1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jesus's Wine Fermented or NOT?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by givengrace, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Chessic

Chessic New Member

I feel the same way. But we "Baptists" have some unusual rules. This "Baptist only" forum for example, would except posts from Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Jessie Jackson, and Al Sharpton, for example, because they claim to be "baptists," but not Billy Graham, who only claims to be "evangelical." Should Christ return soon, he will not, apparently, be allowed to post here.

I don't know who Baptists are. I think the term has become as meaningless as "Christian," in Ireland, former Yugoslavia, or, indeed, any western culture.

2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Too true. :tear:

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

:laugh:

For example, check this out from a Presbyterian Church in Houston...

Funny, huh?

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Bwahahaha. You'd think the horse would stop running if it were dead.

5. stevenlynch

stevenlynch New Member

To heck with the wine...

I'm allergic to sulfa.

Sulfites in a lot of red wines gives me heart burn and massive migraines.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest, Honey Porter, and Scottish Ale however...

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not know where you got that kind of information but take a look at http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=2223129&PMT4NO=55141667

and

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=3458013&PMT4NO=55141908

and

"To test gage blocks for wringability, a 2-inch diameter, Reference Grade (1 microinch flatness) quartz optical flat should be used."

on http://www.qualitymag.com/CDA/Archives/cc580ee7f4c38010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0____

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Was Charlie Shedd the former pastor of that church?

8. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

Amen, brother! Scottish Ale is the best!!!...especially with a good cigar.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"I believe you meant to say "accept", in place of "except" which word would actually mean that the four politicos mentioned above, could not post here."

Signed, Language Cop

Ed says: "Thanks, L.C."

FTR, Billy Graham is (or at least was) a member of a local Baptist church, regardless of other descriptive statements he may have made, so I would guess he can post here, should he so choose.

And I would also claim to be an 'evangelical' and a 'fundamentalist' as well as a 'Baptist' and also a 'Christian' for the same reasons. These four terms are not mutually exclusive, any more than they are necessarily synonymous.

Ed

#109 EdSutton, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2008
  10. Spinach

Spinach New Member

"language cop" made me laugh. I may have to join you. I won't start a thread with my little pet peeves, but it's "lose", not "loose" (as in, Spinach really needs to "lose" some weight. Perhaps she should eat more spinach and she would notice her wardrobe becoming a little more "loose"). *Disclaimer---please read the above with the humor with which it was intended*

Back on subject, sort of----I didn't know there was sulfa in wine. I guess that's another reason to add to my list as to why I don't drink it.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Language Cop is the long-standing alter ego of EdSutton, from long before my days on the Baptist Board.

Incidentally, I did not know anything about any sulfa in wine, either, prior to this thread. My own late mother was very allergic to sulfa, although to my knowledge, she never drank any wine, at any time in her life. I'm fairly certain she knew nothing about any sulfa in it, however.

I also noticed the tag-line, at the end of your posts, which I believe came form my own late grandmother. At least I posted it here 2 and a half years ago.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=117068&postcount=7

I certainly do hope you enjoy using it, for it certainly is very true. :thumbs: :laugh:

Ed

#111 EdSutton, Dec 13, 2008
  12. stevenlynch

stevenlynch New Member

White wine better

I said RED wines tend to have sulfites in them... generally speaking... you'd be ok with a Chardonnay.

I've found the Rodney Strong Chardonnay most agreeable.

Buttery flavor.

Very nice on the palette.

Pinots tend to be a little too spicy for me... so I wonder if there's any sulfites in them.

I've had to stop frolicking with Cracker Barrel's delicious pickles too. Don't even get me started on Chinese Buffets. MSGs are a killer.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was a student at SWBTS some of the people there said that Graham was a member of FBC Dallas.

In the last church where I pastored there was a man who told me that he would never become a member there because he was a Catholic. While I found it hard to understand, I knew that he read his Bible, handed out tracts, was known in the community as a man of integrity, and shared his faith regularly. He claimed to not believe much of what the Catholic Church taught, but he had become a member there years and years earlier. Every week he worked around the church. I found him to have more wisdom than most of the leaders in the church. He was the most generous person in the church and supported me and my family a lot.

#113 gb93433, Dec 13, 2008
  14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Dr. Billy Graham and the late Dr. Harold Lindsell (The Battle for the Bible) were both members of FBC, Dallas in the early 1980s. As I said, I do not know where Dr. Graham is currently a member.

Dr. Robert A. Rohm, a friend and classmate of mine, many moons ago in Bible College, was also an Associate Pastor there, at that time, and wrote a biography of the then Sr. Pastor, the late Dr. W. A. Criswell, titled Dr. C: The Vision and Ministry of W. A. Criswell.

Ed

#114 EdSutton, Dec 13, 2008
  15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "But in most essentials there was little difference in production techniques or quality, so far as we can determine, between the wines of 2500 B.C. and those of A.D. 1800. After about A.D. 1800, distillation of alcohol from wines became common. Fortification of fermenting musts (crushed grapes, or grape juice) with this alcohol enabled regular production of dessert wines, especially in some of the Mediterranean countries. However, most of the production continued, and still continues, to be of unfortified, low-alcohol, natural table wines that were highly subject to spoilage; most were, therefore, consumed within 1 year of the vintage. Some great wines and even some aged winees were surely produced in ancient and an modern times before Louis Pasteur, but the process was highly empirical and the process of fermentation was so inadequately understoof that success was limited and sporadic.
    The prevalence of wine spoilage, particularly of the wines of Burgundy, was one of the reasons why Pasteur started his investigation of wines."
    ---Maynard A. Amerine, "The Search for Good Wine" Science, New Series, Vol. 154, No. 3757 (Dec. 30, 1966), p. 1622.

16. Allan

Allan Active Member

Apparently you need to re-read what I wrote.

I said the 'pyramid block' are so close that you can't get a razor between most of them and we have not been able to duplicate this procedure. And not just as one thing on top of another. But consistantly one upon another upon another upon another...

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The "spoilage" is not rotting, but becoming vinegar.

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pasteur identified various distinct putrefying processes that produced "mousy" wine, "ropy" wine, "bitter" wine, and, yes, sour wine.