I was to a T (looks, attitude, ect.)

God makes a book full of everything he wants us to know, learn, and remember about him. While i FIRMLY believe that God is talking today and we are just not listening, I believe that THIS book IS him as much as that videotape would be me.

**note: I'm not saying that I am God i'm just giving a comparasion for our discussion here [​IMG] **

-Lea butts out- [​IMG]

19. Matt Black

Site Supporter

But I'm sure your kids would rather have you than a video of you (unless their teenagers of course!). I guess this brings us back to square one of the post: is the nature of God as revealed in Jesus superior to that revealed in Scripture? Now what I say to my liberal friends is that without Scripture we would have no revelation of Jesus; that's kind of mostly true - there are certain doctrines to do with Jesus such as Penal Substitutionary Atonement, the need to accept Him into your life and the consequent relationship with God, the Chalcedonian Definition and His membership and place within the Trinity which, whilst theycan certainly be reasonably inferred from Scripture are nevertheless not present in Scripture in the full extent to which most Christians understand these today. So I kind of see where the liberals are coming from, although I disagree vehemently with their conclusions.

Yours in Christ

Matt

20. Matt Black

Site Supporter

One thing perhaps that those of a more liberal disposition have got right is this: I'm still haunted - and, frankly, disturbed and upset - by the image that came to me yesterday: Jesus blessing a child, smiling and with his hand resting gently on its head ... while all the time thinking how his glory and majesty will one day be displayed by his throwing this child into a lake of fire, if it does not confess him as Lord.

Yours in Christ

Matt