1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus wants you to drive 4x4, says S.African church

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Linda64, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Jesus wants you to drive 4x4, says S.African church
    Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:13AM EDT

By Rebecca Harrison

SOWETO, South Africa (Reuters Life!) - Jesus wants you to drive a brand new Nissan Navara 4x4. He'd also like you to live in a classy house, use the latest cell phone and wear the snappiest designer clothes.

That was the message from a recent Sunday sermon at the new Soweto branch of Brazil's huge Pentecostal-style Universal Church of the Kingdom of God (UCKG).

UCKG is expanding fast in Africa and bills its gleaming new cathedral in Soweto -- which seats 8,000 and has room for hundreds of plush cars in its vast underground car park -- as the biggest church on the continent.

UCKG's "prosperity gospel" message, which tells members to expect financial blessings from God as long as they give "sacrificially" when the collection plate comes around, is proving a hit in the world's poorest continent.

Entire article:

http://www.reuters.com/article/life...src=061107_1240_ARTICLE_PROMO_also_on_reuters

Here we go again!!

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    wow! I was told the same thing:laugh: Not only that, he told me not to even worry about having a drivers license:rolleyes: :D :eek:

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Then why were the disciples in a Honda. The Bible says they were all in one Accord.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

But at the same time, all the disciples had luxurious living quarters, since there are many mansions.

5. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I hope I am not guilty of taking myself too seriously. But it strikes me that the fun we have been having with this thread is indicative of an issue within the church -- namely, that we brush off or laugh off the serious breaches of the Faith that occur all across the landscape. Is it that because it is in Africa we don't worry about it? Is it that we are secretly envious that this group can "succeed" this way?

I know that ranting against them will not stop them or improve the Christian witness, but it just strikes me that we become much too accustomed to seeing these abuses, and letting them go without so much as a comment.

Off my negativity and back to finishing preaching preparation for tomorrow!

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

It is because of this:

I thank Thee o Lord that Thou hast not made me like these others............